Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

General Safety Information

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: General Safety Information
    Posted: April 18 2003 at 7:08pm
Hi Uzma,

But only if I can send a package to you in exchange. :-)

I am sure I can think of something you might like. LOL

Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 6:25pm
Karen

When I make my next batch, I will send you some. Promise.

I'm going to try and make some REAL chocolate ones this time too as well as the usual vanilla and cardamom/iris ones.

So when you get a parcel from London smelling rather exotic, you'll know what's in it.

Take care

Uzma
Uzi

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 6:15pm
Hi uzma,

Thank you for the info. So. Can you tell me how I can buy your candles? :-)

Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 6:06pm
Hi Karen

I bought Vanilla oil in a heathfood shop in Naples, Italy, two years back - and used it up in a month. Unfortunately, I haven't been back there since and have not found the oil in the U.K or on the web.

In terms of candles, I make my own ~ so cannot recommend any particular brand.

You may want to experiment by getting a small oil burner, getting a couple of vanilla pods, steeping them in oil and then burning them.
Actually, I will try this tomorrow and let you know how it goes !!!

Sophie, unfortunately, Waitrose is in the U.K only, but I'm sure you can get vanilla pods on the net and in U.S healthfood shops and gourmet grocery stores.

Cheers

Uzma

Uzi

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 5:17pm
Hi Uzma & Sophie et all,

Thank you Uzma for the explanation. I have to confess that I burn candles in my office at HB.com. I prefer vanilla because it does seem to calm me from the stresses and strains of daily business. I am wondering if you have a recommendation for a line of candles that has a really solid vanilla bean aroma. The one I am burning now came from the local Super Target and I bought it because it had such a strong aroma of vanilla. I have not found any others like it and of course I don't have the brand name. UGH.

And yes, I was wondering where to buy the oil you mention. Sounds heavenly.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Karen
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 8:46pm
OH YEAH!!! Bryers Vanilla...That's good for you...Isn't it????

Wow Uzma, I will try this. Does Waitrose have a web site?? Maybe I will do a search for Vanilla Bean pods.....the health food store etc.

We all could use some Jarred Bliss!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 12:57am
Hello Vanilla Lovers

The fruit of the Vanilla plant is the pod, or bean, which bears the flavour and scent that we love.

Vanilla oil is made from cured, fermented and dried Vanilla beans. This oil is extracted using a chemical solvent.
Because the pods have been fermented and dried before the oil is extracted, the fragrance is intense.
This is the stronger of the two.
The pure Vanilla Extract you get in healthfood shops is made by the same process (bar solvent extraction) and is used in flavouring high-quality ice-cream, etc. Unfortunately, they use synthetic vanilla to scent most fragrant candles as it a zillion times cheaper.

Vanilla Bean oil is made from the un-cured immature vanilla pods and is a lighter oil used for massage and for other therapeutic purposes. It has a a "happiness-inducing" effect.
It is difficult to get hold off.

I tend to buy the cured and dried pods (from Waitrose in the UK) and steep them in virgin coconut oil in a warm place for a month. Oh my, jarred bliss......

Hope that helps, ladies....now for that ice-cream!!!

Uzma
Uzi

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 7:47pm
Hi Sophie,

I am totally confused now although all this talk of Vanilla Bean makes me hungry for ice cream. Although that is probably not the healthiest use of vanilla. LOL.

Paging Uzma. Helppppppppp! :-)

Karen
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 7:11pm
I would think the vanilla bean would be stronger...??? But...I haven't seen the vanilla bean or pure vanilla essential oil either. And is vanilla extract (we all use for cooking) what your talking about....

I have definately seen synthytic vanilla and I don't like that.

Uzma, give us the scoop.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 6:17pm
Hi,

I have to confess that I adore vanilla & almost always have a candle burning in my office but I have never heard of vanilla bean except in ice cream. What about you Uzma or anyone else?

I am curious to hear more about this.
Karen
Jazzed View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazzed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 4:48pm
Hi all,

Is there a difference between vanilla and vanilla bean essential oils? A lady at Whole Foods was telling me to get a really strong vanilla aroma that you need the pure vanilla and not the vanilla bean. I am thinking she is not correct but she was just a customer shopping so I figured I would ask the "real experts" here. :-) Does this make sense?
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2003 at 5:07pm
I also use some undiluted oils on my skin, however, it is very important to note that for MOST people and for MOST oils, this is NOT recommended.

Some people have burnt their skins by using undiluted oils. Others have developed excema and other distressing problems.

Please, everyone - essential oils are powerful and concentrated substances - exercise caution when using them.
Uzi

Tap Dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2003 at 4:50pm
I use (undiluted) French Lavender Oil on my skin all the time. I wouldn't use anything else. Lavender works really well at healing problem skin...for me, anyway.
[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/yerdumm/tapdancer2.gif" />
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 12:09pm
I suspect you are using too much of the peppermint eo.

You need to have a 1:20 proportion of eo to base oil. Otherwise the eo vapour will sting the delicate membranes of your eyes.

If you are diluting it sufficiently, than you may be experiencing a sensitivity to peppermint that is individual to you.

I would reduce increase the dilution and see if that makes a difference.
Uzi

Cyberchick View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyberchick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2003 at 7:31pm
For some reason even when I mix peppermint oil with a carrier oil and put it in my diffuser it makes my eyes burn. Do you all think I am using too much of the oil or could it be something else?
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 9:26pm
Good information Uzma!
Lady Maria
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 5:26pm
- Do not take any oils internally without consultation from a qualified aromatherapy practitioner.

- Do not apply undiluted essential oils, absolutes, CO2s or other concentrated essences onto the skin.

- If you are pregnant, epileptic, have liver damage, have cancer, or have any other medical problem, use oils only under the proper guidance of a qualified aromatherapy practitioner.

- Use extreme caution when using oils with children and give children only the gentlest oils at extremely low doses. It is safest to consult a qualified aromatherapy practitioner before using oils with children.

- A skin patch test should be conducted prior to using an oil that you've never used before. Instructions on conducting a skin patch test.
Uzi

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic