Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alyssa Milano new short cut, yum!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by JerkyFlea JerkyFlea wrote:

I think this is also where, for some folks (NOT ALL, DAVE), long hair gets considered a "security blanket". Interestingly, though, some folks (AGAIN, NOT ALL) keep the same "look" for years, be it long, short, or medium hair, for the same reason. They get secure and comfortable in how they see themselves. Is that bad? Not at all. Does that mean their "secure and comfortable" look isn't flattering? Again, a big nope. I'm pretty happy Cindy Crawford hasn't significantly changed her look over the years.

Just some thoughts.

JF

Hi JF,

No need to shout, I am very capable of discerning the existence of the word "some."

I understand your explanation of the concepts here, and agree with you. The only reason long hair gets labeled a "security *blanket*" is because to some people, the hair might actually (vaguely) resemble a blanket. Different people seem to find security in hairstyles of varied lengths -- long, short, and in-between. It seems that only the long-term choice of long hair gets subtly criticized by being called a blanket. Nobody criticizes those who find security in shorter lengths.
farmrat01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmrat01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 10:20pm
she looked much better with long hair. Im sorry but she is rather manish with short hair.
Fear Me
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 10:29pm
What are you gay?
Alyssa looks mannish in her pixie?
How come all the guys who have been commenting on her here are drolling over her and her hairstyle?

Man oh man rat you are one strange dude!
Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 10:39pm
Yet Dave, it is the long haired people that describe their hair like a security blanket at times, not the short that I know of. People who say they feel surrounded, warm, and comforted by their hair around them just does not happen with short hair. Emotionally, there can be the same security in keeping a look over time but there is much more to the blanket analogy than just a visual comparison. We know it is not all people with long hair but there certainly is a contingent that embraces the blanket description.

We likely agree it is not a insult to find security in hair, one way to show that is to not seem to deny that possibility for others if not yourself. Just to be fair, we can support short haired people too, some might have a security washcloth of hair on their head and they are free to feel that way.
KathyAnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KathyAnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2003 at 10:50pm
What does long hair or short hair have to do with security?
It's a hairstyle, a fashion choice.

Farmrat, Alyssa Milano "mannish"?
I've heard it all I guess.
*Alyssa Milano, along with Jennifer Lopez and Halle Berry, may just be the sexiest, most feminine woman in America at the moment.

I don't know how in the world someone as sexy, as sensual, as stunningly beautiful and feminine as Alyssa, could ever, (regardless of her hair length), be construed as anything other than an absolutely, ravishingly gorgeous woman.
farmrat01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmrat01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 1:31am
I dont need to justify my opinion to ya'll. I just think she looked much better with long hair.
Fear Me
Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 12:44pm
Farmrat:
It's fine that you prefer Alyssa in long hair. We all have different opinions about hairdos.
But to say she looks "manish" in a pixie not only insult my imtelligence but is probably the most ridiculous statement I have ever read on any hair board.
And you don't have to love short hair on women to know that she is not the least bit like a man in any way.
What an absurd statement.
Her hairstyle is not only feminine, pretty and cute on her, but she is one of the most feminine, attractive and pretty women I have ever seen! She has the face of an angel.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 1:07pm
Thanks Brent!

Of course it's an absurd statement.

Even the dumb hicks in the little town I grew up in before I moved to the city knew that a feminine woman in a short haircut doesn't look mannish.

Some people are such idiots!
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 3:09pm
Some of you, while professing to welcome other opinions, berate, insult, and shout down people who have opinions other than your own. By belittling that opinion, you discourage different opinions and scare away people who have any other opinion. I've seen this happen elsewhere. I don't post to hear myself talk, but to share my thoughts and read other people's thoughts.

If someone feels Alyssa looks "mannish," that's their opinion.
Some men, and women, don't like short hair on women. They shouldn't be insulted for thinking that way.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 6:37pm
Give me a break Rod.

I don't care if people like long hair or short hair on women, of course people are entitled to their opinion.

But to say a woman as pretty and feminine as Alyssa looks "mannish" isn't an opinion, it's an insult and like Brent said, it's a ridiculous statement.

When someone says something so stupid and insulting as that they set themselves up for an insult.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 6:53pm
And Rod, as we all know, Gord who writes here JUST LOVES long hair on women and doesn't usually care for short hair on women but he would never say anything as stupid and ridiculous as saying that a very feminine woman like Alyssa looks "mannish" in a pixie.
There are opinions and then there is stupidity and prejudice.
I never see the people who love short haired women here write that a long haired woman looks "unfeminine" or "mannish", even though they don't like long hair on women.

There is opinion and then there is insulting language and prejudice.
You can say you prefer a woman with long hair over a short hair style without questioning her femininty or saying she looks "mannish". That's simply stupidity and prejudice and is very insulting to women who wear short hair.

And I'm sure we are not stopping anyone from posting here, just don't be prejudice or use insulting language and you won't be insulted back.
That's obvious.

Some people think some races of women aren't as feminine as other races. If they were to call a race of women "mannish" it would be very insulting -(and untrue)- and they would be insulted back.

I will always speak out against prejudice. You can have opinions and preferences without that.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 7:02pm
WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFE!

The year is 2003. There are as many women around with short hair as long hair. If you don't believe me go to the shopping mall.

And there are many men who like women in short hair.

There is no reason to insult women with short hair by saying they are "unfeminine" or "mannish". That isn't true and it is a form of prejudice. It's ugly, stupid language not much better than racism.

farmrat01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmrat01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 7:18pm
Its just one man opinion. You dont need to go balistic on what i think of Miss Millano. I may be a hick but i am still an american. Isnt that enogh for me to speak my mind.
Fear Me
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 7:59pm
Hmm... let's recap recent "discussion" on this topic...

farmrat01 expresses an opinion, tina m professes that it's okay if his opinion differs from hers, then she and Brent E proceed to, as Rod puts it, "berate, insult, and shout down people who have opinions" contrary to their own... and immediately after Rod expresses his (accurate) observation, tina m repeats the berating, insulting and shouting down not only of Rod's observation, but of the opinion that Alyssa Milano looks mannish in a pixie.

So, shall we vote on whether or not the opinion that Alyssa Milano looks mannish in a pixie be permissible here? And while we're at it, can someone please enlighten me on what other celebrity hairstyle opinions can and cannot be expressed here? thanks.
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 8:18pm
As you probably know Dave I am an African-American woman who has my hair cut in a very short afro. I too am very offended by someone saying that women with short hair are somehow "unfeminine".
Do you like it Dave if, because you have long hair, someone says you are "unmasculine" or "femmy". The long haired men I know would be very offended at such a statement, as they should be. It is an outdated stereotype.
When someone says something that is untrue and offensive I would hope people would speak out against it. That isn't political correctness. That is just our right to speak out against an insulting comment. which we have every right to do.

As far as I can tell Dave, no one said that Farmrat couldn't give his insulting opinion. No one said he, or what he says about hair, should be banned from the boards. I think that others here were rightly offended by the statement insinuating that lovely Alyssa looked unfeminine, and they responded accordingly. That is their right .

iShort hair on women has been around in the western world since Josephine Baker and the short bob look of the 1920s. You would think this sort of insulting prejudice towards short hair on women would have been long gone by now.

But then again there are still people who believe that Jewish people are selfish or greedy and that African-Americans are lazy or stupid.
Prejudice dies hard.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 9:01pm
Jasmine:
Very well said. Great points!

Dave:
I agree with Jasmine. No one is saying the Farmrat can't express his opinion, even if it is ridiculous or insulting.
I also agree that others then have the right to blast such a degrogatory and negative opinion.
- If you know anything about women Dave, and I'm sure you do, about the worst thing you could ever say to her is that she looks manish or unfeminine.
- I know my Asian-American wife who has short hair would be just as offended by someone saying she looks manish or unfeminine as someone saying they don't like Asians. That is just about the worst thing you could ever say to a woman. To a woman being called unfeminine is as bad as racism, so when people talk of prejudice, I agree it is prejudice and it does hurt women's feelings.
And as pointed out, it isn't true anyway. Women with short hair are often very feminine and hardly manish looking. That's certainly true with Alyssa Milano.

Banning opinions?:
I certainly don't believe that anyone's opinions should be banned.
But when someone says that short haired women look manish or unfeminine, that is incredibly insulting to the many women who wear short hair. - I would expect women with short hair to defend themselves against such absurd statements. - The men who love them will defend them too.
If you don't want to be demeaned or insulted then don't insult or demean short haired women by calling them manish or unfeminine, or we'll be right back at you!

Side note:
Yes the year is 2003.
I was flicking around the cable T.V. today watching the various news stations. Almost every newswoman I saw had short hair or medium short hair, and of course they were all feminine and attractive, as Alyssa Milano is.
The news stations don't hire unattractive women.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 9:19pm
Hello Jasmine,

I am not offended if people think I look unmasculine or "femmy." Possession of such an opinion does not make it true and does not imply that I must believe it. Stereotyping is a sign of a mind incapable of assessing an individual's character, and does not reflect well on those who employ it.

People are entitled to their opinions, because they are just that -- opinions. In 1774 Patrick Henry famously said, "I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to my death your right to say it." (history buffs, please forgive the paraphrasing.) It seems that in this country (America) we have become very thin-skinned because we can't tolerate hearing others express opinions that don't agree with our own. IMO this intolerance is not a healthy indication. Opinions that do not agree with mine or yours or anybody else's are not necessarily "untrue." They are offered as opinions, not as statements of fact (the truth of which can be proven or disproven).

If "insulting" opinions on celebrity hair are disallowed on this board, the rule could not be applied retroactively because that form of commentary has been standard operating practice since day one.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Brent E from San Francisco Brent E from San Francisco wrote:

Dave:
If you don't want to be demeaned or insulted then don't insult or demean short haired women by calling them manish or unfeminine, or we'll be right back at you!

Brent, are you directing this comment at me?

Correct me if I misunderstand what you're saying here... You're saying that if I were to express this particular opinion that you would harass and dog me ("berate, insult, and shout down," as Rod put it) into recanting the statement of such opinion?

Is that a threat or a promise?

Why can't you allow people to "suffer" the consequences of their own actions which include offering up unfavorable opinions on celebrity hairstyles?

And who made you the authority on what is or is not demeaning and insulting?
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 9:35pm
Dave:
Did you even read what Jasmine, Tina and myself wrote???
All of us said very clearly that people should express their opinions, even if we find them insulting. No one said Farmrat can't express his opinion.
And then we said we have the right to disagree and express our opinion! That's all we are doing! We have that right!

Let me try this again:
And as I said, calling a woman manish or unfeminine is about the most hurtfull, insulting thing you could say to her.
Of course Dave you are not that offended if someone calls you unmasculine for wearing long hair. You're a dude. It's different with us men Dave. We can laugh it off or shrug it off easier. We're dudes.
From my observation it isn't that easy for a woman to laugh off or shrug off being called manish or unfeminine.
Try and have a little sensitivity to the feelings of the women with short hair on these boards.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 9:38pm
Dave.
Threats???
I'm expressing my opinion!
If someone writes something insulting, I might insult back!
-----that's human nature.
And no my comments weren't directed at you anyway Dave. I was refering to Farmrat's "manish" statement about Alyssa or short hair on women.

Please try reading carefully what I write.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic