Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A straightener that works, please!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
denise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2003 at 10:53am
Originally posted by mtvsux mtvsux wrote:

Here it is! RUSK ANTI-CURL!!!

That is all you need! They have 3 different formulas. I have Lisa Bonet hair texture and #3 gets my hair straight. It is MUCH less damaging than a hair relaxer, but it is a hair texturizer. Use #1 for a little less curl, #2 for a more relaxed curl and #3 for straight. it will last for 3 weeks, then become more curly. But it will really change the texture of your hair, no matter what product you use.

FURTHERMORE, DO NOT USE ANY straightening balm that has silicone in it. Cymeth/Dymethicone. They suck!

RUSK ANTICURL has changed my life. I love my hair.

Why do you say that about cymethicone and dymethicone, and silicone in general?
Did it not work for you?
If you look at most hair products including conditoners, they all have silicone in them... just look for the ending `one`.
We here in Australia have had a discussion about the good/evil of silicone at our vogue message board, concerning pantene...and how most (all) hairdress hate the stuff.
I know that John Frieda`s frizz ease hair serum has those two silicone products in them, and other serums. The pack i bought said this product is the highest selling product for frizzy hair (in US and UK).
Does anyone have any opinions about silicone?
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2003 at 11:26am
Wow, this is an old thread, but what the heck, I`m in the mood. I absolutely love Tresemme European Slick Gel. I have naturally wavy, thick thick THICK (did I mention it`s thick?) hair that I blow dry straight with this gel, silicone spray and a paddle brush. I get out-of-this-world results with this gel and I`ve tried `em all. I went to a wedding in Nebraska this summer where the humidity was somewhat above the unbearable mark and my hair remained completely frizz-free. If you want to see a pic of my results go here:
http://www.michiganyaf.com/images/goodhairday.jpg
However since my hair is naturally wavy, not curly, someone with curly hair might need a little more holding power.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2003 at 11:33am
I just saw Denise`s note about silicone. Personally I love the stuff--it gives me great shine and softness. Now I`m not a Pantene fan because almost all of their shampoos contain harsh surfactant detergents and I have dry hair, but I don`t think it`s the silicone derivatives in them that makes stylists loathe the "P" word. Virtually all shampoos and conditioners from the drugstore to the salon to the beauty supply have some form of silicone in them: popular products such as Redken All Soft and Biolage are the same. Silicone doesn`t damage your hair in any way, but it`s true: it does build up after time. The solution is evident, however: use a good (yet gentle) deep cleansing shampoo to get the gunk out.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2003 at 1:46pm
i can use silicone if it is pretty far down on the list of ingredients in a conditioner, but i used silicone serum daily for a couple of months once- before i knew that it could build up and my hair became so dull! i just stay away from it now because i tried using it again recently and it didn`t work as good as it did the first time. However, some people say its a life saver when it comes to their hair. it all depends on your hair type, etc. Like lyris said- just make sure to give your hair a clean sweep every so often.
denise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2003 at 9:08am
Thanks for your advice Lyris and turquoise girl :)
Nice to get some answers about silicone and the Pantene from people who know there stuff.
I don`t use the P shampoo, but sometimes the conditioner :\, and i do notice that the silicone builds up and can be duddling....but for me i think it IS a frizz life saver.

Jade5 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2003 at 9:33am
I have the same problem you do. If the product is too heavy or creamy my hair looks horrible and it has a lost of residue left behind. I used Phytodefrizzant to calm my curls more than straightening, although I did try it the other day with my flat iron and the results were good but not great. I get great results with Alterna`s Hemp Seed Straightening Balm, it`s natural like the phyto and has the same feel and no buildup at all no matter how much you use. I used this the other day with my flat iron and got caught in a snowstorm 3 times and my hair never curled or waved at all. I have very curly, VERY frizzy hair. I love this stuff.

I tried almost all of the brands that you mentioned and they either didn`t do a thing or made my hair really frizzy.

If you want more info about Alterna go to their website at www.4alterna.com

Good Luck

P.S. No I don`t work for them :)
Laurel View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2003 at 9:24pm
Jade, is that you? The one that went to Turkey? And the hot guy cut your hair?
hmmm.... View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmmm.... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2003 at 4:10pm
well, LA LOOKS, straightening gel usually makes my curls look very lucious....ok then

hmm....
MiCk View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiCk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2003 at 10:57pm
Just like you, i have tried many products on my hair over the past few years as i really became catious of my hair situation. Many of the products that claim to straighten your hair, without you doing anything, but applying it, are fakes. I have thick, very curly hair and i have found that the only way i can get my hair really straight is to dry it somewhat straight with a hair dryer and then go over it with a straightening iron.... that brings about another problem, some irons don't work too well. The one i have is a Helen Of Troy and it works really well, i get my hair to look almost perfectly straight using that and a hair dryer. The other one i kno of that works well is Hot Tools. Also when using all those products you have to be catious of build-up, for some reason build up seems to occur much quicker on thick and/or curly hair... and lastly... don't bother straightening ur hair all the time, curly hair can be beautiful if u kno how to handle it! wear ur hair curly and make ppl jealous!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic