Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A straightener that works, please!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
CarrieM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarrieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A straightener that works, please!
    Posted: December 13 2000 at 2:22am
I have fine/medium thickness wavy hair that is more curly in the front. I have tried sooo many products over the past few years, looking for one that will actually straighten my hair like they all say. The products that did little to nothing were: ABBA Straightening Balm, Rusk Str8, KMS Flat-Out Straightening Balm, ARTec Textureline Smoothing Gel, Vavoom Smoothing Gel, John Frieda Relaxing Creme, and L`anza Strait Line. I have had decent results with Sebastian Get it Straitt and Phytodefrisant Straighening Balm. The biggest problems I have had with the unsuccessful products are they are either too heavy for my hair and cause it to look and feel dirty, or they just plain don`t work. As you can see, I have tried many product lines, and am very frustrated with the results. Can anyone recommend something different that may work for my hair? Paul Mitchell Straight Works is a new one I might try, or TIGI Control Freak, Joico Straight Edge, or Back to Basics Be Straight gel. Any advice from those who have had successful experiences with any product, or just a suggestion would be a great help. Thanks!!
Mindel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mindel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2001 at 12:15am
Reply to message: 9.435.1
Paul Mitchell Straight Works isn`t half bad. My favorites still remain Alterna`s Straightening Balm and Iso Tamer Straightening Foam. Those two Rock!!! Another that I got pretty good results with: Senscience Straightener. I feel your pain...I`ve tried almost everyone of those products that you have listed. Word to the wise: Back to Basics Sucked!
*Mindel*
cristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2001 at 2:37pm
I know what you are going through. I have tried a lot of the ones you have listed. Joico Straight Edge doesn`t work either.
CarrieM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarrieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2001 at 2:03am
It`s good to know there are others with the same problem as I have. I`ll definitely not try the Back to Basics or Joico straighteners. I`ve been using my Phytodefrisant a lot more lately, and I really like it compared with all the other products. It is not perfect, but it does a pretty good job and I never have to worry about putting too much on my hair because the natural ingredients leave no build-up. Anyone who`s looking for a good straightener should try it... it`s expensive, but does the job. I buy it at Sephora, the only place I have found around here in Minneapolis that carries it.
mtvsux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtvsux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2001 at 1:44pm
Here it is! RUSK ANTI-CURL!!!

That is all you need! They have 3 different formulas. I have Lisa Bonet hair texture and #3 gets my hair straight. It is MUCH less damaging than a hair relaxer, but it is a hair texturizer. Use #1 for a little less curl, #2 for a more relaxed curl and #3 for straight. it will last for 3 weeks, then become more curly. But it will really change the texture of your hair, no matter what product you use.

FURTHERMORE, DO NOT USE ANY straightening balm that has silicone in it. Cymeth/Dymethicone. They suck!

RUSK ANTICURL has changed my life. I love my hair.
Monica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2001 at 9:22pm
I love Tigi Control Freak
Goldie~Locks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldie~Locks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2001 at 3:25pm
I kinda have the same problem...My hair is wavy and blonde, but I have alot of curl in the back. I usually wear it straight, but lately my hair has not been able to cooperate with me. Where do you get these products...if you get them online, please tell me what websites they are. Thanx!!!
Goldie~Locks
Cari View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2001 at 2:26am
I`ve been using just a straitening iron. Then when it`s strait, if it`s a little frizzy I spray on some anti-frizz spray.
snickems View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snickems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2001 at 9:17pm
i like the paul mitchell straight works...unfortunatly most of these so called straightening balms don`t work because they`re nothing more than hair gel, so the results are really temporary. you could try the straight works and a flat iron, that seems to work for me, also black women do something called a wrap which is a way of brushing the hair around the head and sleeping on it, when you wake up the next day it`s straighter than if you just blow dry it. I read that jennifer lopez also uses this technique, it could be worth a try for you
Priti Kumari View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Priti Kumari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2001 at 8:22am
quote:

CarrieM originally wrote:
I have fine/medium thickness wavy hair that is more curly in the front. I have tried sooo many products over the past few years, looking for one that will actually straighten my hair like they all say. The products that did little to nothing were: ABBA Straightening Balm, Rusk Str8, KMS Flat-Out Straightening Balm, ARTec Textureline Smoothing Gel, Vavoom Smoothing Gel, John Frieda Relaxing Creme, and L'anza Strait Line. I have had decent results with Sebastian Get it Straitt and Phytodefrisant Straighening Balm. The biggest problems I have had with the unsuccessful products are they are either too heavy for my hair and cause it to look and feel dirty, or they just plain don't work. As you can see, I have tried many product lines, and am very frustrated with the results. Can anyone recommend something different that may work for my hair? Paul Mitchell Straight Works is a new one I might try, or TIGI Control Freak, Joico Straight Edge, or Back to Basics Be Straight gel. Any advice from those who have had successful experiences with any product, or just a suggestion would be a great help. Thanks!!

I have the same problem as you if you find anything that works i will be very grateful to know of it.
Thanks
Priti
Dawnatella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawnatella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2001 at 5:22pm
hi..I use this product called "Flat out" by KMS. You have to blow dry your hair for it to work..I think it works pretty good.
Carly View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2001 at 5:30pm
I have very curly sholuder length hair. I tryed Bed Head`s Super Freak it worked better than anything!!
lilac View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2001 at 9:00pm
Reply to message: 9.535.1
where can I get it? it`s not rusk str8 is it? it`s called "anti-curl"?
lilac View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2001 at 9:01pm
Reply to message: 9.648.1
that was a reply to the rusk anti-curl girl
june25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote june25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2001 at 10:38am
As the others were saying, DO NOT use Back to Basics Be Straight balm. That stuff is crap, if anything it made my hair frizzier. Personally, I`ve had the best luck of my life with my incredibly thick, wavy hair with John Frieda Relaxing Creme and Secret Weapon. I know what you`re going through! I went through tons of products before I discovered how well the relaxing creme. Citre Shine Straightning Balm has worked really well for me, but that`s basically the only other straightening product that worked for me. I would go with Paul Mitchell or TIGI. Don`t ever use a regular gel to straighten your hair; it will not work. Hope I helped! :)
june25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote june25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2001 at 11:19am
P.S. You might want to try applying some leave-in conditioner before you blow-dry. That should give it some weight. Try John Frieda 5 Minute Manager Blow-Dry Lotion. Then put on some straightening serum and blow-dry hair as straight as possible. When applying any kind of styling product, make sure not to apply any on the roots of your hair to avoid it feeling limp.
SingingBeauty View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SingingBeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2001 at 12:23pm
I know what you`re going through also. I have very long curly hair, and for the longest time I tried everything out there to striaghten my hair. I finally just dealt with the fact that my hair is curly. The reason nothing works is because we were cursed from birth. ;-)
However, if you are willing to pay the $$$, get some Bed Head from you salon. It`s expensive stuff, But it works like a charm. Your stylist should know what will work best.
But if you ask me - CURLY IS BEAUTIFUL! :-)
love yourself.
Selma View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Selma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2001 at 1:06pm
quote:

CarrieM originally wrote:
I have fine/medium thickness wavy hair that is more curly in the front. I have tried sooo many products over the past few years, looking for one that will actually straighten my hair like they all say. The products that did little to nothing were: ABBA Straightening Balm, Rusk Str8, KMS Flat-Out Straightening Balm, ARTec Textureline Smoothing Gel, Vavoom Smoothing Gel, John Frieda Relaxing Creme, and L'anza Strait Line. I have had decent results with Sebastian Get it Straitt and Phytodefrisant Straighening Balm. The biggest problems I have had with the unsuccessful products are they are either too heavy for my hair and cause it to look and feel dirty, or they just plain don't work. As you can see, I have tried many product lines, and am very frustrated with the results. Can anyone recommend something different that may work for my hair? Paul Mitchell Straight Works is a new one I might try, or TIGI Control Freak, Joico Straight Edge, or Back to Basics Be Straight gel. Any advice from those who have had successful experiences with any product, or just a suggestion would be a great help. Thanks!!

EP Smoothing Lotion REally Rocks. I got a tiny free sample when I ordered my H37 from HairBoutique.com. They have an unadvertised special with any H37 Starter or Super Special kits they send this cute little bag of 8 EP 1/2 ounce samples as a gift. Anyway, the EP Smoothing lotion was there and I used it. It really really worked. I have tried KMS and Vovomm and John Frieda but this stuff really works every single time. It is everything that they said it is. It is not too heavy or sticky and just a little goes a long way. I used up every drop of the free sample and then when I reordered my vitamins I asked them to substitute a couple of the shampoo samples for the Smoothing Lotion. I just ordered two of the large deals because my sister kept stealing my samples. Yes it is only temporary but it is the best striaghtener I have found to date and I have tried just about everything. I love the Phyto Defrisant but the cost is to much higher.
Vinu View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2001 at 5:42pm
Reply to message: 9.644.1
quote:

Carly originally wrote:
I have very curly sholuder length hair. I tryed Bed Head's Super Freak it worked better than anything!!

did you have to blow dry it for it to work?
princessprissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessprissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2002 at 7:06pm
try using pantene pro-v `get it straight` gel!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic