Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Argh! Is there ANY topical product that makes hair shinier???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Argh! Is there ANY topical product that makes hair shinier???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sabrielle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabrielle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Argh! Is there ANY topical product that makes hair shinier???
    Posted: January 03 2003 at 1:55pm
Any product. I`m not the biggest product junkie, but I might turn into one because i really would like my hair to be shinier. It is wavy/medium thickness. It often looks like long forties-style wavy hair, which I definitely love. Big, loose waves.

Therefore, I don`t care if my hair is wavy, I just want it to be shinier. I don`t need it straight. Is there anything that I can apply to it that will make it noticably shinier?

Thank you for any product suggestions.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2003 at 2:54pm
Hi Sabrielle (pretty name!) It sounds like we have similar hair (though mine is pretty thick and sometimes hard to handle.) If your hair isn`t shiny a couple of things could be the culprit: First, it could be product buildup, which can dull down hair and leave it looking lifeless. From what you`ve said, I don`t believe that`s the case, but if so a good (gentle) clarifying shampoo can help.

Secondly, is your hair color-treated or otherwise chemically altered? Any process that changes the hair`s texture or color will damage it (it has to to affect the hair`s natural state.) Damaged hair can lose its shine, as can hair that is just naturally dry. If either of these two situations apply to you, you might want to invest in some moisturizing shampoos, conditioners and styling products. Those with silicone derivatives (anything that ends in "cone") will enhance your hair`s shine. Some people don`t like silicone additives, but there`s nothing dangerous about them except that they tend to build up over time. (Solution: that clarifying shampoo mentioned above.)

Having experimented with virtually every moisturizing product on the free market, I can offer you some of my favorites for shine:

*Redken All Soft shampoo and conditioner
*Phyto Systeme Hydro-Botanics Shampoo (Sally Beauty)
*Jherri Redding Professional Prescription Humidifier (Sally again)
*Mizani Moisturefuse Conditioner (but it smells so strongly of cheap cologne!)
*Biotera Shampoo and Conditioner (Sally)
*Jherri Redding Professional Prescription Shine Spray
*Frizz Ease Glistening Creme

There are countless others that work equally well. I apply a styling gel then spray my hair with the Jherri Redding stuff mentioned above while it`s still wet. If you spray it on dry hair you`ll get an even more noticeable shine that won`t weigh you down. I hope this helps! :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Sabrielle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabrielle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2003 at 9:58pm
I will give some of those a try. After not investing in any hair products for a while now, I`m ready to blow some money ;].

FYI, yes, my hair has been hilighted a little. Hardly noticable. It`s about a shade or two lighter. Still, I think it has dried it some, and that just isn`t cool. No more hilights for me.

I have had some luck with matrix lock-down spray (whatever it`s called.. it`s in an orange bottle), but the effects seem to wear off fairly quickly. I`m looking forward to finding something with more staying power.

Thanks for the tips, and if anyone else has anything they recommend that would be appreciated too :].
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2003 at 6:52am
Hi! I`m a big fan of Citre-Shine products. I use the conditioner, the spray gloss, and the `Shine Gloss` gel. I dunno if it would work for you, but these are miracle-workers for me, especially the spray gloss. Its a great finishing spray that gets rid of any frizzies and gives you and AMAZING shine. Don`t use too much tho or your hair will feel kinda greasy- just a couple sprays will work (depending on your length I guess). And hey....its cheap too!!! $$$$!!!

Good luck finding the right products for you. Hope this helps!

Love,
Ingrid
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
Elaine Leikhim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elaine Leikhim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2003 at 12:07am
And the best Citre Shine shiner is Highly Polished. OH! And that fragrance!
Olivia
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic