Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What to do to hold my waves/curls??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
asyouwish View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asyouwish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do to hold my waves/curls??
    Posted: May 06 2000 at 6:12pm

I need help!! My hair is about shoulder length, with long layers, but it also thick. I've always blow-dried my hair until recently when I decided to try something different. My hair has some natural curl, so after I washed it, I used some gel and scrunch dried it. The curl/wave looked cute for awhile, but as it dried it sort of fell out and became frizzy. What to do??? Should I blow it dry with a diffuser and add more gel?? Any product or styling suggestions?!?!? thanks.
sarah15sg View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarah15sg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2000 at 7:08pm
I use this great stuff, its from...just a sec, lemme grab the bottle....Salon Selectives, its called Styling Foam 10 its in a (of course) pink bottle and the box with the 10 in it is purple, just wash your hair, use about 10 squirts of this stuff rub it through your hair, comb your hair, and scrunch it up and make it curly while its still damp and just let it dry, it keeps the curls looking wet, this is what i use, your hair sounds just like mine, hope it works!!
Marina23 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marina23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2000 at 11:09pm
Having curly hair forever, I have found that EVERY single step I take in styling my hair can make a big difference in my results. Let me start with briefly describing my hair. It is to my waist, and I have layers from above my chin down. My hair has been permed until 5 years ago, when I discovered the natural wave I had, could replace the perms I had been getting for years - I will explain what I have to do though. My hair and texture is normal, medium in thickness. Honestly between me and you (not trying to sound conceited - for reals) I know I must be doing something right because I am always getting compliments on my hair.

I wash my hair with Suave (yeah, I know but it REALLY works and I don't buy it because it's cheap either - but hey that parts a plus!) 2 in 1 Moisturizing (red label and it's the Salon Performance edition) then I condition my hair with Suave Salon Performance healthy shine (green label). I usually leave the conditioner in while I shave or wash the rest of my body - I always rinse with lukewarm water as really hot water strips your hair.

I get out of the shower and I comb out my hair with a double rounded comb (it's very gentle on hair and it seperates the strands better for bigger defined curls). I have found that when you brush out your hair prior to styling, it makes a difference on how your style turns out. So if you brush with a bad comb, your hair may look unhealthy due to tangles or from too much pulling on your hair. Also, if you brush your hair back instead of parting, this eleminates a part, and it may give you more volume on top. Or you can even try doing a zig zag look at this point, or a part on the side, middle, etc if you prefer.

Okay, so after my hair is brushed out, I flip my hair over and scrunch with my towel just a few times. This helps give it extra curl (if this is what you need). Then I put my hair up in the towel. By the time my makeup is complete, my hair is ready to be done - or ready to begin I should say.

First I take the towel off of course. It should not be dry anywhere at this point, just completely damp. Then I use mousse and scrunch scrunch scrunch. I'm using Aussie right now, but there are many that I like... then I put gel in my hair (not too much), from my roots to the ends. Again, just a small squeeze. Then I spray with a very good max. hold non-areosol hair spray. A real good one my stylist uses is Alterna Enzymetherapy Max. hold finishing spray. All of this is done without flipping my hair upside down yet. Now I'm ready to blowdry. A MAJOR must for curly hair is a diffuser. I can not stress how crappy my hair would look if I did not own one. Trust me!! I'm scruching and diffusing now like crazy. When my hair is practically dry, that's when I flip my hair upside down and do more scrunch and diffuse, especially to get more curl on my roots. Okay, now I'm done and I just pick through my hair and spray.

This way of styling gives me long lasting curls and alot of volume sicne my hair is so long. Also, it doesn't give a ratted or wet look, instead the scunching gives it a bouncier natural curl. I hope if other's try it, it works just as well for them. I know it sounds like I go to drastic measures, but it is not as crazy as it sounds. Please let me know if it does or doesn't work!!!!
LouLou855 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouLou855 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2000 at 1:21pm
I also have naturally wavy hair. Whenever I get a perm it always turns out too tight and frizzy. Do you have any suggestions on which products to use for making my natural wave look fuller and alittle mor wave to it?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic