Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Brassy Haircolor--what can I do to correct this?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brassy Haircolor--what can I do to correct this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Capelli View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brassy Haircolor--what can I do to correct this?
    Posted: May 31 2000 at 9:35pm
Hi!

I hope someone can give me some advice with this. My hair is naturally medium brown. I have been dyeing it with a Light Ash Blonde for some time now and it has become very brassy. I just can't stand this look. I like my hair a light color, but this brassiness looks lousy.

Can anyone please recommend a good product to help me rid the brassiness from my hair? I've tried adding a product called UnRed that I bought at Sally's and mixed it in my color formula, but I really didn't see much difference. I've also used a violet colored shampoo that was supposed to help cut down on brassiness, but no difference either. Is there something else I can use to help with this problem without having to go to a darker haircolor? Maybe something else that I can add to my shampoo, etc? Thanks for any suggestions!

Capelli
RockinLocks4u View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockinLocks4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2000 at 1:26pm

Hi, The brassiness in your hair is not from the hair color you are using, but from your own hair.  The ash blonde formula only lifts so many levels. After it is done, you are left with the level that it lifted your hair to.  In order to get past that stage, you either have to lift it further(bl onde) or go back. If you go blonder, you can put on a semi-permanent color or a toner to create the shade you want, but you are left with double- processed hair.  My suggestion (if you just want to be a little lighter w/o the brass) is to tint back your hair to natural, wait and see if it fades, if it does, then do it again, then add tiny highlights(but a lot of them) all over your head. Make sure that the highlights are lifted past the brassy stage.  Even though you are not lifting your whole head, the highlights will blend with your natural color to make it look like you are all over lighter. Good Luck

Capelli View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2000 at 6:28pm
Hi Rockin!

Thanks so much for the brassy-colored response! Nice touch! :)

I do realize that my hair just isn't able to lift to the Lightest Ash Blonde that I've been using. I'm in denial. I actually almost purchased a double-process kit yesterday made by Clairol, I think, called Maxi Blonde and then they have an Ultimate Blonde and even something called a Blue Blonde. I mean I'm 'almost there' already with this color. I don't think I'd have to go through too many stages of color to get to where I'd need to and then use a toner. It's just that I've never bleached my hair out before and it's a scary proposition. I'm very tempted since I really don't want to go darker again. I did for awhile and really didn't like how I looked at all. I did end up buying a medium ash blonde by L'Oreal-haven't used it yet. It's definitely darker than what I've been using, but now I'm worried that it will just leave my hair reddish brassy anyway. I'll do a test strand. Someone suggested for me to buy a "toner" and put that on my hair in order to help tone down the brassiness. Would that do any good? And if so, what would I buy? If that wouldn't help matters, I guess I only do have to choices; bleach or darken. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it!

Capelli
forest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2000 at 10:36pm
Hi Capelli:

If your hair color is a medium brown and you use a light ash blonde tint you will most likely lighten up your level 2 to 3 levels with a 20 volume hydrogen peroxide. What you have to decide is this:
Is the haircolor an orange color? if so find a tint in the same level as your hair and it must have a blue base.
Is the haircolor a gold? If the haircolor is gold find a tint in the same level with a blue/green base.
Is the haircolor too yellow? Find a haircolor in the same level with a violet base.

All these base colors will neutralize the unwanted brassiness of whatever color you are seeing and don't like. Also make sure you are using a professional shampoo in order not to strip the color off your hair. Cheap drugstore shampoos open up the cuticle layer of your hair and the tint fades out very quickly leaving you with the brassy color you are seeing.

You can also buy a color treated shampoo to help keep the tint in. The color you would want to buy would be need to be close in color and the tint you use.

Good luck,
Forest
Capelli View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2000 at 12:29pm
Hi Forest:

Thanks so much for your advice. I think my haircolor is more of a dark gold color than orange or yellow so I guess I would need to go for the blue/green base color so I can diminish the brassiness.

My question is this. I've been using L'Oreal Blonde Supreme Lightest Ash Blonde. I've seen what I guess are called 'drabbers' in all those base color combinations you mentioned at my local Sally's Beauty Supply. They come in a tube and are made by Wella. Can I continue to use the same L'Oreal haircolor, but make sure I use a 20 volume peroxide, and mix in some of the blue/green drabbing color from the Wella product into my L'Oreal color formula or should I stick with one line for everything. (Wella also does make haircolor with different bases.)

If I can just mix in drabber bases with any haircolor formula, how much of the drabber would I need to add to the color formula?

Thanks so much for your help.

Capelli :)
Capelli View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2000 at 12:30pm
Hi Forest:

Thanks so much for your advice. I think my haircolor is more of a dark gold color than orange or yellow so I guess I would need to go for the blue/green base color so I can diminish the brassiness.

My question is this. I've been using L'Oreal Blonde Supreme Lightest Ash Blonde. I've seen what I guess are called 'drabbers' in all those base color combinations you mentioned at my local Sally's Beauty Supply. They come in a tube and are made by Wella. Can I continue to use the same L'Oreal haircolor, but make sure I use a 20 volume peroxide, and mix in some of the blue/green drabbing color from the Wella product into my L'Oreal color formula or should I stick with one line for everything. (Wella also does make haircolor with different bases.)

If I can just mix in drabber bases with any haircolor formula, how much of the drabber would I need to add to the color formula?

Thanks so much for your help.

Capelli :)
RockinLocks4u View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockinLocks4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2000 at 4:36pm
Capelli,  If your hair is really really brassy, a toner won't do much good.  If you go blonder and still have some brassiness then the toner comes in handy.  Yes, going blonde from fairly dark is scary.  You just have to watch the condition of your hair and baby it along.  Can I suggest an excellent reconstructive conditioner?  Joico's K-Pak.  The best!  E- Mail me if you have any other questions.  Good Luck!  RockinLocks4u@AOL.com   bye for now, Carrie
forest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2000 at 11:25pm
Hi Capelli:

Look for a color base of blue violet. I think that might be the best result. As for using drabbers of one manufacturer to mix with a color from a different manufacturer I do not know what the outcome will be. Personally I would try and stay with the same product line that you have been using and pick the base color of blue violet in your level of hair. Level meaning the lightness or darkness of your hair. Remember level 1 is black level 10 is lightest blond - you have to decide just where you are. I am thinking you are probabably around a level 6 or 7. Let me know what your outcome is.

Forest
Capelli View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2000 at 1:00pm
Hi Forest,

Haven't been here for a while and just caught your post.

I ended up purchasing a level 9 Wella ash blonde with a Blue/Green base color. Since I think my hair is more goldish than orange or yellow. I have 20% peroxide on hand. I have not done a strand test with this combo yet and the roots I have showing are proof of that. LOL Hope I purchased the right stuff. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for your help.

Capelli
Capelli View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2000 at 1:08pm
Hi Carrie,

Thanks for your suggestions. I bought a Level 9 Ash Blonde with a Blue/Green base color and I have 20% peroxide on hand. Haven't tried this combo yet. Need to very soon though--got about an inch of roots showing.

I don't think I have the guts (and expertise) needed to outright bleach my hair a true blonde, so I'm just going to try to get the brassiness out. In the fall, I think I'm going to go a touch darker, like as light a brown as I can get. I just hope it won't come out too reddish. I've even thought of buying a brown color-enhancing shampoo and see what that would do on the color I have now since it would eventually wash out so no harm done.

I wrote down that Joico K-pak. I'm going to look for it at Sally's. I also wrote down your e-mail address in case I have more questions. Thanks so much for all your help!

Capelli

forest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2000 at 9:35am
Hi Capelli:

Havent't been to the site for awhile. I am assuming that you have done your haircolor by now. Hope it came out o.k. If you have any more problems e-mail me at meyer@jorsm.com. Good luck Forest
Capelli View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2000 at 4:14pm
First of all a big thanks to Forest and RockinLocks4U for all of your help and suggestions.

Just wanted to give you a little update. I purchased a professional permanent Lightest Ash Blonde with Blue/Violet Base color and mixed it with 20% Vol. Developer and it completely rid my hair of the deep gold/sort of reddish brassiness I had. I'm very pleased with the results. I'm not sure I'll stay at this color forever--it is lighter than I've ever had it. I'm toying with going to a light brown color in the Fall, but for now this is a nice summer look. Thanks again for all your help!

Capelli
Miffny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miffny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 9:37am
Hi Capelli so glad your hair turned out well...I hate brassiness as well.

I am a retired Hairdresser with difficult hair I have 1/2 head blondest foils my hair is great with bleach but when my hairdresser uses toner all through it tends to go brassy at the roots.she has used gold pearl/ash/violet ash *being the worst offender* so I am most curious to what professional brand toned your hair.

Thanks in Advance :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic