Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tattoos,...do you like them?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 8:55pm
my husband has one on his back. it is the symbol from OB where he lived when he came to san diego. it basically looks like a cross with OB's zip code. he has moved 3 times since he got his tattoo. i tease him if he's going to get the other zip codes put in so he knows where he has been
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 9:39pm
I have thought about getting one on and off for a couple of years, but in the end I decided against it because of the permanency.

I have a whole slew of temporary tattoos that I'd ordered a long time ago. For a time last summer, I was into them. So now if I ever get the urge, I can put one on for a day or a week. They don't look as good as the real thing but they can be kind of cute. I have all different hearts, roses, and butterflies. My favorite place to put them is on my ankle, or high up on one of my breasts, so you can see it in my bra but not when I'm wearing a shirt. I like that--it's sexy but my secret.

Some people think the temporary ones are lame, but for me they do the trick.

Elissa
[/url]

Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 10:17pm
Quote ome people think the temporary ones are lame, but for me they do the trick.

Not lame at all -- I've used them myself! Of course, the cool thing is what you stated -- you can change them whenever you want and always wear something fresh.

I would hope that we all agree that one should never be pressured to permanently tattoo his body. My inclination (and I could be wrong) is that those who say temporary tattoos are lame are ones who have submitted to permanent ones and are looking for others to validate their own decisions.

To each his own!
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 10:25pm
Ok, Time for Lili to fess up!!!

Yes, this ultra conservative southern girl has a tattoo. Part of me wanted it because it was the in thing to do the other was because of the dictator of a boss I used to have forbade them and if any of his employees gets one they are fired. (somehow I think that this infringed on our freedom of speech) anyhow, As soon as I was free from this dictatorship of a salon and opened my own I got one!!

Its a beautiful scallop shell on my ankle about the size of a nickel. I hid it from my mom for almost a year. When she finally saw it, I thought she was going to have a heart attack.

Its been three years since and I have yet to regret it, nor have I ever tried to hide it since my mom knows now. (BTW, I am 36 yrs old)

Its really fun for the "shock value" when my friends find out because if you knew me in person, I would be the last person you wold ever suspect of having one.

BTW, It hurt really bad!!! Like someone was carving on my ankle with an exacto knife. I don''t know how people stand to get the big ones.
Yes, I believe it takes alot of guts.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by princessmonica princessmonica wrote:

my husband has one on his back. it is the symbol from OB where he lived when he came to san diego.

Ahhh....Ocean Beach. What a beautiful place! I loved it there. That was the first place outside of NY I ever felt I could live (at that time).

The beach...the bars...the weather...the mellow locals...I could go there and never return.

Elissa
[/url]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 10:48pm
thank you elissa for putting ocean beach for people who might not know what OB stands for. i forgot to put it.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 7:34am
Wow, Lisa has a tattoo! :-) It sounds lovely....except for the Exacto knife pain. Another reason they're not for me!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 1:16pm
I put a lot of thought into each of the tatts I have. Time spanned between them...not one of those drunken, spontaneous decisions that one will live to regret.

One on my right ankle...original not from a book, or having been seen on another. I told the guy what I had in mind...an idea that had come from my love of cats. It's beautiful, unique and to this day remains my favorite....It's cat eyes, nose, mouth and whiskers...almost like silhouette, but not exactly...subtle shading, a hint of color. The other is a vine around the toe next to my big toe on left foot...again it is one I've had many compliments on and a couple of ladies I work with have gotten one like it.

Have a tiger head on my left hip...looks very good with high-cut bathing suit bottom...it's not real big..just right.

I have been tossing around the idea of some sort of tribal in the small of my back...but until it's a firm decision, with no doubts then I won't do it. May not...who knows. For now I'm quite pleased with the ones I have.

Funny story, will try to keep it short as have posted a long one this time *lol* two years ago I landed in the ER, after emergency surgery I spent 6 days in the hospital...all of my nurses loved my tatts. What's cool is most of them were your average 'little old ladies' and they were so good to me, asking sooo many questions about them...one of them, a cat lover herself made a pic of the one on my ankle..she said she was gonna get one..who knows?! Stranger things have happened *lol*

Well guys I better get back to work...do what it is they pay me to do.

Later
Mylissa
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 12:02am

i tease him if he's going to get the other zip codes put in so he knows where he has been

LOL! You crack me up.

My in-laws have a thing that hangs in their living room with a heart that says each town they've lived in. (My father-in-law is a retired Army chaplain, so they moved a lot.) Similar idea. But I like the tattoo form better!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
crazzzycait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazzzycait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 12:53am
My ex-boyfriend had 6 tattooes..1 on each upper arm, 1 on each inner forearm (4 total), a tribal one around his belly button and one on his back.

He had like the most amazing body..the body n the tattooes..mmm made me all hot 'n bothered haha sorry
escucha el ritmo de tu corazon...te amo. <3 caiter tot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 4:48am
Originally posted by SuperGrover SuperGrover wrote:

i tease him if he's going to get the other zip codes put in so he knows where he has been

LOL! You crack me up.

My in-laws have a thing that hangs in their living room with a heart that says each town they've lived in. (My father-in-law is a retired Army chaplain, so they moved a lot.) Similar idea. But I like the tattoo form better!

Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2003 at 11:06am
Here's an interesting (and informative) story on getting tattoos:

http://womencentral.msn.com/beautystyle/articles/tattoo.asp
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2003 at 11:56am
I enjoy looking at tattoos on other people. I think they are beautiful and I always wonder why people choose the tattoos that they have. Their reasons always tell an interesting story like Princess Monica's husband's. I don't have the guts for it though. But at least I can appreciate tattoos on other people.

Princess Monica,
I was trying to figure out what OB stood for. I thought it might be Outer Banks. Now I know it's Ocean Beach. Thanks.
"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me."
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2003 at 12:02pm
I come from the generation that associates tatoos with weird old men who had shady pasts, and probably killed women and children in WWII or Vietnam. So they really make me shudder.

That said, I have a 17 year old daughter who just loves them and really wants a visible one. She snuck off a couple of years ago and got one where no one can ever see it. I happened to spy it one day and both her Dad and I had fits. But I am beginning to soften. It appears to be something that is quite fashionable and so many people are getting them that I don't think the stigma attached to them will be around much longer.

My daughter has a bad scar on her ankle from a boating accident and wants a tatoo to cover it up. I am visiting her plastic surgeon with her tomorrow to see if this is even feasible due to the extensive damage to the skin. I fear that if she ever wants a corporate job that she might not be able to get it with a tatoo in that spot but she is adamant about covering the scar so I am trying to have a paradigm shift and see tatoos for a fashion statement rather than something underworld and low class.

I would not consider one for myself right now but then you never know........
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2003 at 12:23pm
Quote emodoll originally wrote

My daughter has a bad scar on her ankle from a boating accident and wants a tatoo to cover it up.

that's another reason why my husband wanted a tattoo. he had bad acne on his back when he was a teen. he had some scars from them. he wanted a tattoo to cover them up.
Brent E.. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2003 at 7:32pm
Demodoll:
Easy on the W.W.II and Vietnam veterans. I can assure you most of them DID NOT kill women and children but they did experience alot of horror that scarred many of them for life.
While the rich sat back in comfort, the poor served in the military and died in the wars.
Please; a little respect for the veteran. We would all be living under dictatorships of the /Communist variety if not for these brave military veterans.
Brent E. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2003 at 7:34pm
I meant to say Fasscist/Communist variety of dicatatorships.
whitney_brett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2003 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by demodoll demodoll wrote:

I come from the generation that associates tatoos with weird old men who had shady pasts, and probably killed women and children in WWII or Vietnam.

Interesting......
"Honey, I've always said if your genitals are on the outside, you're hiding something on the inside!" ~ Karen Walker ...~*Whitney*~...
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2003 at 1:13am
I'm not a big fan of war and certainly not of President Bush, but I have to agree with Brent. Your post really angered me Demodoll.

Tattooed veterans probably killed women and children?..... If you came from a working class neighborhood like I did, where most of the men and some of the women were military veterans you would know something about the common solider in the military. They were under strict instructions to never deliberately kill a civilian in a foreign country. That happened, it happens in all wars, but most veterans, including tattooed ones, never on purpose killed innocents. That is a lie. It is very insulting to people who have experienced a terribly difficult time and tragedy that most of us, thankfully, will never have to go through.

And Brent is right, without our military people we would have lost W.W.II and the Cold War and would be living under a terrible dictatorship without our freedoms that we enjoy today.

I am not very warlike or conservative in my politics but I know enough and have enough class and dignity not to slam our military guys who have been in terrible combat by saying such stupid stereotypes of soliders.

And you are not better than the working class guys that served in the military Demodoll. Don't say something so crude and stuck up. You don't know the hell they went through for our freedom.
tina
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2003 at 10:44am
Ouch! I go away for a day and that's when the first Fashion Board argument breaks out.

Thank you Brent and Tina for being so tactful.

Demodoll, I agree with them that your comment was out of line. This isn't the place to make hurtful comments like that. You are entitled to your opinion, but you don't have the right to maliciously offend people who have personal issues with that statement. Brent and Tina presented the other side of the issue very suscinctly, so I won't belabor the point.

I think I understand what you were generally trying to get at though. Tattoos can represent a sort of tough, dirty image that can scare people away. I used to work at Disney World, where no employee is allowed to have a tattoo of any kind, anywhere on the body. This is because Walt Disney created Disneyland as a place where families could go that would be bright, clean, cheerful and friendly.
He was inspired to create the park when he took his daughter to a carnival, but she was too scared of the carnival employees with beards and tattoos (and probably dirt under their fingernails) to have a good time.

Today we would never want to jump to conclusions that every person with a beard and tattoos is someone to be afraid of. But that initial reaction is still there, in many many people. And that's why Disney and other companies have these policies. They want to seem as open and friendly as possible to all people.

Since we are talking about image, and are concerned with professional image in particular, you made a relevant point.

Just please don't make broad sweeping attacks at Veterans! There are just so many sides to that issue. This just isn't the place to get into it.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic