Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scissor-Happy stylist cut much too much

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Angie Wendell View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angie Wendell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scissor-Happy stylist cut much too much
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:11pm
I just got home from my salon and am still in shock. My hair is so different from what I asked for, what I wanted. I think I'll feel a little better if I just tell what happened.Ok, so I have-had-hair that was about 2 inches below my shoulders. I liked having longish hair, but I'm starting a new job and I wanted something that looks good and well kept every day without too much effort. So after a lot of thinking and looking at a lot of magazines, I decided to get it cut to a little below chin length with longish bangs. I wanted it to be soft looking and to cut down on blow dryer time in the morning. Plus I'd still be able to pull it back if I wanted to.I called up and made an appoint with my haircutter. I've always had this tremendous fear of cutting my hair. I don't know why, I used to have hair that was a little below my chin.When I arrived for my appointment, I learned that my regular haircutter was sick. The head of the salon offered to cut my hair instead and was only going to make me pay what I'd have paid for my regular person. Since he was the better stylist and since his haircuts usually cost a good $30 more, I decided to take the offer.I told him what I wanted and, after getting my hair washed, I sat down in the chair, totally nervous but content. He combed out my hair and then turned the chair around so that the mirror was facing the back of my head and so that I couldn't see. He pinned up all my hair except for the back part and started cutting.I knew I was going to be loosing a lot of length and it was so scary to see seven or eight inches of my hair on the floor. And I could feel the scissors on my nech which was also really scary. I haven't felt that in five years. So he was cutting away and I was actually kind of excited about my new cut. It would make me look more sophistocated and it would be a nice change.But I felt like something was wrong. He was taking the scissors and cutting REALLY close to my neck, over, and over, and I could tell that something back there was getting awfully short. I know that they cut the underneath part shorter than the outer part so that it curls under, so I let it go.He finished with the back and the front was still past my shoulders. He combed it out again and sectioned out a part for the bangs.Suddenly I felt the scissors against the bottom of my earlobe and heard the sound of my hair being sliced off. That was the scarriest sound in the world. I closed my eyes and couldn't even say anything. Then on the other side of my head the cold metal scissors positioned themselves thouching my earlobe and cut. I was frozen. And I still had long hair in front of my face so I couldn't see.The haircutter, who was silent the whole time, then said, "Now is the best part. Close your eyes," while he combed out my soon-to-be bangs.I felt the scissors accross my forehead and I felt so naked. I knew without opening my eyes that the bangs weren'tas long as I wanted.He dried my hair and I knew it was not what I'd asked for."There you go," the haircutter said and turned the chair to face the mirror.I couldn't believe it. With my hair dried, it let my earlobes show. The bangs were straight accross my forehead. I had a short bob, not at all the soft below-chin length I wanted.Tears welled upin my eyes and I left as quickly as I could. Now I have this really sharp hair which is so unlike what I wanted. And it is so short. I can't do anything with it. And my neck is so exposed. And the world can see my earlobes. And I have tiny bangs half an inch above my eyebrows.I'm just in shock.Sorry this is so long, but I needed to tell about it. Now, I am terrified of haircuts.Angie
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:11pm
How horrible! I felt goosebumps while reading your message. I totally sympathise with you, Angie. I believe that people should be allowed to sue their hair stylists. I heard that it's happened before, and after reading a bunch of stories like yours, I really think that people should do it more often. It will teach those stylists to do what the CLIENTS ask, not what THEY want. Well, at least you have a different look that you can experiment with. There are a lot of cute styles that you can make with a bob, even if it's not exactly what you wanted. Wishing you the best,PD> I just got home from my salon and am still in shock.> My hair is so different from what I asked for, what I> wanted. I think I'll feel a little better if I just> tell what happened.> Ok, so I have-had-hair that was about 2 inches below> my shoulders. I liked having longish hair, but I'm> starting a new job and I wanted something that looks> good and well kept every day without too much effort.> So after a lot of thinking and looking at a lot of> magazines, I decided to get it cut to a little below> chin length with longish bangs. I wanted it to be soft> looking and to cut down on blow dryer time in the> morning. Plus I'd still be able to pull it back if I> wanted to.> I called up and made an appoint with my haircutter.> I've always had this tremendous fear of cutting my> hair. I don't know why, I used to have hair that was a> little below my chin.> When I arrived for my appointment, I learned that my> regular haircutter was sick. The head of the salon> offered to cut my hair instead and was only going to> make me pay what I'd have paid for my regular person.> Since he was the better stylist and since his haircuts> usually cost a good $30 more, I decided to take the> offer.> I told him what I wanted and, after getting my hair> washed, I sat down in the chair, totally nervous but> content. He combed out my hair and then turned the> chair around so that the mirror was facing the back of> my head and so that I couldn't see. He pinned up all> my hair except for the back part and started cutting.> I knew I was going to be loosing a lot of length and> it was so scary to see seven or eight inches of my> hair on the floor. And I could feel the scissors on my> nech which was also really scary. I haven't felt that> in five years. So he was cutting away and I was> actually kind of excited about my new cut. It would> make me look more sophistocated and it would be a nice> change.> But I felt like something was wrong. He was taking the> scissors and cutting REALLY close to my neck, over,> and over, and I could tell that something back there> was getting awfully short. I know that they cut the> underneath part shorter than the outer part so that it> curls under, so I let it go.> He finished with the back and the front was still past> my shoulders. He combed it out again and sectioned out> a part for the bangs.> Suddenly I felt the scissors against the bottom of my> earlobe and heard the sound of my hair being sliced> off. That was the scarriest sound in the world. I> closed my eyes and couldn't even say anything. Then on> the other side of my head the cold metal scissors> positioned themselves thouching my earlobe and cut. I> was frozen. And I still had long hair in front of my> face so I couldn't see.> The haircutter, who was silent the whole time, then> said, "Now is the best part. Close your> eyes," while he combed out my soon-to-be bangs.> I felt the scissors accross my forehead and I felt so> naked. I knew without opening my eyes that the bangs> weren'tas long as I wanted.> He dried my hair and I knew it was not what I'd asked> for.> "There you go," the haircutter said and> turned the chair to face the mirror.> I couldn't believe it. With my hair dried, it let my> earlobes show. The bangs were straight accross my> forehead. I had a short bob, not at all the soft> below-chin length I wanted.> Tears welled upin my eyes and I left as quickly as I> could. Now I have this really sharp hair which is so> unlike what I wanted. And it is so short. I can't do> anything with it. And my neck is so exposed. And the> world can see my earlobes. And I have tiny bangs half> an inch above my eyebrows.> I'm just in shock.> Sorry this is so long, but I needed to tell about it.> Now, I am terrified of haircuts.> Angie
Kathy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kathy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:11pm
> I just got home from my salon and am still in shock.> My hair is so different from what I asked for, what I> wanted. I think I'll feel a little better if I just> tell what happened.> Ok, so I have-had-hair that was about 2 inches below> my shoulders. I liked having longish hair, but I'm> starting a new job and I wanted something that looks> good and well kept every day without too much effort.> So after a lot of thinking and looking at a lot of> magazines, I decided to get it cut to a little below> chin length with longish bangs. I wanted it to be soft> looking and to cut down on blow dryer time in the> morning. Plus I'd still be able to pull it back if I> wanted to.> I called up and made an appoint with my haircutter.> I've always had this tremendous fear of cutting my> hair. I don't know why, I used to have hair that was a> little below my chin.> When I arrived for my appointment, I learned that my> regular haircutter was sick. The head of the salon> offered to cut my hair instead and was only going to> make me pay what I'd have paid for my regular person.> Since he was the better stylist and since his haircuts> usually cost a good $30 more, I decided to take the> offer.> I told him what I wanted and, after getting my hair> washed, I sat down in the chair, totally nervous but> content. He combed out my hair and then turned the> chair around so that the mirror was facing the back of> my head and so that I couldn't see. He pinned up all> my hair except for the back part and started cutting.> I knew I was going to be loosing a lot of length and> it was so scary to see seven or eight inches of my> hair on the floor. And I could feel the scissors on my> nech which was also really scary. I haven't felt that> in five years. So he was cutting away and I was> actually kind of excited about my new cut. It would> make me look more sophistocated and it would be a nice> change.> But I felt like something was wrong. He was taking the> scissors and cutting REALLY close to my neck, over,> and over, and I could tell that something back there> was getting awfully short. I know that they cut the> underneath part shorter than the outer part so that it> curls under, so I let it go.> He finished with the back and the front was still past> my shoulders. He combed it out again and sectioned out> a part for the bangs.> Suddenly I felt the scissors against the bottom of my> earlobe and heard the sound of my hair being sliced> off. That was the scarriest sound in the world. I> closed my eyes and couldn't even say anything. Then on> the other side of my head the cold metal scissors> positioned themselves thouching my earlobe and cut. I> was frozen. And I still had long hair in front of my> face so I couldn't see.> The haircutter, who was silent the whole time, then> said, "Now is the best part. Close your> eyes," while he combed out my soon-to-be bangs.> I felt the scissors accross my forehead and I felt so> naked. I knew without opening my eyes that the bangs> weren'tas long as I wanted.> He dried my hair and I knew it was not what I'd asked> for.> "There you go," the haircutter said and> turned the chair to face the mirror.> I couldn't believe it. With my hair dried, it let my> earlobes show. The bangs were straight accross my> forehead. I had a short bob, not at all the soft> below-chin length I wanted.> Tears welled upin my eyes and I left as quickly as I> could. Now I have this really sharp hair which is so> unlike what I wanted. And it is so short. I can't do> anything with it. And my neck is so exposed. And the> world can see my earlobes. And I have tiny bangs half> an inch above my eyebrows.> I'm just in shock.> Sorry this is so long, but I needed to tell about it.> Now, I am terrified of haircuts.> Angie
Kathy
Vera View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:12pm
Angie,I sympathise with your plight, but I always look in the mirror when I have my hair cut. Big red flags should have gone up when you could not see and certainly with cutting going on around your ears you should have spoken up.Next time bring a photo to show the style you want. Also I think suggestions that you might have a law suite here are exagerated. Did you inform the hair dresser immediately that you were unhappy?Sorry for your misfortune but next time insist on watching the process.
Linda W. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:12pm
Angie,You must be very upset, but maybe you've learned a valuable lesson. When I get my hair cut, my stylist always lets me see what she's doing and talks to me about it as she's doing it so there's no bit surprise. You also should have said something to him immediately. Now it's too late to do anything about it. There is one good thing though, it will grow out again and you'll be able to have your regular stylist or someone you trust fix it to the way you want.
Joe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:12pm
> How horrible! I felt goosebumps while reading your> message. I totally sympathise with you, Angie. I> believe that people should be allowed to sue their> hair stylists. I heard that it's happened before, and> after reading a bunch of stories like yours, I really> think that people should do it more often. It will> teach those stylists to do what the CLIENTS ask, not> what THEY want. Well, at least you have a different> look that you can experiment with. There are a lot of> cute styles that you can make with a bob, even if it's> not exactly what you wanted. Wishing you the best,> PDthat's the problem with some stylist they cut to what they want not what the client wants.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic