Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Too Much Rosemary 0r Too Much Jojoba?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bunkee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too Much Rosemary 0r Too Much Jojoba?
    Posted: June 07 2003 at 4:38pm
Hi,'

A friend of mine told me that I should try a mixture of Jojoba and Rosemary to help my dry hair. She suggested that I do it as a pre-shampoo treatment. My hair is mid-back. So based on her advise I mixed 2 tablespoons of Jojoba and 6 drops of Rosemary essential oil. I tried the treatment on my hair a couple of ways but even after shampooing my hair felt first a little oily and then tacky or sticky. I applied it to my hair when it was wet and I also tried it on my dry hair.

Am I using too much of something? Or does it take awhile for hair to adjust to jojoba oil? Could I be using too much Rosemary?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I didn't want to tell my friend because she was so convinced that it would be such a help to my hair and I didn't want to look like a hair klutz.
kab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2003 at 8:20pm
I also have some trouble with jojoba oil, which I only use about once a week. For the next wash (I usually keep it on overnight--I don't cover my head or anything and it doesn't seem to smudge the pillowcase) I use shampoo followed by diluted cider vinegar (just a splash in about 1/2 cup warm water) rinse, and follow up with regular conditioner. Altho on Monday mornings sometimes I feel faintly suggestive of vinegar, but I do like the way this two-day treatment makes my hair.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 11:20am
Hi Bunkee & Hi Kab,

Welcome to HairTalk.

Thanks for sharing your recipe Bunkee. I think maybe if you are not used to using oils that you might want to cut the recipe to about half and just use very sparingly on the most dry and damaged parts of your hair. Also, I think that you might want to be very careful to avoid the scalp area because oils can/do build up there. You might also want to experiment using just the jojoba for awhile or using less of the Rosemary.

Sometimes it takes a little practice to get the right formulas that work for your own hair type.

Kab...thanks for sharing your own recipe and technique. I always find that jojoba is never oily for me. It is the best oil that I play with...for me. Please keep us updated with your routine as you play with it. Sounds like you are getting some wonderful results.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
mysticaldodo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticaldodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 8:17am
Jojoba oil and rosemary would probably make a nice scalp massage. I use 10 drops jojoba, deep conditioner (I'm using Blue Malva only because I have no choice...I think it could potentially irritate scalps), 1 drop eucylaptus + peppermint, few drops tea tree oil (the pharmacy diluted type) and 1 drop lavander and massage on scalp. The essential oils really help tone and prevent my scalp from itching. I might switch to Tea Tree essential oil in the future but maybe thats too strong.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 1:53pm
If you're having trouble washing it out, then you're putting way too much in your hair. It shouldn't show, just make your hair feel less dry. For regular use, a 2-6 drops on your hands will be enough for one application and will not make the hair greasy.

I apply rosemary oil, tea tree oil, and lavender oil to my scalp, and a blend of jojoba and nut oil to my hair for a deep treatment. It washes out better with cheap conditioner than with shampoo.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
mysticaldodo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticaldodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 1:23am
I find that when I add these cleansing and purifying essential oils together with my Jojoba hot oil treatment, my scalps feels clean and my hair is reasonably clean. When I shampoo, it lathers like mad (usually doesn't lather) so its very clean. This is after 2 days of not washing! My hair gets greasy every other day or by the second day. I use more essential oils then the recommended standard by aromateraphist (2%) so my method might not work on sensitive scalps
kittybum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kittybum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 5:22pm

Use less of both and shampoo out twice.

NaturalBeauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaturalBeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 11:25am

My suggestions are apply shampoo before you wet your hair that works prety well.  I also add a small amout of those oils to my shampoo for daily moisturizing.

Yolligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yolligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 4:32pm

sorry didn't see date nevermind

Edited by Yolligirl - June 29 2006 at 4:33pm
Life is a journey, Enjoy the ride.

CalliaNatane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalliaNatane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2007 at 5:28am
Originally posted by Bunkee Bunkee wrote:

Hi,'

A friend of mine told me that I should try a mixture of Jojoba and Rosemary to help my dry hair. She suggested that I do it as a pre-shampoo treatment. My hair is mid-back. So based on her advise I mixed 2 tablespoons of Jojoba and 6 drops of Rosemary essential oil. I tried the treatment on my hair a couple of ways but even after shampooing my hair felt first a little oily and then tacky or sticky. I applied it to my hair when it was wet and I also tried it on my dry hair.

My hair is like that and i rinse and repeat twice yet it still comes out looking greasey on the lengths, kind of chunks together sillyly!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic