Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What won't you wear?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What won't you wear?
    Posted: June 09 2003 at 1:41pm
There are no v-necks in my closet. Although tall, I'm a little bit short-waisted and a V-neck exaggerates this and is definitely not a good look on me.

I will not wear extremely pointy high heels. Aesthetically, they're beautiful and feminine, but I cannot walk from my bedroom to the front door in them.

I will not wear long shorts. I find them "granny" looking. I wear short shorts (with no intimate parts showing, however) or long slacks, but nothing in-between.
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 3:52pm
i won't wear leggings i feel my legs are to skinny.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 4:08pm
1.) "Floods" (read: pants that shrunk in the wash)
2.) Lettuce-edge tops.
3.) Anything with Puffy Paint on it. The 80s are still too vivid a memory.
4.) Birkenstocks.
5.) Linen. My back pocket isn't big enough for an iron.
6.) Oversized tee shirts. I don't go out in the morning expecting to gain enough weight to fill it by evening.
7.) Anything lime green or puce, although I had a red-hot infatuation with fatigue green a few years ago.
8.) Flannel shirts. You won't catch me chopping down redwoods for the logging industry any time soon.
9.) Spandex pants (except when skating...it's rather expected then)
10.) Any item that requires the wearer to go bra-less. Financial and moral support aren't the only kinds I need!

:-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 4:10pm
A bikini.

Over-exposure!!!
Uzi

SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 10:33pm
No Birkenstocks, Lyris? I love Birkenstocks!!

I agree, no granny, knee-length shorts.
Nothing with cats or dogs on it. I really should skip other licensed characters, too, but the Grover shirts are staying!!
Canvas sneakers.
Cardigan sweaters (that's what you call it when they button down the front, right? Like Mr. Rogers.)

You know what I would like to wear again? Leggings with shorts and sneakers. Just like Flashdance. I like leggings.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 10:53pm
1) ditto in the Birkenstocks (blah)
2)Spandex or leggings-nobody looks good in them
3) Anything with a high neck/turtle neck- large busted women should never wear these, which I am.
4) Any straight leg pants or jeans- bad 80's memory
5) Any top that shows the mid-drift- I know this is the style but I like it better if it is covered by a tank,(too many fatty bellies in the world trying to pull this one off)
6) A banana clip- see #4
7) White shoes- except for sneakers
8) A poncho- dictates someone with "issues"
9) Anything with the word "Harley" on it.
10) High top sneakers-see #4
11) Sweat pants-screams laziness, but yoga pants are ok.
12) Go out in public without make-up- too many clients that can run into you, I have a rep to upstand, I am a Beauty Pro for goodness sakes.
13) White hose- enough said.
14) any purse that is Donney & Burke, Croceited, or is too small for my checkbooks.

This is a great thread, this was fun.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 7:25am
Good lists gals...this is fun. Somehow I forgot one really important item: Tapered Jeans!!!!!!!!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 9:59am
Lyris, what are tapered jeans? You mean that taper down close to the ankle? If so, those are my favorite style of pants! I find them incredibly slenderizing, and I really love them.

I also love Birkenstocks! Of course, they're very informal, but a sundress and Birkies in the summer is my uniform.

*Except when exercising*, I will not wear white trainers (tennis shoes or sneakers). Yuck!

I agree, Lyris, with the lettuce edged tops. I simply do not like them.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 4:23pm
You guys must all be young! I love long shorts and wouldn't be caught dead in short ones. Vericose veins and cellulite aren't something I want to share with the world. If you have the legs for them more power to you, but if not, long shorts are a kindness.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 5:59pm
Yes Jennifer, those are tapered :-) I've just never been a fan...I prefer the straight leg variety. I find they lay over shoes better, if that makes sense.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2003 at 8:26pm
Remember folding and rolling your jeans at the ankle so they would LOOK tapered? Circa 1990... 91...

I used to like tapered jeans, but now, yes, all of my pants must fit over my shoes, preferably hiding half of my foot, so the back of the pant touches the ground (barely) when I am not wearing shoes.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2003 at 9:32pm
Oh my!!
I thought of another one, well, I saw it today!!

Those two colored baseball shirts. You know, the ones that are white with the colored 3/4 sleeves. They look good on NO ONE!!!!!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by SuperGrover SuperGrover wrote:

Remember folding and rolling your jeans at the ankle so they would LOOK tapered? Circa 1990... 91...

I used to like tapered jeans, but now, yes, all of my pants must fit over my shoes, preferably hiding half of my foot, so the back of the pant touches the ground (barely) when I am not wearing shoes.

LOL! i did that in 8th grade. i would wake my grandma before school to do the fold and roll. my mom couldn't do it. i think my grandma was happy too when i finally graduated between rolling my pants in jr. high, then french braiding my hair in high school at the crack of dawn. i still wonder why the heck i didn't have my boyfriend at the time fold and roll them. he did his and he did alex's pants[our friend] alex doen't have hands.
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by LiliBeach LiliBeach wrote:

Oh my!!
I thought of another one, well, I saw it today!!

Those two colored baseball shirts. You know, the ones that are white with the colored 3/4 sleeves. They look good on NO ONE!!!!!!

I'm going to have to disagree with you there, Lili. I LOVE those shirts!
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 10:06pm
We will just have to agree to disagree.
3katz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3katz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2003 at 4:57pm
Anything restricting: tight/elastic ankles, buttoned cuffs.

Anything too formfitting/revealing: hubby was retrained as to clothing gifts. He still loves clothes from the eighties with that big shoulder, short skirt look. Sounds like a case of arrested development to me.

Anything baggy: makes me feel fat.

Anything *mom* or *kindergarten teacher*: jumpers, big lace collars, too cute/craftsy/hippy leftover/overembellished clothes/colors/jewelry.

I ask myself: "Would my mother or teenage daughter wear this?" If the answer is yes, I probably won't buy it.

I am starting to wear higher heels than I used to, not really high heels; I thought I was too tall, but figured scr*** it, it doesn't change the fact that I'm 5'10".

The list is long.

Jean
GadgetMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 2:52pm
Old thread, but I need to toss in my two cents.
1. Anything from the "peasant/hippy" look craze...I dont find it flattering on anyone.
2. Sweats, the sole exception being a black velour jacket.
3. Sneakers.
4. Anything navy blue
5. Jeans
6. Pants any color other than black, with a few rare exceptions (no, not a crazy goth, just very picky)
7. Pink lipstick

As I'm sure you can guess, for my age, I'm over-dressed at all times, to the point of it being humorous.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by GadgetMouse GadgetMouse wrote:

Old thread, but I need to toss in my two cents.
1. Anything from the "peasant/hippy" look craze...I dont find it flattering on anyone.

Well you've just never seen me.

GadgetMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 10:14am
Aww, I'm sorry. I'm sure you look great. I just know I wouldn't.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic