Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PLEASE HELP - BAD STRAIGHTENING JOB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Christine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PLEASE HELP - BAD STRAIGHTENING JOB
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:09pm
Help! On Friday I got my naturally curly hair straightened and it looks awful. The person who did it sort of painted the straightener into my hair and ONTO MY SCALP and now the top of my hair is completely FLAT AGAINST MY SKULL no body, no lift, and I can't do anything with it. It makes me look almost balding and the rest of my hair is just frizzy and dry looking. I will never mess with my natural curls again but does anyone know of a way to fix this? I have been washing it every day since I got it done but is there anything else I can/should be doing? So far it has not helped. The hair on top of my head is so flat and I look terrible! It looks PASTED to my head. I have to wear it up in a bun until the roots grow out but I was hoping there was some sort of shampoo or something to take the straighter out. Any ideas? Thank you.
Violet View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Violet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:09pm
> Help! On Friday I got my naturally curly hair> straightened and it looks awful. The person who did it> sort of painted the straightener into my hair and ONTO> MY SCALP and now the top of my hair is completely FLAT> AGAINST MY SKULL no body, no lift, and I can't do> anything with it. It makes me look almost balding and> the rest of my hair is just frizzy and dry looking. I> will never mess with my natural curls again but does> anyone know of a way to fix this? I have been washing> it every day since I got it done but is there anything> else I can/should be doing? So far it has not helped.> The hair on top of my head is so flat and I look> terrible! It looks PASTED to my head. I have to wear> it up in a bun until the roots grow out but I was> hoping there was some sort of shampoo or something to> take the straighter out. Any ideas? Thank you.Response:I once had the spiral perm look --keep in mind not natural. When my hair started getting longer, I decided I would color instead of perm. My hairdresser cousin told me to use a home perm solution on my hair, take a comb and pull my hair straight. Let the solution set as if getting a perm and voila!! Straight hair. It missed a spot or two the first time so I did it again and I've had straight hair since -- 8 years. With naturally curly hair, I don't know--I'd ask a pro. I have a hunch that putting a perm solution in it and just mussing it with your fingers, not pulling it straight, may put body into the flat spot and even it out. ASK A PRO first, but it may be worth a shot. Just don't leave it on too long.Good luck, hope to hear it works out
Khayeth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khayeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2000 at 3:13pm
I'm sorry, Christine, your stylist erred so grievously. I'm also afraid you cannot "remove the straightener" since the straightening solution made actual chemical changes to your hair that really can't be undone except over a long time. Think of how long the average perm lasts before relaxing- up to a year if they are done right.

I've heard Prell recommended to people who have bad perms and wish them to relax somewhat, but Prell is a very harsh shampoo, and if your hair is damaged in addition to looking bad i wouldn't recommend using it. However, using excess conditioner in the first few days is also not good for the longevity of a perm, so perhaps in your case it might allow some of your natural dithianes to reconnenct.

Hot oil treatments are also going to restore health into your hair, but not neccessarily curl. But if all the hair looks better the transition from straight to curly might look less noticable. Also, wash at night and let your hair dry in braids,a bun, or even rag curls which are quite comfortable, and by morning a lot of the frizzies should be calmed and tamed.

Good luck

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic