Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bergamot May Increase Sun Sensitivity!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bergamot May Increase Sun Sensitivity!
    Posted: February 22 2003 at 5:01pm
FYI to all your folks getting into aromatherapy. There are some general rules for using oils including never using them "neat" or undiluted. Another rule is to know how the different oils will react to external conditions like the sun. It is a well known fact that bergamot may increase sun sensitivity when used on the skin or in the hair.

So if you are experimenting with any aromatherapy recipes that have a heavy dose of beramot, research the potential side effects of using the formula on your skin or hair and then going into the sun.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2003 at 6:51pm
You are so right Karen. I'm quite sure that hypersensitivity to the sun is possible with all of the citrus oils. Here are a few more guidelines.

Cautionary Guide:
Never take essential oils internally. If essential oils are swallowed in any quantity, consult physician immediately.

Pregnant women should consult a doctor before using. Essential oils should be kept out of reach of children, preferably in a locked cabinet or container. Undiluted essential oils can cause skin irritation.

Before applying them to the skin, its recommended you perform a patch test or dilute them with carrier oils. Discontinue use if redness, burning or irritation occurs.

If essential oils come in contact with the eyes, flush immediately with cold water. Consult a physician if irritation or inflammation persist.

Never consume undiluted oils and cook only with those oils approved for food use.

Epileptics should refrain from use.

All pure essential oils eventually reach a point when they lose their fragrance and therapeutic properties.

Most will last over a year, and some, like patchouli will actually improve with age. To prolong shelf life of your oils, keep them sealed tightly in dark bottles and store in a cool, dark place.

Happy Blending.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2003 at 7:08pm
Hi Sophie,

Yes...probably all citrus oils can increase sun sensitivity. Thank you for pointing that out and for all your helpful aromatherapy tips.

Aromatherapy has always been like magic to me. I bought my first book in England when I was traveling there in 1987 at Blackwells. It was amazing all the formulas that I discovered. Since then I have tried so many different things from my simple lavender for restful sleep and my peppermint on my desk to perk up to all sorts of things for a range of issues.

I always forget all the basic operational facts that people need to know, so thank you for taking the time to list them here. I hope all the aromatherapy novices will read them and jot them down.

I love your posts. They keep me intriqued. Thank you so much.

Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Cantaloupe View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cantaloupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2003 at 7:43pm
What do you all use for the aromatherapy oil containers?
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2003 at 4:05pm
I love reading your posts too Karen. Your so open and positive, it makes this board fun for all ages.

Hi Cantilope.....(hmmm, that sounds good right now ) Dark colored glass works best. Plastic doesn't work well at all...sometimes the essential oils will actually break the plastic down. Stick to dark glass.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic