Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tattoos,...do you like them?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tattoos,...do you like them?
    Posted: July 11 2003 at 10:32pm
These days you see a growing number of people, especially women, with tattoos.

Does anyone here have tattoos and what do you think of them?

My mom -(who is now in her early 50s)-, is heavily tattooed. She just gradually over the years added more and more tattoos. She isn't completely covered with tattoos but has extensive tattooing on her arms, legs and portions of her body.

I have never really gotten into tattoos that much. I only have two. One on my left breast-(a little heart about two inches by an inch and a half)-, and an arm tattoo on my left arm,-(a tattoo that encircles a portion of my upper left arm, a nice design, about three inches wide)-. I don't plan on getting too many more tattoos, maybe one or two more, maybe one on my right arm or right breast but that is it. And I might not even do that. I haven't had any new tattoos for quite a while.

You see so many women with tattoos these days though. It seems like far more women have tattoos than men! It has really become a feminine fad!
Some tattoos are classy and tasteful, but others, in my opinion, look terrible! And women seem to have tattoos everywhere now. I have even seen a few women with facial tattoos!
To me the fad is almost too much! Am I wrong about that? Or is tattooing, even heavily tattooed people, a real art form that is a good thing?

I would like to know others opinions on this.
tina
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2003 at 3:25am
*shrugs* I don't mind them if they're fairly small, attractive, and placed where they can be easily hidden when necessary.
I haven't got any myself, so far, but probably will, one or two, someday, once I totally make up my mind on what and where.
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2003 at 11:14am
Facial tattoos?? Like Mike Tyson? I try not to do anything Mike Tyson does.

Tattoos in general... some of the look cool. My friend is planning to get a tattoo of her cat, which was designed especially for her. (The tattoo, not the cat. :) ) I think that's cool.

Stuff like that that is personalized is cool. I'm not too impressed when I see a boring, bland, run of the mill tattoo.

I don't think I'd get one myself, though... if I did, it would be on my lower back. Oh, I could get one of Super Grover, flying just above my bum. How cute would that be?
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Rachel A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2003 at 11:20am
Ok...I got one. Still can't believe I did it...its been almost 4 weeks ago. My cousin went with me. She took me the same place she got hers. It does seem to be gaining popularity. Some of her friends have at least one.
Mine is on my hip below the pany line ....its about 4x 2. Its a mother dolphin and her baby. It's cute.
My mom doesn't know about it . That will be another post if she does find out.
Their cute, cute, cute but I don't think I'll get another one.
"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"
GadgetMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GadgetMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2003 at 11:48am
I think tattoos are alright, depending on placement and design. Of all the popular locations for women, I think lower back is the best.
The one location people dont tattoo, which I think not only is acceptable, but looks really good when it is done, is their hands, and feet/toes to a lesser extent. I think hands are very beautiful and intricate patterns on fingers or tiny designs would only enhance their beauty.

I plan to one day get one of a shooting star right above the crease where the thumb meets the base of the hand. I want it done as small as possible.
DakotaDiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DakotaDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2003 at 1:53pm
I believe tattoos if tastefully done are art. I have a number of tattoos. I've been getting tattoos since I was in my teens. I'm thirty one now. I have my arms done from my shoulders to my wrists. My chest done. My belly area around my belly button. My ankles done. I have a neck ring tattoo. I am considering having my back done. Would some day like a full body tattoo, excluding my face, feet and hands.
It helps a woman to have an agreeable husband who likes tattoos on his woman. Thankfully I have that kind of husband.
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2003 at 2:40pm
i have 2 tattoos. i have one small crescent moon and star on my right foot. i have angels on my ankle. i would like one more on lower back. i don't like a lot of tattoos.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2003 at 7:19pm
I thank all of you for your replies.

DakotaDiva, wow, you sound like you have as many tattoos as my mom and going for more!
I have seen photos of people with full or nearly full body tattoos and on occasion seen people who seem to have full or nearly full-(from what I can tell)- body tattoos in person. That's just incredible!
tina
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2003 at 10:02pm
I hear tattoos don't stay very well on the hands, because the hands get so much washing, sun exposure, and stuff like that. They tend to fade more quickly. At least that's what I heard. *shrugs* Not likely to try it myself.

Quote The one location people dont tattoo, which I think not only is acceptable, but looks really good when it is done, is their hands, and feet/toes to a lesser extent. I think hands are very beautiful and intricate patterns on fingers or tiny designs would only enhance their beauty.

I plan to one day get one of a shooting star right above the crease where the thumb meets the base of the hand. I want it done as small as possible.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 10:17am
Quote he one location people dont tattoo, which I think not only is acceptable, but looks really good when it is done, is their hands, and feet/toes to a lesser extent.

It's interesting that you mention this because...I love toe rings. However, I always lose the silly things. I've tried a variety of styles and sizes, and I always end up losing them.

In general, I just really don't care for the look of tattoos at all. However, I was actually considering getting a tiny one on my second toe to kind of mimic a toe ring.

Here's what's holding me back -- although the tattoo would be quite small and easily concealed, what if I don't like it in the future?

The (obvious) permanency of tattoos is my biggest concern.

I'm curious to know what people who wear many tattoos (especially very visible ones) will think of them 20, 30, 40+ years in the future.

My own tastes in various facets of fashion are always evolving, and I'm concerned that what I find attractive now may not hold in the future. With clothing and hair and to a lesser extent, piercings, it isn't difficult to change. But, without expensive invasive surgery, tattoos are indeed with us for life.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 11:57am
I agree with Jennifer--the sheer longetivity of tattoos makes them formidable to me. Four years ago I was all about shiny polyester baby tees (I was also in high school, so cut me some slack.) Now I can't even imagine wearing something that putrid. I don't want to be stuck with some symbol the rest of my life. If I absolutely HAD to get a tattoo, I would, however, choose a palm tree. My name, Tamara, is Hebrew for palm tree and even before I discovered that I have always had a special connection to those trees. But anyway. I do think it's quite funny when some Hollywood actor gets their ex's name lasered off their arm (Angelina Jolie.) Maybe they really DO think their relationship will last forever...at least at first!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 1:31pm
I agree Lyris that people should probably not get tattoos when they are a teenager, tastes change between the teen years and the adult years.
By the time someone is a grown adult in their twenties or thirties though they have a pretty good idea of what they are about and what they like and dislike. So they are better able to choose a tattoo or tattoos that they can live with and enjoy.

I'm sure Rachel, Monica and DakotaDiva enjoy their tattoos. DakotaDiva indicated on another board that she is a mother, wife and in her thirties. I am sure she is old enough to choose to be heavily tattooed if she enjoys that.

tina
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 1:37pm
if you do get a tattoo you really have to think of what you real like. not what is trendy. maybe i'm wrong just a thought, this could be why you have to be over 18 to get them? i have a cousin who got tattoos of skulls when she was younger now she doesn't like them. she had a dagger and had it turn into a rose. some younger people are more mature than me LOL. so who am i really to say? i got my first tattoo when i was 19. i gave a year thinkng what i wanted. i still love both my tattoos. my second one was in '95.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 1:58pm
Quote y the time someone is a grown adult in their twenties or thirties though they have a pretty good idea of what they are about and what they like and dislike.

No doubt! However, over all the span of our adult lives, some people do grow and change. I am not admonishing anyone who chooses to tattoo himself at all. I'm merely hesitant to do it myself for the reason that I gave. Just food for thought.

Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 2:02pm
Monica said, "i gave a year thinkng what i wanted."

Very wise! I walked into a tattoo parlor the other day, just to inquire. The guy said he wasn't busy and he'd be glad to just draw a small design on my toe with a regular ink pen so I might get an idea of how it would look. I did like it, and then he spoke those dangerous words, "It would probably only take me ten minutes to do it. I have time now. Shall we go for it?"

Talk about the heart racing! Part of me said, "Yeah baby, go for it," and another part said, "Just wait...you can always do it later."

I love to be impulsive in several areas in my life, but for something permanent, I think it's generally best to hold off at least just a little bit.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 2:23pm
It takes a gutsy,confident person, especially in the case of a woman, to get tattoos. Maybe some people have that sort of guts and confidence.

tina
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 4:21pm
It takes guts to do anything of which we're scared!

For some people to cut their hair, it's easy. For others, it takes "guts."

For some people to get tattoos, it's easy. For others, it's takes "guts" to overcome their fears.

We all view and make various decisions in life in our own ways.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 5:07pm
I have liked tatoos on others, but prefer myself to be a blank page.

A tatoo would be yet another thing to "wear", another social marker that would be subject to interpretation/suspicion/presumption/prejudice.

On the other hand, I intend to get a henna tatoo (temporary plant dye) prior to the Tolkien anoraks convention (LOL)....of my name in Quenya (an elvish tongue) written in a band around my upper arms.

Ways and means.....ways and means....
Uzi

Brent E. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 6:59pm
Great topic:

I am fairly conservative on most things but not always in regards to fashion. I like some of the modern fashion trends (I emphasize some, not all, of the modern fashion trends) including female tattooing.

My wife has a number of tattoos. She is in her late twenties and just gotten into tattoos recently. She had her first tattoo done less than a year ago and now has had some extensive work done, tattoos covering sections of her upper arms, both her breasts and and both ankles. She is not going for complete tattooing of her body, she may not have anymore tattooing done, she has most of what she wants. The one thing she has discussed with me in regard to further tattooing is getting a complete back tattoo, a "theme" tattoo, with an"Oriental" theme since she is Chinese-American. If she decides to do anymore tattooing that would probably be it.
I was actually initially surprised when she told me she wanted to get some tattooing done. She is a shy person and not one for exhibiting herself much, but with her I think it was indicitive of her growing self-confidence and assertiveness. She had always wanted tattoos, had been afraid to get them, but now had summoned up the courage to have some tattooing done. I was surprised but they are beautiful tattoos and it just increases her feminine allure and her sex appeal. I have been pleasantly surprised at the fact she got these tattoos and how much I like them.

I believe it does take a great deal of guts, as mentioned, for a woman to get extensive tattooing done. I don't think it is easy for any woman to have several tattoos, especially in visible places. When my wife wears a sleevless dress or a t-shirt you can see how much tattooing she has had done on her arms.
For a woman, even in today's society where there is more tattooing of women than before, that takes assertiveness and yes guts on the part of the tattooed lady.

The funny thing is, I don't have any tattoos. That shows you how society has changed. Years ago it would have been the man in the relationship, not the woman, who had extensive tattoos.
That to me is intriguing!
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2003 at 8:33pm
I agree with you Brent, I think it does take some "guts" for a woman to be tattooed, especially heavily tattooed like DakotaDiva indicated she is.

Your wife sounds lovely Brent. I know tattooing of women has a tradition in East Asia. I have seen photos of some of those back tattoos you were refering to on East Asian women like your wife. Some of them are wonderful!

Thanks for your input Brent! Hi to you and your wife!
tina
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic