Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alanis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 7:49am
Going back I though it was her saying her wanted a change. But then again I could be wrong on that.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Carmichael View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmichael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 12:09pm
Alanis somehow saw her long hair as her "last piece of stereotypical femininity" and recognized the need to change. She was also quoted somewhere else as saying, I should have done this a long time ago.

Source: MTV Online

Alanis Isn't Angry Anymore..She's In Love

Isn't it ironic? Alanis Morissette is feeling romantic. The singer most often associated with the proverbial "woman scorned" actually has love songs on her new album, So-Called Chaos.

"I just really feel like I've arrived at a place where I'm ready," she said. "I'm ready to commit to someone and ready to do the work. And I'm ready to allow that part of myself to come out. I think for a long time, because of my compulsively wanting to be viewed as an überfeminist, I would really stay away from things like being a hopeless romantic, being dependent on a man, or even wanting to be with a man, frankly."

But now that she and her boyfriend, Canadian actor Ryan Reynolds ("Van Wilder"), have been together for two years, she's rethought the matter. Her songs "Knees of My Bees" and first single "Everything" celebrate the relationship.

And she cut her hair — her famously long hair that shielded her body when she appeared naked in the "Thank U" video — because the shearing symbolized her no longer needing to hide behind what she calls her "last piece of stereotypical femininity." She now allows herself to be feminine in other areas of her life, such as "emotionally, letting [people] take care of me in ways I wouldn't have in the past." Now she looks forward to having a life partner and wants to see marriage happen not only for herself, but for other couples as well.

"It's blowing my mind," she said. "I look forward to growing old with my boyfriend, the both us growing old and wrinkly together. I heard this really great metaphor, that being in a long-term relationship is like a Ferris wheel, whether you stay when it's on the bottom or whether you get off, and I'm realizing at this point in my life that I'm not getting off, finally. Now I know it's an ongoing journey of us helping each other, healing each other, killing each other, laughing together. It's sexy, it's everything."

When Morissette's best friend from high school and her boyfriend recently reached the same point in their relationship, Morissette became an ordained minister so she could perform the marriage. Now she hopes to do that for more couples, gay and straight.

"I don't have any gay-couple friends who are formally engaged, but I would be honored to support the gay community in that way," she said. "I did it as a sort of spontaneous thing at a radio station about a month ago with a couple, and my heart was so with them."

With that thought in mind, Morissette changed a line in her song "Ironic" when she performed it at the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation's 15th annual awards ceremony in March: "It's meeting the man of my dreams, then meeting his beautiful husband."

Fittingly, Morissette's next movie role is in a film that explores love and marriage via the lives of closeted composer Cole Porter (played by Kevin Kline) and his wife (Ashley Judd). Due June 25, "De-Lovely" looks back on Porter's life as if it were one big musical production, so Morissette gets to do "some singing, some dancing, some barely acting" as she joins performers Robbie Williams, Elvis Costello and Sheryl Crow, among others. She picked Porter's "Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love)" to sing in her cameo, because it fit not just the movie, but her own life as well.

"I'm just allowing myself to be that giggly little girl, the giggly little princess that I never allowed myself to be," Morissette said. "It doesn't mean the competent and powerful feminist isn't still within me. It's still there whenever I want it."

—Jennifer Vineyard

Source:MTV Online
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 12:15pm
Good for Alanis. I'm happy for her!
Vineman_ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 12:17pm
That's the one. Because she felt it was unneccessarily feminine. I'm not sure why, but something about that *really* bothers me.
Carmichael View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmichael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 1:34pm
From the woman who once said " I'm not a lesbian, I'm just unnatractive"...

She also gives all the stereotypical responses as well when asked about her hair cut... newfound maturity, long hair a pain to upkeep, need to quit hiding behind it, boredom, growing up, should have done this sooner, etc.

Here's the actual interview where she concedes that she wishes she'd had done it sooner... and makes the comment that she wanted to keep on going cutting until "she felt sick." (there's even a link to a movie where she says same during an interview)

http://www.vh1.com/artists/interview/1486465/04202004/morissette_alanis.jhtml

"When I would speak with people, I would look away or look down or I'd hide behind my hair."

"It's really just a pain in the ass to have long hair," she giggles, with the indulgent mirth of an adult putting away one of her adolescent playthings.

http://www.evalu8.org/staticpage?page=review&siteid=7296

"In some ways even though I was a feminist, the long hair felt as though it was my one feminine thing. Of course it was a security blanket, but I feel very happy with my new look. It feels great."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/07/05/1089000082823.html?from=storyrhs&oneclick=true

You've cut your hair, which wouldn't be cause for conversation if you hadn't previously used it so overtly [in the video for "Thank U] to cover up your own naked body. Should we read any symbolism into the haircut?I think so. I'm not hiding as much. I'm having eye contact with people more, looking at people in the front row at my shows. My hair not being there to hide behind is very symbolic for me. But it also means nothing. I was bored with my hair.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2004/05/16/alanis_morissette_finds_peace_love_and_understanding?mode=PF
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 5:22pm
Vineman, I think it's sad that Alanis chopped her hair to rid herself of her last vestige of femininity, but this board is supposed to be fun. I, too, am drawn to feminine tresses, but you are WAY too angry! Hair issues are not life and death matters. Bob
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 6:18pm
What I believe she is trying to say is that she was insecure in her feminity before. She needed one of the traditional pillars of femininity, very long hair, to ensure herself that was feminine. Now that she feels more secure in her femininity, she feels she doesn't need long hair to tell her she is a woman. She needs to show that, so she cut her hair off. Now, she probably feels more feminine than she did with long hair.
Tall girl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tall girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 12:27am
I agree Rod. Exactly. Your interpetation of her I believe is correct.
In fact I have read that she said she does feel more feminine with her new short 'do, and dresses more feminine, wearing dresses, makeup, nice earrings, etc.
She's in love too, which always makes a woman feel more feminine.
Tall girl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tall girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 12:29am
By the way, why are these posts so wide!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2004 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Tall girl Tall girl wrote:

By the way, why are these posts so wide!

These posts are wide only because your display is so small Okay, just kidding. Actually the links posted by Carmichael are long and the URL doesn't wrap.

Originally posted by Vineman Vineman wrote:

This is ridiculous. Has this board been consumed by short hair fetish?

Really, need you ask? Isn't it obvious? (heh)

Well, actually, not necessarily "consumed," but there seems to be a certain predominance of it on this board. That general "crew" came here in the early days of HB, following JF when he migrated from elsewhere on the 'net. At least that's how I remember it.

It's interesting to note that when Alanis had long hair that some people here said (effectively) "she's ugly" (or unattractive), now that it's short some of the same folks say she's beautiful. Seems to be a bit of gloating by a few, too.

And then there's Bob S.

Originally posted by Brent E from San Francisco Brent E from San Francisco wrote:

Hal: I can easily read your writing (sort of).

Huh? Which is it, Brent? LOL
Native View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Native Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2004 at 6:55pm
Actually, this board seems to have nearly equal amounts of what could, I suppose, be called short or long hair fetishist. There are a number of people who love long hair and almost never like short hair. But there are also a good crop of those love short hair and almost never like long hair.

But there are also, mercifully, a good number of people who are more flexible and 'normal' about it.

Me, I ltend to towards shorter hair, but not exclusively, and the only thing I almost never like are bangs.
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2004 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Native Native wrote:

But there are also a good crop of those love short hair and almost never like long hair.

I get it....GOOD CROP!!! SHORT HAIR, CROP, GET IT!

Very punny
Native View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Native Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2004 at 9:17pm
I couldn't help myself.

I've been punning all day.
Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2004 at 11:45pm
Which is it Dave?
I will try and clarify what I wrote.
I can easily read Hal's writing (sort of).
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2004 at 9:54am
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Originally posted by Vineman Vineman wrote:

This is ridiculous. Has this board been consumed by short hair fetish?

Really, need you ask? Isn't it obvious? (heh)

Well, actually, not necessarily "consumed," but there seems to be a certain predominance of it on this board. That general "crew" came here in the early days of HB, following JF when he migrated from elsewhere on the 'net. At least that's how I remember it.

Whoa there big fella. I ain't taken responsibility for the short hair or long hair fantatics around here. Especially since I feel like I'm the lone voice of moderation at times and I've put up many posts chatising both sides when they begin to let their predilections run rampant over everyone else's opinions.

And as for following me, I was on another generic hair/beauty site before I came here, not "Buzzy's Bald Chicks". And before you short hair fetishists go look, no, that's not a real site.

As usual,
JF
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2004 at 1:56pm
Hi JF,

Not assigning any "blame" or "credit" to you. Just noticed back then that you had a following... a flock of loyal fans.

One other thought on the original subject... seems there was a portrayal of her long hair being a "vestige" of her femininity which needed (?) to be released to gain freedom... to fall into other vestiges of femininity she took up, specifically "feminine" dressing and make-up. Isn't it ironic? Indeed. (note to Alanis: you really can have it all, if you want it - you don't have to pick and choose.)
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 12:33pm
Oddly enough, her haircut, combined with a horrible release, "Everything", has served to make her seem paase. She now must seem to kids, at 30, to be part of the "older" crowd!
Her shows have much smaller crowds, and her album sales are about 1% of Jagged Little Pill. Too bad, b/c So Called Chaos is VERY good. Just a note to other artists (Amy Lee, Gretchen Wilson, Sarah Brightman, etc.) : Pay no attention to whining gossip columnists who berate your trademark manes; beautiful long hair sells- big time! It takes too long to bring it back once it's gone. Bob
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 3:06pm
By your "logic" Bob, that means that Crystal Gayle is the biggest selling artist of all time!!!!!

Oh, what a minute, there is no correlation between hair length and album sales.....look at Madonna, her short haired albums sold better than her long haired albums.

Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

Oddly enough, her haircut, combined with a horrible release, "Everything", has served to make her seem paase. She now must seem to kids, at 30, to be part of the "older" crowd!
Her shows have much smaller crowds, and her album sales are about 1% of Jagged Little Pill. Too bad, b/c So Called Chaos is VERY good. Just a note to other artists (Amy Lee, Gretchen Wilson, Sarah Brightman, etc.) : Pay no attention to whining gossip columnists who berate your trademark manes; beautiful long hair sells- big time! It takes too long to bring it back once it's gone. Bob
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Bob S Bob S wrote:

Bob why not try this... next time there is a concert in your area featuring a big name female, stand outside the venue with pen and clip board in hand. Ask as many people as you can if hair length has anyhting to do with why they are there or why they buy a CD. I'm betting within 15 minutes the looks get from those you poll will tell you what a freak... I mean how off the mark you are!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 4:28pm
You have never seen a Crystal show if you think that no one comes to see her with her Rapunzel hair. She is 53 now, but she still wows men, myself included! (lol)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic