Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top Five Worst Haircut Disasters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
terone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Five Worst Haircut Disasters
    Posted: May 12 2004 at 9:58pm
5) Shiri Appleby from Roswell. She followed in Katherine Heigl's footsteps, and it was all downhill from there.
4) Charisma Carpenter from Buffy. Short hair is not her thing at all. Her career ended when the locks came off.
3) Christina Applegate. The ratings for Married with Children dropped off the charts the year her hair was cut.
2) Natalie Portman. She wears too much makeup as it is, and now it's really noticeable.
1) Keri Russell. That haircut personally caused the downfall in the TV ratings that shortened the life of Felicity.
I can't think of others at this point.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 10:23pm
This is the top 5 haircuts that terone doesn't like, not hair disasters. And they all happen to be short haircuts. Why not just write "any actress who cut her long hair short."

5) Shiri Appleby from Roswell. I have no idea why "it was downhill" with her. She cut her hair after Roswell ended and has done a couple of indies since.

4) Charisma Carpenter from Buffy. She was on "Angel" two years after cutting her hair. She quit because she was pregnant and has spent the last year being a mom and doing two TV movies and a few guest spots on "Miss Match." Ms. Carpenter has done a pilot which should be picked up for the fall schedule.

3) Christina Applegate. The ratings for Married with Children didn't drop at all when she cut her hair. She cut her hair short again last year and she's been working a lot.

2) Natalie Portman. I'm absolutely clueless why this is a disaster except she's less attractive to you.

1) Keri Russell. The haircut MAY have caused a slight drop in the TV ratings, but they went back up shortly thereafter. The show ran a year before the haircut and three years after. It didn't shorten the life of "Felicity."

This cut is the only one that may qualify as a disaster, since it was poorly received by her fans. None of the others have been.
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 7:31am
Alanis Morissette should have been there. Looks older then she is with her short cut. If we are only going to call this the worst Long to Short.

How about short to long.

I know a few of you were going off about Hally Berry.(To me is a nice changed.).

Kate Beckinsale with that curls that were out of control.

I can't think of any right now but there was one someone went blond I had to wear my sunglasses because it was way too blond.LOL

Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
terone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 9:22am
To be fair, short to long disasters, or even just long hair disasters have been:
Christina Aguilera - her Moulin Rouge phase was not pretty at all.
Kate Beckinsale can get a little carried away with her locks.
Lauren Lee Smith grew out her hair and dyed it red.
Rachael Leigh Cook can look fantastic with short, though not when it's platinum, hair, but she looks good with long hair, too, which she, too, can get carried away with.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 11:32am
And just how is a disaster defined?

Is it when the celeb dislikes it?
Liv Tyler hated her hair short, but most people thought it looked good.

Is it when the public dislikes it?
Keri Russell loved her hair short, but her fans hated it.

Is it when it looks bad?
Sharon Osborne and Ashley Scott may have liked Ashley's mullet, but it just looked bad.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 1:13pm
For long to short, I vote for all of the above. I'd add Julia Ormond, Laura San Giacomo, Roma Downey and Bai Ling. I consider Roma's and Julia's to be "disasters" only b/c they looked so spectacular before, not b/c they looked bad afterward.
Magua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 7:02pm
Christina aguilera's poodle should be high up the list , any of kelly osborne's efforts , and how about celine dion's blond crop
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2004 at 5:48am
I think a "hair disaster" should really be defined by a terrible, unintended accident or mistake, i.e. you have an allergic reaction dyeing your hair and it falls out in chunks. Poor hair decisions, i.e. mullets. . . on anyone, ever. . . is just a learning experience. Hopefully all those mullet-haired celebs out there will learn soon, just because it's supposedly trendy, doesn't make it necessarily cute :-P .
More awesome than a manatee!
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2004 at 12:28pm
Worst long to short...

1. Celine Dion. How could you guys have forgotten Celine?
2. Alanis. Nope, I'm still not over it.
3. Kim Bassinger. Cut her gorgeous waistlength hair at the request of Burt Reynolds for a movie role.
4. Bai Ling. When she buzzed her beautiful locks, I was shocked.
5. The poor longhaired victims on any makeover show, particularly that @$#%#$ Maury Povitch.
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2004 at 9:38pm
Well Gord, I need to respond,
Celine, yes, a disaster. She has worn short hair well before, why so bad this time?
Alanis, not a disaster. People may not like how it looks, but this was a positive choice by her.
Kim Basinger, that haircut was in the late 80s, and yes, she regretted it very much at the time. An unqualified disaster.
Bai Ling, well, maybe she thought she needed to wear ugly clothes to make up for the bad hair, not a good grow out.

As for the Maury "Victims", well Gord, since you were not at their houses every morning, taking care of their hair, I will have to respectfully disagree on that one!

One everyone forgot...Nastassia Kinski cut off her hair for Fransis Ford Coppola for the multiple Razzie winner "One From the Heart" The look did nothing for her, and she grew it back shortly.

Originally posted by Gord Gord wrote:

Worst long to short...

1. Celine Dion. How could you guys have forgotten Celine?
2. Alanis. Nope, I'm still not over it.
3. Kim Bassinger. Cut her gorgeous waistlength hair at the request of Burt Reynolds for a movie role.
4. Bai Ling. When she buzzed her beautiful locks, I was shocked.
5. The poor longhaired victims on any makeover show, particularly that @$#%#$ Maury Povitch.
arch94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2004 at 12:48am
Maury is a saint!

My two cents!
We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2004 at 7:26pm
Maury is a saint in the nether world, if you ask me! (lol) Conning women into cutting for that scam group, Locks of Love!
Is it too late to add more names? Here goes: These are women who looked at least 100% sexier with long hair, in my eyes. Faith Hill, Melanie Griffith, Hanna Storm, Meredith Vieira, Juliette Binoche, Valerie Bertinelli, Meg Ryan, Jamie Leigh Curtis, Sharon Stone, Anne Heche and Kim Alexis. Those are just a few. I agree with you, Gord, that the worst *ever* was Alanis' "makeover"! (lol)
arch94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2004 at 10:25pm
So basically you're saying ANY celeb who cut their long hair short is/was a disaster? That's what i'm reading...

My two cents.
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2004 at 11:23pm
It's a disaster when, without question, it looks bad. First example that comes to mind would be Celine Dion. I can't think of why anyone wouldn't say that the platinum blond crop a while back looked terrible.

That said, I think that it was more a function of that horrible shade of blonde. I heard it said once that almost any bad haircut can be made to look good with great color. Similarly, a simlutaneous change to a bad color can make an otherwise nice haircut into a "disaster". So while some long-to-short changes really are bad, so much is in the color and styling that you can't chalk it up to the cut alone.

Of course, let's not forget the gray area where maybe it looks great aesthetically, but the celeb herself hates it, perhaps describing it as "a brain fart" or "the worst thing I've done" (real quotes, by the way, two different celebs). Even then, can it be termed a true disaster, if through this change the celeb decides on another style that is still flattering and something that she is more comfortable with?

In other words, maybe this isn't about long vs. short at all [/wishful thinking]. Can't we all just get along? (I know, I know, it's never gonna happen)
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
c View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 1:21am
Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

These are women who looked at least 100% sexier with long hair, in my eyes. .. Hanna Storm ...

Are you serious? I don't think I have ever heard anyone describe Hannah Storm as sexy. I always thought of her as proof that one does not need to be attractive to get a job on TV...
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 8:54am
Ok, my definition of this will be hairstyle (not just cut) disasters that were intentional and not a result of movie/tv/stage roles or other factors (e.g., Kim Basinger and Robin Wright Penn getting buzzcuts after "LA Confidential" and "Moll Flanders", respectively, because the condition of their hair was destroyed after the movies). My rule is that the end result is much less less flattering than what it was before and/or could have been if it was just done right. And it isn't a definitive list or even that recent, just stuff that popped into my head (that hasn't already been mentioned)...

- Faith Hill's peroxide blonde, choppy bob just before the People's Choice Awards a few years ago. 'Nuff said. http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/2247843.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE793111D57D7EA14DB53862C5C2694362

- Alanis' last cut. Not the first or second, but the last one when she went her shortest. Not that short in an of itself was all bad (different discussion), but because it just looked bland and frumpy and the two previous iterations at least had some style to them. For example, this: http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/2465711.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE6490801A1BAFB05F4F8A749D3F92F334
versus this:
http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/3100297.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DEE83A91F10302154CB54E0049DA4462F4

- Jenna Elfman's short haircut the last season of "Dharma & Greg". http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/2253090.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DEE3A1B07C302095684C616F966FF61B87 Don't get me wrong, I love Jenna in short hair (think back to the first couple of seasons of the show), just not THIS short hair.

- Courteney Cox's long, flat, stick straight "Morticia Addams" hair for a whole season of "Friends".

- Courtney Thorne-Smith's super-short pixie. Ugh.

- Julia Robert's first ill-fated attempt at short and blonde back in 1991: http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/798019.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE7FC38CF455698F23E54FAB60F42A51F3

Maybe more later,
JF
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by ssjockey ssjockey wrote:

Well Gord, I need to respond,
Celine, yes, a disaster. She has worn short hair well before, why so bad this time?
As for the Maury "Victims", well Gord, since you were not at their houses every morning, taking care of their hair, I will have to respectfully disagree on that one!

[/QUOTE]Regarding Celine: A typical picture speaks a thousand words. When I saw this, I was speechless, and not because it took my breath away: http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39015000/jpg/_39015447_dion_203views.jpg

Regarding Maury Povitch: Remember, most of the hatchet jobs he gives longhaired women come at the suggestion of so-called friends. Many of the women who are forced into having televised makeovers are in tears as years of beautiful hair fall to the floor. There's no way you're changing my mind on this one, so don't even try.
arch94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 1:28pm
If you recall Gord, almost all...95% I venture to say, admit afterwards that they love it. In fact, several of them say they would have done it sooner had they only known how good it was going to look. Trust me on this one, as I have all of maury's makeover shows on tape.
We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 2:20pm
Just my thoughts... you take a woman... any woman... change her hair... if it takes her from hot to not.. then she wasn't that pretty in the first place. Celine Dion an Alanis come to mind. If you think a long haired woman is looks good with long hair but not with it shorter... then you only think her hair is pretty..which is ok... just say so! Oh and the vise versa is true as well... which is the boat I fall in.. . but hey... at least I can admitt it!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 3:23pm
This is too funny! Yes, I thought Hanna was super hot before she chopped her hair off. I do NOT think all the aforementioned look "bad" with short hair. I actually prefer it on a few women, such as Lea Thomson and Jayne Torville of ice dancing fame. But they are a rarity.
What I'm saying is that these women were at least 2X as lovely with flowing locks, in my judgment. My one disagreement with other long hair fans here is that I like Alanis' short cut better than the others on her. It's just that compared to her divine image, any cut on her leaves me flat.
Finally, you cannot judge a woman's satisfaction immediately after a new, radical cut, esp. on makeover shows. Those smiles stem partially from relief after a decision has been irrevocably made. The lie that their hair will end up on the heads of little girls may please the donor and mitigate the sorrow - until they learn the truth. Bob
P.S. How did I leave out Robin Wright and Courtney Thorne-Smith? lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic