Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Not a BLOOPER, but a problem nonetheless....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kimbom View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not a BLOOPER, but a problem nonetheless....
    Posted: July 06 2000 at 10:06am
I wouldn't consider this a blooper, but it's definitely a problem I need some help with! My natural hair color is a medium to dark brown with a pretty good spritzing of gray. I dyed my hair various shades of red for MANY years (looking for the all-elusive drop-dead gorgeous copper-red!!), then went to a strawberry blonde that mixed Clairol Blondest Strawberry and Clairol High-Lift Golden Blonde half and half with a 30 volume developer.

About a year and a half ago, I decided I wanted to go red again...and now I can't get a red to stay in my hair to save my life! It's gotten somewhat better, but at first I could see the red in the water I washed my hair in for quite awhile after I colored. I started to use a protein-filler and that helped, but I still have a tremendous fade problem. I'm having to dye my hair every 4 to 6 weeks, not only to dye my roots, but to get my color back everywhere! I never had this problem before - I used to be able to get away with just dying my roots. I've been using Clairol Reddest Fire Red mixed half and half with Clairol High-Lift Natural Blonde, using a 30 volume developer; however, I've tried other combos of colors with the same result.

HELP!!! What do I do to keep my color from fading so badly!?!
pixiestix View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixiestix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2000 at 3:11pm
well ok. ill help with the basics but i dont work with clairol. here we go. if you lifted to a "strawberry " blonde than the natural underlying pigments for a rich red are gone. you must put them back into the hair by filling it. to fill your hair youll need a temporary color. a temporary color is not mixed with anything it is pure pigment you put form the bottle on your hair. if youre scared you can dilute it with water. for a deep brownish red use a reddish orange, for a richlighter reddish use a orange yellow. if your hair is porous(you can find out by pulling out a piece and putting it in a bowl of tepid water. if it sinks, youre porous. if it floats youre not.)put a bag on your head and sit around for 20 mins if not put an bag on and add heat. towel off the formula use a nasty old towel, do not rinse, towel it off until your hair is almost dry. apply your target color on top of it and process. in the future after your color correction use a color based shampoo and conditioner to help keep the proper tones in your hair. artec, schwarzkopf and paul mitchell all make them. use them . you wot have to fill your hair everytime either. for future reference dont pull 30 vol developer through your ends, thats part of the problem. use the proper developer for new growth and a proper developer for your ends.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic