Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

relaxed hair....and lots of frustration!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: relaxed hair....and lots of frustration!
    Posted: September 17 2002 at 6:01am
ok...i had my hair relaxed back in january...

and now....i am findin it so hard to manage.... the other day when i had my hair cut and had layers it seemed ok....but now a couple of days later...well...a week later...im findin it frustratin :(

how do u actually maintain relaxed hair? because i think thats one thing im going wrong... coz i dont know how to style it or anything...

i was thinking...maybe i should have it styled curly until it has all grown out....?

:( ah sum1 help me plz my hairs ******in me off now :(
---------------x
:Liz_Naz* (",)
threejobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threejobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2002 at 10:56am
My hair is relaxed and I have no problems with it. You need to have a good cut first of all. I just wash and condition every other day. I blow dry, with a round brush and sometimes I used a curling iron also. I also use Potion #9 when my hair is wet and Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade after I am done styling.
threejobs!
lissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2002 at 6:40pm
Hi Liz Naz,

I know it can be fustrating, we all hate our hair at times - whats going on with your hair now? Is it too flat, straight, out of control, etc. I found that it takes about 2 weeks after it is cut to settle in correctly. I have read that you use Keratase which are excellent products that moisturize and protect your hair nicely. Sometimes I have to combine different products depending on how my hair is behaving. If I use Photologie DeFrissant to blow out my hair it is very full, if I let it dry naturally with this product it is wavy. If I use a smoothing gel to blow out (which is a combination of serum and gel) it lies flat, if I let it dry with this product it is curly. Try to explain how your hair is behaving these days and how you would like it to look and maybe I can help you out. I just read the Curly Girl book and it had some great suggestions on how to get your hair curly/wavy with very little work and using the right products and technique. Dont Perm yet, there might be an easier and more gentle solution as you are growing out you hair. We all go through difficult hair periods but fortunately they end if we learn how to manage them.
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2002 at 10:09am
ok........ thanks Lissa btw :)

my hair is like.... where its grown all new hair... (about 3inches from the root) its lovely...naturally straight and in great condition...due to all of the deep conditioning i have been doing in the last six months.

now...the next... say........ 5 inches down.... its...i dunno, its like how frizzy hair gets.... puffy... puffy...dry.......damaged.. u can actually see its damaged... and unless its been blown dried it looks horrible :( ALSO my mate decided she would highlight parts of my hair...... with bleach :( so in these 5 inches to the bottom of my hair... has partial bleaching to it... which these bits are even worse : sorry if ive confused anyoine!

and then the next say 2 inches of the bottom of my hair its even worse.... coz that bit has been permed AND relaxed :( and that....well theres no words to explain how damaged and uncontrollably nasty it looks.

ALso, i dont want to use any heat appliances on my hair.... i dont wanna make my hair in a worse condition than it already is.. but its really hard...i mean how can u style something without them? its like saying i wanna paint a picture... but i dont wanna use any paints...lol :lol:

BUT :) i have found... that if i can somehow style my hair curly... without any heat appliances.... u cant really tell about the condition of my hair... and this will help me not worry bout my hair bein in such a bad condition...and i will look good etc etc etc... :)

I have found that if i plait my hair in loads of plaits and then sleep on it...wake up and open the plaits.... then it gives tight curls.... but i am looking for a solution to creating larger curls.../waves in my hair...

ok.... this is how i would like to style my hair.... i know its probably askin for a miracle... and my hair aint as long as this pic.... and my hair aint blonde either.... but these are the size of curls/waves i would like... :)

http://www.wobpictures.com/details.php?image_id=5410

thanx in advance to anyone who posts reply :)
---------------x
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2002 at 10:09am

my hair is like.... where its grown all new hair... (about 3inches from the root) its lovely...naturally straight and in great condition...due to all of the deep conditioning i have been doing in the last six months.

now...the next... say........ 5 inches down.... its...i dunno, its like how frizzy hair gets.... puffy... puffy...dry.......damaged.. u can actually see its damaged... and unless its been blown dried it looks horrible :( ALSO my mate decided she would highlight parts of my hair...... with bleach :( so in these 5 inches to the bottom of my hair... has partial bleaching to it... which these bits are even worse : sorry if ive confused anyoine!

and then the next say 2 inches of the bottom of my hair its even worse.... coz that bit has been permed AND relaxed :( and that....well theres no words to explain how damaged and uncontrollably nasty it looks.

ALso, i dont want to use any heat appliances on my hair.... i dont wanna make my hair in a worse condition than it already is.. but its really hard...i mean how can u style something without them? its like saying i wanna paint a picture... but i dont wanna use any paints...lol :lol:

BUT :) i have found... that if i can somehow style my hair curly... without any heat appliances.... u cant really tell about the condition of my hair... and this will help me not worry bout my hair bein in such a bad condition...and i will look good etc etc etc... :)

I have found that if i plait my hair in loads of plaits and then sleep on it...wake up and open the plaits.... then it gives tight curls.... but i am looking for a solution to creating larger curls.../waves in my hair...

ok.... this is how i would like to style my hair.... i know its probably askin for a miracle... and my hair aint as long as this pic.... and my hair aint blonde either.... but these are the size of curls/waves i would like... :)

---------------x
liz_naz View Drop Down

---------------x
liz_naz View Drop Down

---------------x
liz_naz View Drop Down

---------------x
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2002 at 1:17pm
bumpitty bump! :P
---------------x
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2002 at 8:27am
sum1 plzzzzzzzzzzz tell moi :(
---------------x
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2002 at 8:28am
ok fair enuff if no one knows, but can sum1 atleast tell me how i could define my wavy curly bits like she has in that pic? they look so cool and defined innit!
---------------x
lissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2002 at 10:22am
Hi Liz Naz ... It sounds like the bottom length of your hair is pretty damaged from the double processing - relaxing and bleaching. I can tell you what I did to mask the dryness/brittleness of my ends before I decided to cut off a few inches. I knew it was beyond dry because after I took a shower the rest of my hair would be soaking wet and the ends would dry in 5 minutes ... there was no porosity left and it could not retain any water. You need to keep the hair that is extremely dry and brittle highly moisturized at all times in order to achieve any type of style for your hair and have it look somewhat healthy and hopefully keep it from splitting. I would do CWC (condition-wash-condition)which means when I showered I would coat my hair with conditioner and then only use shampoo on my scalp with a good gentle shampoo. Rinse it off and then apply a deep conditioner and left it on for at least 20 minutes. Goldwell makes an amazing intensive conditioner for dry/damaged hair that leaves your hair like silk but it is alittle expensive. Back to Basics Raspberry Almond Intensive Conditioner is great also and half the price. I noticed after doing this for a short time my dry ends were retaining moisture and the appearance improved tremendously. It wasnt that the conditioner was fixing the damaged but rather it was depositing moisture and protein to my hair and I wasnt washing it off by using shampoo on the length each time I washed my hair. I would then apply a good leave which was a humectant that pulls moisture from the air to your hair. I like Paul Mitchells - The Cream and applied this more to the areas that were dry. It the style you are looking for is wavy I then would recommend using a product by Aubrey Organics called Mandarin Magic Ginkgo Leaf & Ginseng Root Hair Moisturizing Jelly, it is moisturizing and coats your hair like a silicone and really brings out the waves and curls and leave it feeling very soft. Many people mix it with the Aubrey Organics B5 gel for a more defined wave/curl without leaving your hair stiff. Some dont, but I love silicone on my hair and have tried many different ones. I use biosilk regularly, it is more expensive than most but I find no matter how much I use it coats my hair but never feels heavy and leaves it very soft and shiney. I would also recommend that you do protein pac treatments once a week to coat the damaged hair. I really like Jheri Reddings Extreme Protein Treatment - it was very conditioning and not expensive at all. I know you are trying to grow your hair long but I would also recommend getting your ends trimmed/dusted regularly. You dont want the damaged ends splitting and traveling up to your healthy new growth. No product on the market will fix the damage but you can mask it if you want to slowly trim off the damaged areas and keep the length of your hair. To clarify your hair if you feel that you hair has product build up, by still doing the CWC and applying the juice of one lemon to your first conditioner coating this will clean off the product residue but will still keep your hair very conditioned. Hope this helped alittle.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2002 at 1:20pm
Good advice from Lissa, as always. Another product you might like is Aphogee Damaged hair treatment. It is very high in protein; the second ingredient ingredient on the list is animal protein. (If you don`t use animal byproducts, this isn`t the thing for you, but animal-derived proteins *do* bind to the hair shaft better than plant derivatives.) If you have Sallys in the UK you`ll find it there. Good luck!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
lissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2002 at 2:46pm
Hi Lyris, thank you ... I learned so much from reading your posts and I LOVE the book you recommended, Paul has saved me much money and wasted time on products that claim to do much more than they actually do. Goldwells Keraskin Intensive treatment for damaged/dry hair is really amazing ... it does what it claims ... your hair is left like S I L K. I got it at Harmons Drugs and it was much less expensive there but still costly $20 for 16ozs. Im on a search today to find the leave in serum they make - my poor son is constantly being dragged around in search of my hair products but I think shopping at Victorias Secrets really put him over the edge this w/e!

I have that protein treatment by Aphogee in my bathroom but I was so afraid to use it because it says it hardens on your hair and I know this sounds absolutely crazy but I was afraid it might crack my hair ... have you used it and was is S A F E?!?!

Liz Naz I have to correct one item from above ... as far as the leave in conditioner that I used before I cut off the ends of my hair it was Nexus Hemectress - it is actually a regular hair conditioner but works extremely well as a leave in if you hair is very dry and brittle - it is a humectant. I know use Paul Mitchells The Cream and I find it has enough conditioning for my hair in its current state.

Liz Naz, I know your question was more geared toward styling but I found unless your hair is hydrated you will not be able to get it to behave. This is why my post was directed more towards conditioning your hair. I found once my hair was hydrated properly I was able to get my hair into most any style I wanted - stick straight or wavy/curly.

liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2002 at 4:11pm
hey u guys!!! thanks for ur advice... ur all gr8 :)

yer u r right, u have to retain its natural moisture...the thing is, the products u mentioned i can never find in the UK, and i cannot buy online coz i dont have a credit card... ive never seen biosilk anywhere.... :S

i do regularly condition and deep conditioin my hair tho, and have started using a leave in conditioner as well... and ur right Lyris, as soon as i get out the shower, my hair is soaking wet, but about an inch of my hair at the bottom almost instantly becomes dry,,,

:( but, my hair hasnt been processed twice...its been processed three times... permed, relaxed, then bleached partially...

but what kind of products r the ones u suggested? r they like conditioning oils? spray? balm? serum?

i guess if i know the type of product these r that retain the hairs moisture for the damaged bits of my hair, then i can somehow find a product here in the UK....

i did find a conditioning oil spray from boots about a month ago tho, and if i spray it on my hair when dry, it immediatly gets rid of the coarse frizzy damaged bits at the ends... i also brought john frieda`s salt spray beach blonde thingy...u know which one im on about? i think if i spray that on my hair it will do the same thing...get rid of the coarseness.... i had a shower tonight, so i shall try it out tommoro morning when i wake up

anywayzzzzz thanQ u guys!!! ur gr8 as usual :D
x

ps. i shall let u know about the john frieda product :)
---------------x
lissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2002 at 8:27pm
Hi Liz Naz, Forget the BioSilk recommendation, I have been using it for years and always loved the results but today I read the ingredients and it has Alcohol in it and I wont put it on my hair again and would never recommend a product to anyone that has the type of Alcohol that is drying to your hair - I guess that is why I never found it as greasy as the others. I did find another product tonight that is pure silicone and is a light formula so I will give that a try. Since you cant get the products we recommended you can use The Keratase products you already have because they are great. I would suggest that you use a little of the Keratase conditioner or the Keratase hair mask as a leave in on the areas of your hair that are damaged. You can make your own leave in by mixing it with alittle water and keeping it in a spray bottle and spritzing it on. Then you can coat your hair with a combination of a non alcohol silicone serum and a non alcohol gel - mix them together in your hand and then apply. This will stick to your hair and control the frizziness and mask the damage. And please give the (CWC) Condition Wash Condition or (CW) Condition Wash only - meaning you dont have to wash your scalp every time you take a shower - suggestion a try, and dont rinse all the condition off at the end, leave your hair coated slightly - Dont shampoo your length - This should really help keep moisture on your length along with adding a leave in conditioner. Inbetween washings you can spritz your hair with the leave in whenever the length starts to feel dry during the day. Good luck and lets us know how it goes.
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2002 at 2:43am
che arzzz :) :D

whats this condition wash condition? :S
do you just condition..... then wash out the conditioner then put conditioner again in? or am i gettin it all wrong?
---------------x
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2002 at 3:08pm
hey u know i found today?

i brought sum sheer blonde pomade... part of john frieda`s range thingy...the other day, and as my hair was drying from washing it earlier today, i was rooting away in my cosmetic bag thingy..and found it...

so i thought, im gunna try it on my hair when its dry, see if i can get rid of the frizz.. bet it wont

so when my hair was dry, not like the day after, but dry about an hour after i got out the shower,
i took a little pomade in my thumb andfirst finger...rubbed a little...then sleected a strand, and curled it round using my thumb and first finger....rubbin the pomade thru the strand...

and i continued to do this all over my head, except the back of my head....

and cow me, all the frizzyness has gone!!! AND!!!! i had like goldilock spiral curls round my head!! it looked so cute!! lolllll

try it ppl, if it works on my damaged hair, imagine what itll do for ppl with noram frizzy hair init
---------------x
lissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2002 at 6:30pm
Hi Liz Naz, Im so glad you found a product that works great on your hair. Have you tried John Frieda`s Sheer Blonde Dream Cream? You use on it your hair when it is dry and it smoothes away any frizziness/dryness on your hair and leaves the hair soft, shiney and doesnt weigh it down.
liz_naz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liz_naz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2002 at 2:19pm
does it?! no i havent tried it.... but thanx! i shall buy it tommoro :D
che arz!
---------------x
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic