Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I'm looking for a gentle relaxer for my hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aces67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aces67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm looking for a gentle relaxer for my hair
    Posted: February 20 2005 at 9:40am
I'm white and have dark blonde, very dry, curly/wavy hair. It is dry from a thyroid condition that I have. I would like to put a good, but gentle Relaxer on it. I've been looking at Phytospecific Relaxer #2, it's 60.00 for a DIY kit. Is it worth it? Would you recommend it for my hair??

TIA
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2005 at 8:43am
It is worth it. I use it and it works better than the salon relaxers and is a lot gentler. I'm not sure if you should use index 2 though. But I don't want to tell you to use index 1 and it not work for you.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
lollipop182 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lollipop182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2005 at 12:53pm
you should try freshlook bodiphier. i used it on my and it reduced frizz and made my hair really soft. it calmed down my waves although it did not really straighten my hair out which is what i wanted.
coldsexy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldsexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 5:08pm

the best thing to do is go to a salon and get he relaxer in your hair especially if you are just a begginer with this, you might find that it is difficult to get all the sections of your hair and there is a possiblity of spoiling it. I had really frizzy hair, just a week ago i went into a salon to get a relaxer put in my hair, the results were beautiful, it took out almost all my curl and i can get my hair so soft and shiny it was definatley worth it, i paid 140.00 canadian, i would say getting it professionally done is way better, i don't think ive gotten so many compliments in my whole entire life.

- take care

Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 10:11am
I  agree with coldsexy, The best thing to do is get it professionally done. However if you do decide to do it yourself, there are good gentle relaxers you can use. I have never tried the phytospecific one, but I hear it is great. However there are less expensive alternatives. You can use Rusk Radical anti-curl, or Artec Texturesmooth. For your hair type, they will work great. I am latina, and have type 3b hair. Artec texturesmooth makes my hair beautiful. So does Rusk, however I find that the Artec one makes my hair a little straighter than the rusk. Both these products will smooth your hair and control frizz, but they will still allow you to wear your hair curly if you need to. The curls will be smoother, looser, and shinier. Think about which route you want to go; because if you go with Rusk or Artec, you can't change your mind and try phytospecific, or the other way around. Rusk and Artec are thio based, and phytospecific is not compatible with thio based relaxers. You would have to grow out all the hair that has been treated and once it has been cut off, then try the other product. Well hope this helps.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 10:32am
You can't even use phytospecific on the roots if you've used a thio based relaxer? Because I used to get my hair relaxed at the salon and I don't know what they used and now I do phytospecific at home. Luckily nothing bad happened. Does Artec texturesmooth work on 4a hair?
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 10:24pm

Layla,

I wanted to try phytospecific, so I contacted them as well as the people at Rusk. I explained to them that the last time I used the Thio based relaxer was a year ago. I asked if I could try the phytospecific on the new growth wich is about 6 inches. They both said NO!. Acording to them if the two formulas overlap even just a little, I would get a chemical hair cut. If your hair is type 4a, most likely they used a lye relaxer, not a thio based one. Otherwise you would have no hair left. I don't think Artec or Rusk would work on type 4a hair, but I'm not sure. You can contact them at Rusk1.com or Artecworldwide.com and find out for sure. However, if you are using phytospecific you wouldn't be able to switch to them anyway because of the reasons mentioned before. It sounds like the phytospecific works well for you, so just stick with that (why fix it if it ain't broken right?). Well hope this helps.

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2005 at 2:15pm
thanks for the info. I am happy with phytospecific I was just wondering about the artec.
eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 8:21am
What does "type: 4a" hair mean??

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 8:44am

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 11:27am

EATGREENJELLO,

Go to naturallycurly.com. Click on curl411 at the top of the page, then click on hair types. This will not only explain the different hair types, but will also show you pictures so you can have an idea.

Edited by Sharyg11
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic