Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alyssa Milano new short cut, yum!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by BaldJasmine BaldJasmine wrote:

But then again there are still people who believe that Jewish people are selfish or greedy and that African-Americans are lazy or stupid.
Prejudice dies hard.

It really isn't prejudice. His statement is like saying, "I don't like lazy African-Americans." or "Jewish people with big noses are unattractive." If he said short-haired women were stupid, that would be prejudice.

No one called anyone on this board mannish. Someone called Alyssa Milano's do mannish. You shouldn't apply that to yourself.

His opinion isn't "ridiculous," "absurd," "insulting" or "untrue." It's his opinion. Some people don't find short-haired women attractive. (Leaves them for me.) Surely, everybody on this board has certain races, genders, or physical body traits they find unattractive. If I say I don't find men attractive, am I prejudiced?
Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 10:02pm
Rod:
It amazes me how little you and Dave seem to know about women. I'm sure you guys have been with women. You both seem hetro.

You must know that-
Saying a woman looks manish or unfeminine is just about the worst thing you could ever say about a woman! And saying that an extremely feminine woman like Alyssa Milano-(and I really do doubt your hetrosexuality if you don't think Alyssa Milano is feminine and attractive)- looks manish or unfeminine with a short hairstyle is very insulting to women with short hair.

It's the choice of words.
As I'm sure you know, words matter in this context. Words like manish or unfeminine when refering to a woman or a style of hair in incredibly insulting to women who wear their hair like that.
Some words are more insulting than others.
Mature adults try and choose words that express their opinion without being an insensitive jerk.
That to me isn't political correctness, it's called good manners.

Please, try and have some sensitivity to the short haired women who write here. I prefer short hair on women but I am very careful not to insult women who wear long hair or their long hair styles. I would never dream of calling them "manish" or "unfeminine".
farmrat01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmrat01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 10:13pm
Why are you all making a big deal out of nothing. As a said earlier it is just one mans opinion. Rod is the only one rational enough to think this way. If i hurt Ms Milano's feelings I am sorry but if for some weird chance she doesn't read this board it is no big deal. As an American I am allowed my own opinion. I am not a racist or gay as I've been called already in the past two days by people on this board, but if you think I'm either you are more than welcome to think so. I did not think you would take it this far.
Peace, Love and Im out.
Fear Me
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 10:15pm
Yes Brent, I did read what you three have written.

Originally posted by Brent E from San Francisco Brent E from San Francisco wrote:

Of course Dave you are not that offended if someone calls you unmasculine for wearing long hair. You're a dude. It's different with us men Dave. We can laugh it off or shrug it off easier. We're dudes.

Hmm... I know several women (seriously) who would describe your comment as being sexist.

I think it's a matter of individual self-confidence, regardless of gender.

Originally posted by Brent E from San Francisco Brent E from San Francisco wrote:

From my observation it isn't that easy for a woman to laugh off or shrug off being called manish or unfeminine.
Try and have a little sensitivity to the feelings of the women with short hair on these boards.

I am not guilty of your charge. I have no reason to think that I am not in good stead with the women here.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 10:23pm
I give up.
Some of you just aren't getting my points. You are just taking a few statements I made out of context.

All I know is that if someone calls women with short hair manish or unfeminine I may respond negatively to such a statement.

Anyway, this whole thread is beginning to bore me.

Oh yeah, Alyssa looks (and I'm sure is) feminine and beautiful,-
as I'm sure the short haired women who write here like Jasmine and Tina are.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 11:26pm
Thanks Brent and Jasmine!

No I don't think you are in bad stead with the short haired women on the boards Dave, you seem a decent enough guy, but Brent and Jasmine made some really good points that you just ignored. You read selectively or at least you give that impression.
They made some very important and thoughtful points.

No one was saying the rat can't post here.
But obviously we get tired of people saying directly or in a subtle way that short hair doesn't look good on women, it looks "mannish", or whatever.

I've noticed too what Brent said. Those who prefer short hair on women never say that long haired women look "mannish". That's just dumb.

Jasmine you made a good point too when you said short hair on women has been around for almost one hundred years in the western cultures, that you would think people by now would get past the cliches and ancient stereotypes of short hairstyles on women being less than feminine or making the woman look less feminine.
What century are these people in anyway? Geeeez!

And Rod, one of my girlfriends is Jewish and she doesn't have a big nose! And if you said to a Jewish person that big nosed Jews are ugly, of course that would be offensive to a Jew. Geeeez! What an old stereotype! Most Jewish people I've met don't have big noses anyway! Or if you said Black people's noses are ugly, of course that is offensive. That may be an opinion, but it's a stupid one, and if someone objected to that, well what do you expect? Geeeez Louise! And if you say that short haired women look mannish, even one as pretty as Alyssa, of course people will object!

What planet are you people living on anyway!

But like Brent said, this is starting to get boring.

I grew up in a little hick town where half the people were on welfare or S.S.I checks, where too many people drank too much, and where I heard every stupid, prejudice,unsophisticated opinion and every swear word way too many times.
So I moved to a metro area to get away from the ignorant hicks, and thank God I did!
But now, apparently, some of the hicks have managed to get computers so we have to put up with their ignorant, outdated, unsophisticated, stupid opinions on the computer boards! It's hard to escape it I guess.
Oh well.
Ononotdon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ononotdon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2003 at 1:26am
Here's an important point, one that is too often ignored:

As an American, yes, one is entitled to his or her opinion. This finds expression in the statement, "It's a free country." Indeed it is. However, do remember that one is accountable for that opinion; therefore, those who disagree are just as free to voice dissent, and take that opinion to task.

So farmrat, you have exercised your God-given rights. Nuts to you. And those who disagree with you have done likewise.

Now then, farmrat, your statement vis a vis Ms. Milano's femininity has proven quite controversial on this board. I am in the majority who is taking you TO task on it. WHAT THE**** WERE YOU THINKING?!?! LITTLE EXTRA CRACK IN THE MOONSHINE, MAYBE?
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2003 at 11:41am
Ononotdon,
LOL!
YOU ARE FUNNY!-(tee-hee)-
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2003 at 12:35pm
Ononotdon:
Exactly. People who make a controversial, ridiculous or inflamatory statement have a right to make that statement but we also have every right to respond to that statement by being critical of it if we disagree with it.
That is freedom.
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2003 at 9:54am
First thanks, to Rod and Dave for calmly discussing farmrat's opinion of Alyssa's pixie. He indeed had every right to express his opinion, and BaldJasmine, Tina, and Brent E had every right to disagree. The name calling and belittling is what is entirely uncalled for. Heck, you'd think Gord had posted.

Obviously the terms "mannish" or "unfeminine" are hot-button words for Tina and Jasmine. That's fine. Your personal issues, however, give you no right to rip into farmrat like you did. Heck, I'm sure there are people on this board that would diagree with Tina's constant playful contention of the pervasiveness of bisexualism amongst women, yet I haven't seen anyone tirading for page after page against her, her intellgence, upbringing, and sexual orientation.

As for Brent, I love the chastisement to Dave and Rod for not using "good manners" in the same post containing the passage "It amazes me how little you and Dave seem to know about women. I'm sure you guys have been with women. You both seem hetro. " I dunno, Brent. Dave has long hair. You sure about that?

Anyway, my whole point here is that if you do or don't think Alyssa looks mannish, that's cool. Defend or attack the style until you can type no more. However, the personal insults have no place here. Karen has asked me if I wanted to start monitoring this board again and I've held off because these things have usually gone in cycles or played themselves out. It seems to be getting worse lately though, so I'm considering it again.

Give me a reason not to.

As usual,
JF
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2003 at 10:09am
I held off jumping in here as well but can no longer sit back and not respond! Since so many of your opinions are wrong (actully all of them) and mean..I think a new rule should be followed!

From now own my opionion is the only right one, the only time the rest of you can be right is when you agree with me!!!!!!!

Now, since you all realize how wrong you have been there is really no need to argue of who was the most wrong.... See how easy that was!
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2003 at 10:54am
You are very right Hal.
You're opinion is the only correct opinion as long as I agree with it.
What is your opinion anyway?
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2003 at 12:55pm

You are very right Hal.
You're opinion is the only correct opinion as long as I agree with it.
What is your opinion anyway?

I don't have one.....
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2003 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by JerkyFlea JerkyFlea wrote:

As for Brent, I love the chastisement to Dave and Rod for not using "good manners" in the same post containing the passage "It amazes me how little you and Dave seem to know about women. I'm sure you guys have been with women. You both seem hetro. " I dunno, Brent. Dave has long hair. You sure about that?

LOL
Quote Hal: From now own my opionion is the only right one, the only time the rest of you can be right is when you agree with me!!!!!!!

Brent: You're opinion is the only correct opinion as long as I agree with it. What is your opinion anyway?

Hal:I don't have one.....

LOL
Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2003 at 7:23pm

And as I said, calling a woman manish or unfeminine is about the most hurtfull, insulting thing you could say to her.
Of course Dave you are not that offended if someone calls you unmasculine for wearing long hair. You're a dude. It's different with us men Dave. We can laugh it off or shrug it off easier. We're dudes.
From my observation it isn't that easy for a woman to laugh off or shrug off being called manish or unfeminine.
Try and have a little sensitivity to the feelings of the women with short hair on these boards.

Interesting. Dave seems to know a lot of intelligent, confident women capable of giving the opinions of others the weight they deserve. If anything is to be considered insulting, it would be the assumption that men are somehow tougher than women when it comes to dealing with comments. What is wrong with looking like a guy anyway? Lots of people like the way guys look.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2003 at 8:04pm
What is wrong with a woman looking like a guy? Gee I wonder. Duh.
Women generally don't like looking like guys or visa-versa. What world do you live in? Geeeeez! Weird.

Most short haired women still look like women just like long haired men like Dave still look like men.

A woman still has feminine facial features and a female body, no matter what her hair length.

A man still has masculine facial features, and a man's body, no matter what his hair length.

So it's pretty difficult to make someone look like the opposite gender unless they are a drag queen or something.
Native View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Native Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2003 at 5:22pm
Back on subject, more or less.

Alyssa still has her hair this short. Given the rapidity of her hairstyle changes, I'm a little surprised. She had said she wanted to do this for a long time, so I guess she likes it.

I still think it looks good.
short75_2000 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote short75_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2003 at 8:38am
Goto www.alyssa.com and check out her recent pics like from the halloween party. I think she looks so dang hot. I have had a crush on her since she was little and even back then i thought she would look better with short hair, so much so that was going to write a letter to her parents saying she should cut her hair. Of course I never did and she did cut her hair when she got older and even though some of the shorter hair styles were a little wrong for her i still thought she was sexy. Imo the current style is her best second would be the short blonde hair she wore in Double Dragons third would be the longer style she had just a year or two ago, it was long all one lenght about chest lenght and she looked very sexy as she still does. i think she could shave her head bald and still look sexy.

And as for the other people who have caused this thread to go to 4 pages just remember that opinions are like azz holes everyone has one!
spud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 8:57pm
I downloaded Alyssa's haircut video from her site and was surprised to see that originally she had her hair cut to look like Audrey Hepburn (she even has a magazine cover to show the stylist). The fringe was longer and swept to the side and the sides were longer and tucked behind the ears. She obviously went back very soon and had the fringe shortened into the pixie style and the sides cut over her ears. I'd post some screen caps but can't see how
comander_star View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comander_star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2003 at 1:07am
where can you download the video?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic