Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - curl enhancers - should I worry about dimethiocone?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

curl enhancers - should I worry about dimethiocone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GrowingItOut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrowingItOut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: curl enhancers - should I worry about dimethiocone?
    Posted: April 24 2003 at 2:16pm
OK, I started a thread earlier about dimethecione-free products, but I think I confused myself.

1) I went to the WalMart salon and got that curl-enhancer, only when I got home I realized I was a huge ditz because this was hair spray.... needless to say, I returned it, and then wandered around the hair section of the WalMart store for a while.

2) Looks like L'Oreal curly hair enhancers are also hair sprays...I think? I couldn't quite tell, so I

3) wound up buying Frizz Ease "Dream Curls: Curl Perfecter." It is not a hair spray, but an actual curl enhancer. I'm not sure I like it... it doesn't seem to spray all that evenly, and I can't really tell a difference. And it has dimethicione.

4) Should I worry about dimethicione? I've seen several posts say that Pantene is bad because the shampoos & conditioners have it. So does this mean that other products should not as well? Will regular dimethicione-free shampoo completely remove it from my hair? This confuses me.

Thanks for reading this very confusing, convoluted post.

Growing It Out since December '02
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 3:57pm
Silicone derivatives will not harm your hair, but they can weigh it down with repeated use. If you find success with a product containing silicone, there's no reason to change. Dry, frizzy hair can benefit from silicone derivatives (dimethicone, cyclomethicone, phenyl trimethicone, etc.) It enhances hair's shine and smoothness by coating the hair shaft and is preferable to heavier oils (unless your hair is bone dry) because it doesn't weigh hair down as much or impart such a greasy sheen. It is also more resistant to water pressure, as it clings to the hair shaft better than most ingredients.

The Dream Curls might contain something other than silicone that disagrees with your hair--quite possible a film former such as polyquaternium, PVP or copolymers, which can leave a somewhat stiff/sticky feel on hair--much more so than silicone.

I recommend using a gentle deep cleansing shampoo that doesn't contain any conditioning agents once a week to remove any buildup. Good luck! :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic