Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barbering taught in Beauty School??????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CHEEKIE1218 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHEEKIE1218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barbering taught in Beauty School??????
    Posted: February 03 2004 at 4:32pm
Just curioius,

Is barbering taught in cosmetology school????
CHEEKIE
Swirlzz22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swirlzz22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2004 at 8:15pm
i went to blaine....
you learn the basic mens cuts and razor, clipper and buzzer cuts, but thats it, when your in a salon and with experiance stylist you learn alot more..
clipperking View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clipperking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2004 at 4:23pm
Cosmetology schools DON'T teach old fashioned barbering. It's a completely different way of cutting.
LayCJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LayCJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 10:40pm
Yah, i agree with clipperking...you dont learn the traditional barbering in cosmetology. For me in cosmetology we learned the basics--got some male clients but not enough to make you fully comfortable once you get into a shop. (for me aynway) Right now i have just under 2 months left of barbering school and am glad i did it--it tought me more precision in my guys haircutting but also in my female clients.
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 8:13pm
Good luck to everyone on learning barbering

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clipperking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 11:58pm

I can respect and agree with every ones comments on barbering, also I would like ot send my respects out from one CLIPPERKING to another here in cali. I do believe that ot some extent barbering is a lost art, but here in cali it is back on the rise. It is actually more fashionable to be at the barbershop again rather than salon for men on the most part. I have developed and structered several barbershops, and business structure today is by far different than traditional barbershops. That is what alot of barbers do fail to realize in order to have a successful business. A business owner can over simplify his or her business by not changing with the times. Traditional barbers are fading not because of lack of interes in the field, because of lack of change. Most try to stay in a time warp, that is not healthy for business. Being innovative, diversifying, and learning all you can about both fields is so important to compete in todays market. The low rent hole in the wall barbershop can get its respect and survive,for the most part do ok, but can never meets its full potential.

After working, training, and learning from others for over 20 years I have found that eve though cosmotologist do not learn traditional barbering they dominate the field in almost every barbershop in cali.Not only do they dominate, they have teachable attitudes that they learn from the time they start cosmo school. Barbers are great, but most don't allow themselves to be taught or grow with the field. Barbering is a great trade.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clipperking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 12:18am

The way I teach and strongly emphasize is, "The more you know the more valuable you are." Right now I am in the process of opening another shop, and I have a training course provided for cosmos who come aboard to learn to fade. That is the most highly demaned cut out there today. I am working with some really energetic and excited cosmotologists during this process. As for my barbers, well lets say I can't hire most of them because they refuse to deal with fades and anything current like line-ups, designs, ect. They forget that a barbers true title is a transorial artist, wich signifies creating change and design. Ask a barber to do a color, see what he says. Yet, he must learn it for state board but no desire to practice it in the field. I am proud to be a barber! Straight talk, I am a success because I see it how it really is and I take neccessary steps. As for straihgt razors, I know its not hte topic but I want to kill a lie about that too. They so not spread AIDS. If so state board would band them from use, especially in cali.The truth, most people are just lazy and make excuses not ot use them. My crew gives dozens of razor outlines and razor fades daily to a large portion of our clients, by popular demand, because nothing compares to that ultimate clean feeling for a man like that blade. Real Talk. Thank you for allowing me to share in this wonderful conversation. Looking forward to responses.

KING JAMES THE CLIPPERKING 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clipperking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 12:40am

My message to barbers & cosmos alike, to be successful in this business you must have a passion for hair, a desire to grow, and equally appreciate the value of yourself and the worth of your service.

Do not limit yourself, learn them all. All ages and ethinic groups are equally important to add to your personal value.

A common mistake in barbers is that they grow old with there clients. That means they stop growing as business men or woman. Not good.

Another suggestion, do not undersell yourself, it sends the wrong message. Low prices are generally viewed as cheap not inexspensive. so be carefull of that. If you feel that raising your prices to your true value or even the current market value will run off your customers, then it is seriously time to consider relocating. It means you won't be appreciated no matter how good your are. That is unhealthy, because still the name of the game no matter what is money. Being the best to be paid the best.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic