Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

a simple survey about ear piercing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a simple survey about ear piercing
    Posted: September 05 2004 at 4:50am
I would like to ask those who have (or have had) pierced ears to answer a few plain questions:

1) your gender

2) how old were you when you got it done?

3) did it hurt and if so, exactly how much?

4) did you decide to do it voluntarily or were you under some kind of compulsion (family member getting it done for you without your consent, friends coaxing you into it, feeling the need to do it because of fashion etc)?
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 6:38am
The first hole was done when I was 2 days old by my grandmother. She is from Spain and it is tradition. The second and third I did myself, 1 pair at home and the other in the girls bathroom at school with my best friend in the seventh grade. I then went on to do my sister's second piercing and my brother's first piercing.

I have one more piercing in the top part of my ear. Had that done in high school.

They were all quite voluntary I guess.

jacqui
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 8:45am
Originally posted by duke duke wrote:

1) your gender female

2) how old were you when you got it done? about 5 or 6 the first time the second time about 8.

3) did it hurt and if so, exactly how much? no. just a pinch unless the earring gets put on too tight then they just loosen it.

4) did you decide to do it voluntarily or were you under some kind of compulsion the first time i got my hair cut super short like 1 1/2 so i got them so i wouldn't look like a boy.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 9:13am
Hi! This is fun! I am a female. I was a freshman in High school when I first had mine done. The second holes- while I was a Sr. in high school, and the third holes about 7 weeks ago. It didnot hurt, but I am having trouble with the 3rd holes healing. My mom did the 1st holes at home with a needle, I had the 2nd and 3rd holes done with a gun at the mall. I did them all on my own except the 2nd one. I had a boyfriend that told me if I got it done he would break up with me. I want to do another hole in the cartlidge but that kinda scares me! I hope this helps! Debbie
(Edited once- I just read what I wrote and it was the 2nd holes that I was not allowed to get from a boyfriend.)
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2004 at 4:23pm
I have my left ear pierced. I'm a male, I had it done in my twenties, and I did it because I wanted to, although the woman I was with at the time wanted me to do it also.
I have been wearing an earring again more often recently at the request of my lady Jasmine, who writes on Hair Talk as BaldJasmine. She has each of her ears pierced twice and wears a fair amount of jewelry.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 1:01am

I would like to ask those who have (or have had) pierced ears to answer a few plain questions:

1) your gender Female

2) how old were you when you got it done? Let's see. . . sixteen at first, that was both ears. Then I got a second hole in my left ear at about. . . *thinks* somewhere between 18 and 21? Not quite sure. All I remember for sure is that I had to have that one done twice, because the first time it got infected and I had to take the earring out. I still have a tiny scar from the first attempt. Then maybe four or five years ago I had a third hole put into the left ear. My right ear still has just the one, though.

3) did it hurt and if so, exactly how much? I seem to remember the first time hurting a lot, but the other times, it's just a quick stick, and you're sore for a little while after, but it's not really that big a deal.

4) did you decide to do it voluntarily or were you under some kind of compulsion (family member getting it done for you without your consent, friends coaxing you into it, feeling the need to do it because of fashion etc)? Well, I wanted my ears pierced from a very young age, because my ears seem to be pressure-sensitive-- if I try to wear clip-ons, ear cuffs, headphones, etc. for more than a few hours it makes my ears really sore. But uber-conservative parents wouldn't allow it, so it was like everything else, I had to wait until I was out of their control. The second hole, I hate to say, was because I had a teacher with two holes in her left and one in her right. Not that she was a great teacher or that I wanted to emulate a middle-aged lady, just it looked cool. The third hole was that I was at the mall, had wandered away from the rest of my party, and ended up in an accessory shop. *shrugs* Kinda on impulse.
More awesome than a manatee!
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 5:16pm
I got a question. What does it mean if a guy has both earlobes pierced? Just wondering! Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 10:07am
It doesn't mean anything Debbie if a guy has both ears pierced.
Years ago, if a man had his left ear pierced, he was hetrosexual. If he had his right ear pierced, he was gay. If he had both pierced, he was bisexual.
But that went out years ago, in my mom's generation.
Today , most men who have both ears pierced are ordinary hetrosexual men who are with women.

I have each of my ears pierced twice, but I usually only wear one pair of earrings.

I would actually like Brent to get his other ear pierced and wear earrings in both ears. We could share pairs of earrings then.
Tiuku View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiuku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2004 at 8:04pm
I am female. I got my ears pierced when I was 12 or 13 years old. My little sister (at that time 6 or 7 years old) got her ears pierced in a jewelleryshop, and after that I insisted having earrings too. It had never occured to me to ask my mother for piercings, but if my sister had had it, I wanted it too.
My right ear was more sensitive than the left, it hurt more and got infected afterwards. I remember that I had to clean it with a smelly lotion many times a day.
Susan W. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 12:28pm
I've had both ears pierced repeatedly, 4 holes in the left one 3 holes in the right.

1) your gender: Female

2) how old were you when you got it done? 12 the first time, 15 the second time....

3) did it hurt and if so, exactly how much? The first time hurt crazy bad! They used some kind of old fashioned contraption where instead of shooting the earring in with a gun (like I had done the second time, which didn't hurt much at all), they screwed something in slowly, then had to take it out and put in the earring. I needed a half hour between ears to have a break from the pain, and the whole mall heard me screaming. So the second time was the nice and not so painful gun, the third and fourth time I did it myself with a needle and an ice cube. That hurt some, but was creepy to do. The 4th one was high up on my ear and incredibly painful for months. Even after healing, the earring was irritating in that spot and kept getting pulled. I eventually let that one close up.

4) did you decide to do it voluntarily or were you under some kind of compulsion (family member getting it done for you without your consent, friends coaxing you into it, feeling the need to do it because of fashion etc)? All voluntary, because I wanted to wear the pretty earrings I saw in stores.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know. So did you get yours done yet?
Seriously, the gun most places use is nothing to worry about.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 9:08am
No, I'm actually not getting mine done. This survey serves certain socio-political purposes. Thanks for all answers, very informative.
Ginger Owens View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginger Owens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2004 at 11:24pm
i had mine done 1 day out of my mothers woom... my mother is thai and laso and it is a tradition, my grandparents said if i dont have my ears pierced as soon as possible i have bad luck for the rest of my life, so they did it that day... they did it all the way up, i currently have 9 on each ear since i was a baby and i use all nine holes, i am proud of it. besides what teenager doesnt want as many holes? i mean everyone thinks it is sooo cool... i have big hoops on the bottom medium in the second small in the third ruby in the fourth diamond on my fifth hole and blue on the sixth hole and cuff looking thing on the ninth hole and green in the eighth and pink in the seventh no none of them hurt...i didnt even cry well im not sure whther i did them willingly do u think i even had to think about it and make a choice o f my own??? i didnt think so either....
Ginger Owens View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginger Owens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2004 at 11:24pm
i meant thai and laos*
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2004 at 3:58am
Ummm...if you were a newborn then, do you ACTUALLY REMEMBER that it didn't hurt?

You weren't given a choice, Ginger, it was just done, so AFAIK, it was forced on you.
deltagirl12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 1:48pm
Hi:

Great topic. I was in Middle school, when I had mine done. I think I was around 13, maybe 14. I just have one in each ear. It hurt a little, not that much.

Susan

Susan
ellefox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2004 at 2:25pm
Aloha! I am female and had my first set of ear piercings at age 12. A friend's sister did it, using a needle, thread, a cut potato and ice cubes..once the ice numbed my earlobe, I didn't feel a thing and healing was pretty fast and I've never had problems with the holes closing up.
The second set of piercings was done when I was 42, in a jewelry store, with a piercing gun-which really HURT for about 2 minutes. The recovery time for this set was much longer than the first set, and the holes tend to close up in a few days if I don't wear earrings in them.
Why? I got earrings as a gift when I was 12 and I wanted to wear them - the second set because I liked the look on other people :)
Mahalo and have a gorgeous day!
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2004 at 12:00pm

1) your gender - female

2) how old were you when you got it done? - probably a few weeks old

3) did it hurt and if so, exactly how much? - i wouldnt know

4) did you decide to do it voluntarily or were you under some kind of compulsion (family member getting it done for you without your consent, friends coaxing you into it, feeling the need to do it because of fashion etc)? - im from Nigeria and its impossible to find a girl wiht ears that are not pierced.. so its sorta tradition
DakotaDiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DakotaDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2004 at 1:32pm
I have my ears pierced and my septum pierced in my nose.
It doesn't hurt that much and it doesn't hurt to wear earrings or noserings.
I wear fine jewelry only, usually gold.
BayBay08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayBay08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2004 at 1:59pm
I'm female. I got mine first done when I was 1 b/c my mother wanted them done. I slapped the lady when she did them lol. I got my 2nd hole pierced when I was 7 and It didnt hurt!
*/*\*Bailey*/*\*
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2004 at 2:30am
1) your gender ------Male, most of the time :)

2) how old were you when you got it done?---16

3) did it hurt and if so, exactly how much?

---my best freind did it with a sewing needle, it hurt like a *****.

4) did you decide to do it voluntarily or were you under some kind of compulsion (family member getting it done for you without your consent, friends coaxing you into it, feeling the need to do it because of fashion etc)?----I started doing drag shows at 16, and I decided it would help if I could wear womens earrings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic