Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone out there ever done any modeling?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone out there ever done any modeling?
    Posted: June 07 2003 at 11:23pm
Well, have you?

I was "spotted" by a scout a year ago in Central Park. I was totally "Yeah right, whatever dude" about the whole thing, but I showed up at the info session, because what did I have to lose? I was about the oldest gal there, though not by far. Most were late teens, early 20s. I was 23.

I don't think there's anything about my face that's particularly striking, but I am built like a runway model. I have the height, that's for sure. I'm 5' 11".

I didn't go through with it though, cuz they wanted $600 to sign me on, and I'd have to pay for my own photographs. I was disgusted with them and never pursued it. They wouldn't let me think about and come back next week or even tomorrow. Had to sign NOW. So I left.

I'm not really into modeling, I hardly even ever wear makeup, and I usually dress on the frumpy side. But I thought it might be a fun way to make a little pocket money. Can anyone give me advice?

I would have been happy to pay the $600 if they could give me statistics on how likely it would be that I'd get contracts, but no dice. That's what I want to know really. How hard is it to find work? I know you must put in some investment up front, because you must have professional photos taken, at the least.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 10:07am
I am replying to the post myself just so the topic appears in the list of Today's Active Topics.

Aren't I a stinker? I hope someone out there can give me advice.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 10:27am
Hi Traci...how's it going? Any news on the possible job? I have ZERO tips to give you as far as modeling goes, since the only work I did was a long time ago and was nothing close to professional. I can tell you that getting headshots and other photos done might not be as expensive as you'd expect. When I worked as a reporter I became good friends with one of the photographers. (She's going to do my engagement photos...whenever I actually become engaged, after six years!) Anyway, you could call a local newspaper and ask for photographers' contact info, freelance or staff. Often they can get a couple of shots done for a LOT less than a studio, plus you'll have a nice present to send home to the family.

You don't necessarily have to have professional shots done either; if you have a friend with good equipment and some basic photography skills you'd be surprised by how much you can accomplish with a couple of lens and filters. I'm sure in your business you can find someone! Good luck hon...I hope someone else can offer you other tips!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 11:38am
Hi SG,

OK. I have several scoops for you about modeling. Do you live near New York, Chicago, Dallas or LA? This is key for getting into modeling.

The second thing to know is that you should NEVER have to pay to be a model. They will either pay you OR they will trade you for portfolio photos. That is what we do with our HB.com models. We let the professional photogs we use pick our models and then depending on how we are going to use the photos (commerically or just for HB) we either pay the models OR we give them a DVD or CD with all their finished images that they can then use to shop w/ other deals or modeling agencies.

There is no such thing as a "hair model" by the way. For all of our HB shoots or the shoots we do for the hair mags (which are mostly done in NYC) the photographers look at the total package (face, eyes, hair, skin coloring, body, height, weight) etc., A lot of times the hair is completely redesigned anyway. Sometimes the model has to agree to have it colored or cut. That is part of the deal. If that is the case, they will often be paid or get several copies of a portfolio.

If a model has to pay a photographer to create a portfolio it is very expensive. The thing about shoots is that there is always a professional stylist, makeup artist and professional photographer. The photos usually appear in print (which also helps the model get additional jobs) and it is done very professionally. So many model wannabes line up to work on hair shoots.

Many of the images you see at HB.com are from our various shoots. We have had a few of the models go on and get TV commercials and other work as a result of appearing at HB and in the hair mags we work with.

I will be only to happy to help in any way that I can.

You can post here or email me privately or bmail me.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 3:01pm
Wow, thanks guys!

I do live outside of NYC. So I think I will call some places next week and see about their open calls. I need to take some casual photos of myself, too. I was looking on some agency's websites last night and I see they request that. Too bad I have a big red blotch on my chin right now! Grrrr.

I do sort of know some photographers from work. Maybe I could talk to them. I imagine they're busy though. And I don't know them very well. But worth looking into. Good suggestion!

As for the REAL job I've interviewed for... thanks for asking Lyris. I should hear back next week. Crossing my fingers!

I'm not sure I'll ever get into modeling, it's just a consideration. Like I said, my face is nothing special, and I don't have much of a jaw line, which is a hinderance I think. It sounds modeling takes a lot of dedication to get work, and I'll hopefully be too busy with my real career to compete with other NY gals who are trying to do it full time.
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 11:20am
Hi Karen,

Just wondering about the comment you made that models either get paid or the work is done in exchange for the photos. Is that only for the case of HB.com and the hair magazines?

I'm curious because I know pictures of various jobs and shoots are important to add to the portfolio, but is it possible to ask for photos when one is getting paid?

Thanks.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 2:42pm
Hi Purple,

Everything, as I have learned, within the hair and beauty world is negotiable. I did recently write the technicals for an Updo "soft copy" boo (now on newstands) and all the models in that book were "professionals" booked through a New York modeling agency. They were paid a minimum shoot fee that was based upon their experience and billing rates. Those models did NOT get photos. The models could conceivably buy the Updo book though and show it when they were being considered for other jobs.

On some of the various HB.com shoots, we used amateur/model wannabes. They do not get paid per se for posing although they usually get to keep any/all hair accessories or jewelry/clothes they wear (which can be worth a lot I might add) and they get a CD with all their images that they can use to promote themselves w/ modeling agencies. So their pay comes in the form of comped goodies anda complete portfolio.

It also helps their modeling career potentials if their images are actually used in print or in other mediums like HB.com. Photographers and agencies want to see what the model will actually look like in the real medium and like anything else, they don't want to invest time and money on an unproven risk.

As far as models who get paid by receiving their photos...this is negotiable according to other factors. The model agency that books the models might write a stipulation into the contract that the models receive a copy of the images but again, they might not. Or the models might cost less per hour but require photos and the right to keep the accessories etc.,

To answer your question....this is not only the case of HB.com and hair magazines. This is done in all mediums from print to the Web to TV to radio etc., A lot depends on the goals of the shoot, the experience and value of the model to the shoot and what the budget allows. I can't name names of course but I know of several fashion mags that wheel and deal. Of course if you are Cindy Crawford the rules are completely different. :-)

At HB.com we do all sorts of things w/ shoots and models. We do our own photo shoots here in Dallas at the HB.com facility on a regular basis. We hire a professional photographer (who specializes in hair) and we pay a stylist and a makeup artist an hourly rate to particpate. Depending on what the shoot is for (just for use on HB.com or for use in print) we will either book models from a Dallas agency and pay for their time on the shoot OR we will find model wannabes that want the exposure and trade them "in kind". We get tons of people who contact us and want to work "for trade" for the exposure.

Again, each situation depends on the ultimate goals of the shoot and the goals of the models and participants.

Hope that helps and is not too complicated an answer.

By the way, a full blown shoot with professional photographers, hairstylists, makeup artists and models, not counting the clothes, accessories and other equipment can be very expensive. The first time I priced one out for HB I about had a stroke.
:-)

Best wishes,
Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Gally3d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gally3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 3:12pm

Edited by Gally3d - January 02 2009 at 11:02am
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 8:19pm
*****I never really wanted to be a fashion model like so many girls did. Yet it was often suggested to me that I had the looks to be a model.
I am fairly tall and reasonably slender with, I think, a nice body shape. My face I think, is pretty enough, not bad. I have high cheekbones and brown eyes. I'm a brunette of half Slavic/half Italian heritage.
I was often told in high school and college that I should model, including by a woman from my neighborhood in Milwaukee who did some modeling in New York.

***** At the time I guess I was just a little too shy and introverted to try and land a modeling job. Now that I am in my thirties I kind of wish I had tried it, if only for a year or two, just to experience it.

I do love fashion!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 9:51pm
Hey everyone! Thanks again for your thoughts.

Karen, you wrote an updo book?? What's it called?

Gally3d, thanks for sharing that! I thought the $600 was a little shady. They didn't offer much help or photography or a portfolio. They operated some web search engine which was supposedly where people who hire models could search easily for models with features they wanted. Which makes sense, but could also be a total hoax. I probably should have asked to sit down at one of their computers and search their database. I do think they were legit, but probably not as prominent as they said. Probably not a well spent $600.
And also, I'm afraid you're right about my being too old for runway modeling. Which is too bad. How hard can it be? I can sashay! But I can see that you are probably right.
I do think I'd do better runway modeling than print. My face is nothing special. It's not bad or anything, it's just not striking.

So KathyAnn, I think I will retire before I start, like you. :) And that's OK. I think most models are too vain anyhow.

Gally3d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gally3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 1:47pm

Edited by Gally3d - January 02 2009 at 11:03am
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 4:48pm
Hi SG,

Thank you for asking. Yes I wrote the technicals (step by step instructions) for an Updo soft book-magazine. It is on the newstands right now. :-) It is from Multimedia and it is called Quick & Easy Updos - Your Guide To The Hottest Updos.

Best wishes,
Karen :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 8:17pm
Thanks Gally. Is that you in your avatar, BTW??

I've never heard of An Oost. She doesn't really look familiar either. But you're right, she is a good example. I think she does have something I lack though. A prominent jawline. My face just kind of fades into my neck. Grrrr.
I think I could probably get somewhere in modeling if I really tried, but that's precisely the rub. I'm too busy working on my real career (which is fun and I love it, but it doesn't pay much) I was/am looking to modeling as an easy way to make some extra dough. While the work may be easy, getting it really isn't. Unless you happen to get lucky, I think.

Karen, I will keep an eye out for that book/mag at my local Barnes & Noble!
Gally3d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gally3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 12:06am

Edited by Gally3d - January 02 2009 at 11:03am
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 5:34am
Hi Gally3d

I for one think your avatar is great. Even if the colors aren't as good as they could be. :-)

By the way, what do you think of the current reality show - SuperModel or Models or whatever the official name is?

Best wishes,
Karen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 5:09pm
Yeah, I agree. You have a beautiful, striking face. I think you could do very well in modeling.

I looked at the website you have linked in your profile, and I think those are pretty good photos, too. Your photographer knew what s/he was doing.

Have you had many jobs so far? Are you a student, or do you have another full time job? Or are you trying to model full time?

Do a lot of people make their living modeling? (Other than supermodels we all know by name) Does it really pay enough?

I would gladly volunteer to model for HB.com for free, but Karen is in Dallas, and I am in NYC.

Karen- I haven't seen the new show. I imagine it's full of teenagers who look like Britney. Yuck! I did see something that was on Channel 4 in Britain. I forget what it was called, but it was the same idea. They reran it on the Metro Channel in NYC.
Anyway, they did a nationwide search that anyone could audition for, and then they took like the top 10 girls and put them in an apartment together for a month and tried to give them training so they could get contracts. Of course, only 2 girls really made any money, and the rest of the girls resented them for it. It was kind of amusing that way. Some of them threw temper tantrums!

You could see why some girls weren't getting any jobs. They were guaranteed some work as part of the show... and they would show up to work and would complain complain complain and then not even cooperate with the photographer.

It was a good show. I wasted the better part of an afternoon once watching the marathon.
Gally3d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gally3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2003 at 2:23pm

Edited by Gally3d - January 02 2009 at 11:04am
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2003 at 2:55am
Hi SG and Gallery3d,

To SG...actually Super Model is fascinating. There is only one wannabe model that is 18 and the rest are in their 20s. One is actually probably 26 ish.

The episode that I just watched had them learning to do commericals and go to acting class. It was fascinating. I am not sure if this is how real life modeling is but it seems like it is very true to life.

SG if you are interested in volunteering to model and you want to send me some photos of you, I will pass them on to some of my NYC contacts for future shoots. I can't promise anything because the photographers and the editors pick the girls but what they look for is a pretty face and eyes, decent hair (although hair is not the biggest concern) and a body that is proportionate in height/weight.

I do know several stylists and photographers looking for novice models for hair shoots and I would be happy to send them your photos. These are people you can trust and legit. However, you would probably not get paid or if you did, it would be marginal. I suspect though that you could get a portfolio....and that would be true if the shoot was a HB.com/NYC project.

You have my email. Let me know if you are serious about this and I will do my best to hook you up.

And Gallery3d you are really beautiful. You may be a graphic designer but I bet you could do well if modeling were your interest.

Best wishes,
Karen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 8:58pm
Thanks Karen! I'll think about it. I'll have to get someone (probably my hubby) to take some nice photos of me.

But I'll work on it. Thanks for the kind offer! I realize you can't promise anything.
Traci
Gally3d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gally3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 7:05pm

Edited by Gally3d - January 02 2009 at 11:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic