Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eyelash Makeup Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eyelash Makeup Tips
    Posted: May 10 2003 at 4:26pm
Hi,

I keep little folders with all sorts of weird beauty tips and I found my eyelash tip notes last nite and through I would share. I hope you all will jump in and add yours.

1. Thicken lashes by layering

My makeup consultant friend told me to layer clear mascara between colored layers and that will add more thickness w/out gloopiness. I tried it and it works.

Or you can start with a pre-mascara base coat that will help add thickness from the bottom up. My friend used to recommend Origins which has some product called Underlash or maybe it is Underwear or something like that? Anyway, this was a new trick.

Apply each coat and let completely dry...using your mascara toothbrush to remore clumps inbetween.

I always limit to 3 layers or else it feels like "too much" but judge how many layers you feel most comfortable with.

2. Make eyes pop

Try tipping your lashes with a dark color to match your eyes to make eyes pop. You can use midnight blue or navy colored mascara for blue or blue/green eyes or experiment with different shades to alter the impact. You can also try framing your eyes with the color mascara and then tipping the ends of the lashes with black.

3. Avoids clumps

Apply mascara in left to right strokes to get full coverage but avoid clumping.

4. Use a Mascara with a "mini" brush to get smudgeproof color on lower lashes OR you can use an eye shadow brush that is smaller and less likely to smudge than a regular brush.

5. Use a small plastic ruler to "anchor" your eyelashes as you apply the mascara. This will help give you leverage to apply mascara to every single spot on your lashes. It sounded weird the first time it was recommended but I tried it and it really works. I also used my building access key once in a pinch and it worked as well.

6. Try adding a touch of eyeshadow powder inbetween mascara layers to add thickness. I tried this once with a dark brown eyeshadow powder and then added brown mascara over the top. It actually made my eyelashes look and feel a lot fatter.

Hope these help and I hope you will all try yours.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 1:21am
* Good tips, thanks Karen!
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 4:48am
Thanks for the tips, Karen. Eyelashes can be one of the trickiest areas on which to apply make-up, for me at least.

I have tried one of the new mini-brush mascaras from Maybelline, and the mini-brush works great. It's very easy to use.

I have one tip to add, something that is easy enough to follow but often overlooked. Keep your mascara supply fresh! There is nothing worse for clumps than old mascara. Sometimes I forget how long I've had one, then when I replace it I realize that I should have done so sooner. New mascara goes on so much nicer! I think the experts recommend that you change yours at least every two months.

And old mascara is a breeding ground for bacteria, something no one needs in their eyes.

tired Elissa
[/url]

Starburst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starburst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2003 at 1:22pm
Hi,

Good tips all. I did hear that you should throw away your mascara after a certain amount of time but I heard that it was 90 - 120 days although it makes sense that every two months would be true. Unfortunately I tend to forget when I bought mine and then worry that I have used it too long. Any thoughts on how to track that?

Star
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 10:37am
When mine gets clumpy, if I can't remember when I purchased it, I throw it away. Chances are it's been at least two months if I can't remember.
[/url]

Catta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 12:47pm
...and the best tip that will make both your eyelashes and mascara look to their full potential? An eyelash curler. No mascara can lengthen your lashes like this can. I'm addicted to mine. It's one of the best cosmetics inventions EVER!
sunni deeelight View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunni deeelight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 11:37am
all of that work is not necessary just dust closed eyes with loose powder, then apply mascara-+
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic