Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Teenage daughter dyed her hair black (permanently)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Teenage daughter dyed her hair black (permanently)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jillsie64 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jillsie64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teenage daughter dyed her hair black (permanently)
    Posted: March 14 2000 at 5:17pm
I need some advice. My now 14 yr. old step-daughter and her friend decided to color their hair jet black two years ago. Unfortunately, the friend's mother helped them rather than stopping them. They used permanent hair color.

My step-daughter is biracial and has naturally auburn hair. We have continued to color her hair because of the ugly root re-growth. Now, we are considering coloring her hair a more natural medium brown and adding some highlights. My thought is that her re-growth would be less obvious and the color more natural.

Can you successfully color dark black hair into a lighter, medium brown shade? Her hair is rather long. Thanks for any advice/experiences!
teach' View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teach' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2000 at 7:12pm
because your daughter has permanent black dye on her hair the best way to remove it would be to use a dye remover. You would need to decolorize it to the same level as her natural level then use the new tint color. Depending on how evenly the black dye came out of her hair would depend on how and where you would begin your new color application and also determine what volume of peroxide you would use.
hairtech2000 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairtech2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2000 at 8:42pm
you can but you are going to have to go to a salon.I use a product called 'modulate' [i think thats how you spell it] ,Its a die solvent that when applied will remove only the unatural pigment molecule. if you do this it should remove the black leaving her hair allmost the same color as her natural hair.and it does not harm the hair.then maybe a semi perm. color for shine and to fill a little
happy680 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happy680 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2000 at 12:50am
Yes ma'ma, this can be done, but with caution! Please go to a professonal to help. If you can't afford their price, then go to a local beauty school(ask around to find one or ask some stylist where they went to school:-) I understand not wanting the new growth to be obvious. Just let someone do it for you.
sgmusicgrl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgmusicgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2000 at 7:53am
there is a process that takes the dye color out of you hair. I did it before with a hairstylest. they put it in your hair and you wait a while and it rinses the color out.
beenthere View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beenthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2000 at 6:15pm
Hi I dont know if you got an answer yet, But you really cant use anything to get black dye out of hair. You could seriously damage her hair if you try it. I would suggest just letting it grow out or go to a salon and let them do it. There is hair color remover but it is pretty hard on the hair.
courtney19 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote courtney19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2000 at 8:41pm
in a situation like this you would be better off taking her into a salon to get it done. they know what they are doing and you're much more guaranteed that it's going to turn out, otherwise you could just end up damaging her hair or winding up with the wrong colour
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic