Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red-head help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
evnev View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evnev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red-head help!
    Posted: July 29 2000 at 4:41am
My hair was a copperish color as a child, and has 'faded' to more of a brown over the past 5 years. (I am 31). Over the past few years I have been dying my hair, trying to get back to my 'natural' shade. I eventually found L'Oreal's Excellence 6RB (light reddish brown) to be a great color on me (my hair stylist was always amazed that I did the color myself -- and told me to continue to do so since I got such 'professional' results). This color appeared to be about 2 shades lighter than my normal hair color.

Well, about a year ago I decided the roots were too difficult to maintain so I started to use semi-permanents (mostly L'Oreal castings in Chestnut)in the hopes that my hair would go back to my darker color and I wouldn't have to color it anymore.

The semi-permanent was always bit too dark initially, but I was always hoping that my 'roots' would no longer be noticable. Well, after about 3 weeks the darker color would fade from my hair and the roots would be noticable again as they they grew in. I even tried a darker permanent (Nice and Easy medium reddish brown) dye hoping the color wouldn't fade from the ends and midhair. No such luck.

After dealing with this every month for a year, 2days ago I foolishly tried to 'highlight' my hair with lemon juice and the sun (trying to make it look sun-kissed and natural) and got an even lighter shade of coppery-orange hair to the ends and mid-shaft (still making the roots look dark).

Tonight I tried to 'tone down' this color by applying L'oreal Castings in Chestnut (my 'old standby'). Now my hair is quite dark and fake looking (dark brownish redish orange). It isn't necesarily a 'disaster', but it is a far cry from my "glorious" permanent color days with L'Oreal Excellence 6RB.

My questions:

1. Can I 'lighten' up the semi-permanent with dishwashing liquid, clairifying shampoos, etc? And then can I use a permanet color over this?

2. How can I go back to using the permanent L'Oreal 6RB again? (or get the same results with a different color?) This color was so great on my hair -- not too orangey -- and looked very natural. (I figure, since I am coloring it every month with the friggin' semi-permanents, might as well use the permanent and get a great color!)

I appreciate ANY help! I am a rather impatient person (big flaw, I know) and I hope someone answers soon, because I may decide to 'try' something and I would hate to be back here Sunday night crying over my "pink hair/ orange hair/ bald head" etc!!

Elizabeth
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2000 at 6:57am
Have you thought of using henna powder (available from most chemists or health stores)? OK, its messy, but if you can live with that it suits your color perfectly, is completly natural and really conditions hair as it colors. I wonder if the problem you've been having may emanate from using too many different chemicals.
phil
evnev View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evnev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2000 at 10:02pm
Phil,
Yes, I have tried Henna in the past. I didn't mind using henna -- except for the smell -- but I had read in several places that Henna actually dries out your hair over time and after several applications.

Also, Henna always seems to give a strange copper hue to my hair, even when I used a strawberry blonde color.

I have tried color deposit shampoos and conditioners, but they still give an orangey color to my hair.

Maybe I should just pay loads of money and go to the salon??
cosmo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2000 at 5:43pm
The last advise you gave yourself is the best - it's definately time to see a professional!!! Don't be sorry by compounding more mistakes. Cut your losses and have it corrected it now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic