Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The ultimate long hair question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The ultimate long hair question
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
Ok, I'm sure many of the other longhaired members of the board had the same experience, but here it goes again. As a sophomore in highschool, I had hair that was midthigh (now it's still around the knee area). I wore it in a ponytail one day. Some kids were examinig it and suggesting all sorts of crazy things, like getting it spiked, or shaving it bald. Finally, one boy asks, "How do you go to the bathroom with such long hair?" I didn't know how to explain to him why I won't describe the process to him in detail, so I just said, that after all of these years I've figured out a way. A few weeks later, my sister and I were talking (she had hair almost as long as mine), and she told me that a different boy asked her the same thing. Is this the ultimate long hair question of what?!
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
>Yes I heard the same stupid question and it wasn't directed to me as I don't have very long hair.How stupid can some people be.
Vera View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
I thought I had heard everything, but about two weeks ago a man in a suit and tie approached me in the mall and asked if he could buy my hair. My hair is past waist length and I get compliments all the time but I was speachless. I said "no way!" but he offered me $800. I balked, stuttered a "no thank you" and started to walk quickly away and said "$1000 and a stylist of your choice..." I turned and asked why? He said why not - $1200? I said make it $1500 and it's yours.Done he said. My stylist was around the corner and near the end of the walkway. We went inside and Jacky my regular was open. She said you're early for your usual trim what's up. I said - this guy is paying $1500 so ask him. For $1500 you can shave mine bub what's your story? Thanks but not today - I want her ponytail cut off at the back of the neck right here . . . then I think a chin length bob but raise the back a bit.We never did get exactly what the deal was, he mentioned something about a bet but it was never clear. I sat with $1500 in $100's as Jacky started cutting. My bob turned out amazingly well - my hair has a nice natural wave that I never noticed as it has always been long. I'm a happy camper but starting the day I never would have believed this would happen.
Vera View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
> I thought I had heard everything, but about two weeks> ago a man in a suit and tie approached me in the mall> and asked if he could buy my hair. My hair is past> waist length and I get compliments all the time but I> was speachless. I said "no way!" but he> offered me $800. I balked, stuttered a "no thank> you" and started to walk quickly away and said> "$1000 and a stylist of your choice..." I> turned and asked why? He said why not - $1200? I said> make it $1500 and it's yours.> Done he said. My stylist was around the corner and> near the end of the walkway. We went inside and Jacky> my regular was open. She said you're early for your> usual trim what's up. I said - this guy is paying> $1500 so ask him. For $1500 you can shave mine bub> what's your story? Thanks but not today - I want her> ponytail cut off at the back of the neck right here .> . . then I think a chin length bob but raise the back> a bit.> We never did get exactly what the deal was, he> mentioned something about a bet but it was never> clear. I sat with $1500 in $100's as Jacky started> cutting. My bob turned out amazingly well - my hair> has a nice natural wave that I never noticed as it has> always been long. I'm a happy camper but starting the> day I never would have believed this would happen.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
It's the ages-old story of a man using money to induce a woman to "sell out" and go against her will... but in this version, the target is her long hair instead of s--.If indeed there was a bet involved, he was probably "smart" enough to ensure that his "winnings" covered the "fee" he paid you. So his payoff was likely large enough to cover the $1500 payout, and then some.To some guys, $1500 is chump change. This guy probably wanted to see what he could get you to do. Be certain that he, and those with whom he bet, got quite a laugh out of what they got you to do.
David M Squires
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
Wow. I have never before heard of a loghaired person willing to sell their hair. Considering all of the time spent combing it, playing with it, styling it, caring for it, washing it, the money spent on the "perfect" shampoos and conditioners, I'm sure that you had spent much more than $1500 on your hair before this guy showed up. So basically, you were ripped off (both in money-value and in aesthetical value). I spent 12 years growing out my hair to where it is now, and I know for a FACT that a million dollars would not buy my hair (but maybe 10 million?...hehe). $1500 is what, maybe a computer, or a used car? I think that long hair is worth MUCH more than computers or used cars! Ok, point made, I'll shut up now:)> I thought I had heard everything, but about two weeks> ago a man in a suit and tie approached me in the mall> and asked if he could buy my hair. My hair is past> waist length and I get compliments all the time but I> was speachless. I said "no way!" but he> offered me $800. I balked, stuttered a "no thank> you" and started to walk quickly away and said> "$1000 and a stylist of your choice..." I> turned and asked why? He said why not - $1200? I said> make it $1500 and it's yours.> Done he said. My stylist was around the corner and> near the end of the walkway. We went inside and Jacky> my regular was open. She said you're early for your> usual trim what's up. I said - this guy is paying> $1500 so ask him. For $1500 you can shave mine bub> what's your story? Thanks but not today - I want her> ponytail cut off at the back of the neck right here .> . . then I think a chin length bob but raise the back> a bit.> We never did get exactly what the deal was, he> mentioned something about a bet but it was never> clear. I sat with $1500 in $100's as Jacky started> cutting. My bob turned out amazingly well - my hair> has a nice natural wave that I never noticed as it has> always been long. I'm a happy camper but starting the> day I never would have believed this would happen.
sanders View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
> million?...hehe). $1500 is what, maybe a computer, or> a used car? I think that long hair is worth MUCH more> than computers or used cars! Ok, point made, I'll shut> up now:)For 1500$ I will do anything with my hair. I am even prepared to let it grow ;-)S.
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
> Were you thinking of cutting it before this male showed up in the picture?
Unregistered
Unregistered
> To some guys, $1500 is chump change. This guy probably> wanted to see what he could get you to do. Be certain> that he, and those with whom he bet, got quite a laugh> out of what they got you to do.Vera could easily be hurt by that comment Dave.Diane
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
> Vera could easily be hurt by that comment Dave.> DianeWhen I wrote my response to Vera, I was concerned that she might be hurt by this comment, too. I said it not to hurt her, but rather to help enlighten her as to the possible mindset and motivation of the guy who played that trick on her, with the hope that she (and others who read this thread) would understand the other side of the "transaction," so as to be better equipped to deal with such situations in the future (should they occur).Dave
David M Squires
kerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
you know, this "chump" change to some people means food on the table, new school clothes on the kids, and money for bills. i think you need to reconsider that comment dave
kerry wilson
Unregistered
Unregistered
> When I wrote my response to Vera, I was concerned that> she might be hurt by this comment, too. I said it not> to hurt her, but rather to help enlighten her as to> the possible mindset and motivation of the guy who> played that trick on her, with the hope that she (and> others who read this thread) would understand the> other side of the "transaction," so as to be> better equipped to deal with such situations in the> future (should they occur).> Daveya but Dave the point is it is already a done deal. I would have been insulted if you wrote this to me.
Unregistered
Unregistered
>
Dave View Drop Down

Hello Kerry,I fully appreciate how important $1500 is to most people.I myself do not consider $1500 to be "just chump change."I made my comment to help Vera -- and others -- to be awareof a possible motivation on the part of the guy who madehis offer to exchange hair for money.I am quite aware that there are guys who think nothing ofusing money as a means of pulling pranks on others, gettingthem to do things which they ordinarily would not do -- andto them, it is a game, a sport, and "fun" to see if they can"get away with it."To accept the offer is to condone the solicitation. Ipersonally abhor such forms of solicitation, and I thinkpoorly of those who engage in making these types of offers.If everybody were aware of the true motivations of that typeof guy, and everybody refused, his efforts would be fornaught. And perhaps he would conclude that making suchsolicitations was just a waste of time. If only...Dave
David M Squires
Deana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:10pm
> "How do you go to the bathroom with> such long hair?"I was asked this question by one of my goofey cousins after he had a little too much cheap home brew beer. After looking at him with my eyes rolled up to my forehead, I replied, "Around here, I have to first put the seat down and wipe it off!" I never thought I would hear that one again!
Dave View Drop Down

Hello Vera,Please understand that you have my sympathy. I really hopethat you are okay, and that I haven't made you feel badly.I am sorry if I have.Dave
David M Squires
Vera View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Sorry I disagree. I spend less money and time on my hair - value wise I'm much further ahead. Also I have never had so many compliments on how I look. I had long hair all my life and although I was not even thinking of cutting it until that guy talked to me - I am very appreciative of his effort now. I've never looked or felt better.I love it and I'd do it again. Most women at some stage cut their hair. I had some guy pay for the cut plus give me $1500 to boot.
Vera View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Thanks Diane, I appreciate the comment. Daves comments really did not bother me. He only sees things from his narrow perspective.I love my new style and should have done it years ago. I have been surprised at the response and love the way I look. I wish I had done it years ago.How many women in this country get their hair cut every day and pay to have it done. I got mine free plus got a bonus of $1500. To Kelly I'd just say that she is just jealous as no one would pay her for her hair. She could try to take her hair to the bank but I bet no one would cash it in for the million dollars she says its worth. She is tied to a stereo type and obviously cant let go.I gave it up and love the results!
Unregistered
Unregistered
> Thanks Diane, I appreciate the comment. Daves comments> really did not bother me. He only sees things from his> narrow perspective.> I love my new style and should have done it years ago.> I have been surprised at the response and love the way> I look. I wish I had done it years ago.>Well that is great Vera. I am very happy for you.Diane
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:11pm
> Hello Vera,> Please understand that you have my sympathy. I really> hope> that you are okay, and that I haven't made you feel> badly.> I am sorry if I have.> DaveYou know Dave this reminded me so much of the time when a co-worker went to the dentist and had some fillings done and the dentist use the same stuff as we all have in our mouths but when she came back to the office my friend gave her a hard time saying that she is only going what is best for her by letting her know that it might cause cancer etc. She went on and on until it got to the point the co-worker didn't like my friend very much and felt like one inch tall.Vera happy Dave. It is only hair. No big deal. No sympathy is needed only a sorry to Vera.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic