Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Straightening Curly Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mary A. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary A. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straightening Curly Hair
    Posted: January 25 2000 at 3:49pm
I have thick, curly, frizzy hair. I have tried to control it with different hairstyle lenths, but it always winds up big and frizzy. Does a chemical straightener really work? Is it true that they leave your hair very dry and still a bit frizzy? How often does the process have to be repeated? Any ideas to live with the frizz?
vicky View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2000 at 4:11pm
Kiki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2000 at 4:13pm
Vanessa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2000 at 12:33pm
Hi Mary A.

Not too long ago I thought I'd be 'smart' and put a straightener in my hair (my hair too, is thick and curly w/ a tendency to be frizzy), because I was sooooo tired of trying to blow dry it straight. I'm sure this does not happen with everyone, but my hair was actually curlier afterwards----and frizzy. UGH!!! Plus it felt drier than the Sahara desert.

I think my hair was trying to tell me something. Something like "Your hair is curly, so live with it and love it!" Since my straightening episode, I have been trying everything to get my hair back in shape. I've tried several products so far and have actually been quizzing people that have "to die for" beautiful curls and so far the Pantene line of products have been wonderful. My hair is finally beginning to cooperate and is starting to look healthy again.

But to make a long story short (?!?!?) I'd skip the straighteners, because it takes way too long to repair the damage that they do.

Good luck from a former curl hater that is actually beginning to love her curls!
grinbill View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grinbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2000 at 7:10am
Dear Mary:

We are a beauty supply firm that sell Solano straightening irons that we can't keep in stock. Naturally, a styling aid should be used first. Don't worry, the heat is not excessive. Please feel free to contact us for further information. Also you may wish to check ourt the web site www.naturallycurly.com
Sim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2000 at 10:59pm
Straightening my hair was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I know that sounds a bit dramatic, but it is very worth the time and money. My college roomate convinced me to have my hair chemically straightened two years ago and Iv'e been doing it ever since. The trick is to find a hairdresser who is used to working with curly hair and has experience chemically straightening and blow drying to a silky smooth texture. The product you should request is made by Hawian Silk and it is a conditioning relaxer. This should be applied, rinsed and your hair should be placed in large hot rollers or blown dry. The down side to a chemical job is that you still have to blow dry your hair straight when you get out of the shower. That can take 30-60min depending on the length of your hair. The technique is to dry in layers and sections until it is smooth. You will need the blow dryer to be on a hot setting to get a totally straight look. The chemicals do not dry or make your hair brittle. In fact, it will probably be the healthiest your hair has ever looked (cut included). The treatment grows out in 6-8 months so you do need reapplications. So far, so good.

Sim
Afro View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2000 at 8:40am
Well Mary,
I have curly hair too and around this time last year,I straighten it up for the first time.
And of course it works!My hair was straight and flat like I wanted!The thing is,if it is your first time,that you don't know how your hair will react!My hair reacted very nice!They did not break or fall or anything.Although,two of my friends did that and one her, her hair fell(not all,I mean she wasn't bold or anything!)and the others lasted only a few months and then went back to its natural.That's why it is a quite big risc especialy if you are a hair-fric,like me!Know that nobody really knows how your hair is going to react to the product so there is a risc that your hair will fall(I bit,I repeat) or break etc!But then on the other hand it could just be like me straight n'nice.In fact my hair stayed straight for more then 7 months!
Nobody can deny that having curly hair is easy!
When we have straight hair we want curly and when we have curly we want straight!I guess it is in humain's nature to never be happy of what we have!
If you want to talk more about this you can always e-mail me,if u want!My e-mail address is: good_by_day@hotmail.com
I'll be more then happy to answer your questions!
*Afro*
chocolate chip View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolate chip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2000 at 6:41pm
Thank you Sim for finally providing the answer I was looking for about relaxing my hair. I have long, slightly wavy hair. It has the most manageability and beauty when it is straight. If I will still have to blow-dry my hair straight , then there is no need for me to have it chemically relaxed. I thought with a relaxer, I would be able to wash my hair, let it air-dry, then just let it hang nice and straight down my back. Now I know I can just save my money and not have to worry about having my hair fall out. I will just continue my routine of washing, blow-drying it straight, then styling or turning the ends under with a curling iron.
chocolate chip View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolate chip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2000 at 7:06pm
Here's my ritual when I do my own hair. After I towel-dry, I put on some Aveda Elixer Leave-on conditioner, and divide hair into 6 sections. I blow dry it using the large comb attatchment and low heat. Then I use a large- barrel curling iron and working with small sections at a time smooth hair all the way to the end, just curling ends under. After that, I put on some Aveda Purefume Brilliant which is a light oil that leaves my hair shiny,and healthy looking. The Aveda never leaves my hair looking or feeing gunky, and it has a light smell that does not overpower you If you use the Aveda, let me know how you like it. Chris at Lucma@msn.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic