Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Short & shapeless

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bovary View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bovary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short & shapeless
    Posted: June 11 2000 at 6:23pm
Hello! Happy to find this entire site. Had been growing out a shag cut (very similar to Fonda's and Swanks @ the Oscar's). It was looking great, with the exception that one area just above my right ear seemed to be cut a bit shorter than the rest. (Coarse, wavy texture, this spot is also where more gray is popping up, too.) Went to my usual stylist, asking to have the back bobbed to the hairline, wanting to 'heavy-up' all those layers. Also asked that the shorter area be left alone. Well, she must have cut it, because it was more difficult than ever to style - the whole cut was neither bob nor shag. A week later went to a stylist I'd known in the past, and had her cut it much shorter, but asked that the top & sides be left longer, wanting the back and ears cut out, like a sculpted messy wedge. It is much shorter than I'd wanted! I spent 10 minutes in the chair explaining what I'd wanted, was very vocal about my wishes, in a polite way. It's a mess now, not bobbing under in the old "jane ala Melrose Place' cut, and not feathering back in a traditional wedge either. It is very chopped and I'm sick over it. It's like it's not even ME in the mirror now. I have an appt with a well respected salon next month, just to fix this before I leave for vacation. It's like my 'Summer of good hair' is shot to Hell. I swear, if I were going sailing or hiking for 2 months, I'd buzz it off, ala Sinead O'Connor, just so I'd have a clean slate to start with. Wish stylists LISTENED, and realized that one *F* up of their scissors can really blow a persons look. By the way, I had my state license before having a family - so I know the terms: bevelled, bobbed etc. and still get terrible cuts. UGhhhhh!
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2000 at 7:25am
The fact is many stylists DON'T listen, they just have an idea in their heads and what you say is irrelevant. Hence you can ask for the same cut from two different stylists and.. well you know the rest. From what you've said, may I suggest that you buzz it down to about an inch or so, that is, as if you had shaved it off and then disappeared for 2 months. Then you have a "clean slate" and a cool style for summer!
phil
Bovary View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bovary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2000 at 7:09pm
Your suggestion is not far from what I plan to do. I've an appt next week with a well respected salon in my area. Have found so photos of short layered cuts (pixie-like) and will take those with me. I'll say a prayer, turn 3 times outside the door and hold a lucky penny! haha Again, thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic