Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Caucasian with frizzy curly hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
diddlydudette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diddlydudette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caucasian with frizzy curly hair
    Posted: February 26 2005 at 2:25pm
Hi,

I have always been a slave to my hair and have tried every product out there. My hair is not only tight curls, but frizz galore. If I don't use a big brush while blow drying or curling iron to it, I would not go out in public. It would look embarrasing and like a big frizz ball. I can't grow it long because it grows out, not down. I keep it short and just pray I never get caught in a rain storm without an umbrella. When I was younger, I tried straighteners, but they did nothing but turn my hair to straw and dry it out worse. I envy those who can just wake up and walk out of the house without doing their hair. They don't know how lucky they are.

I used Kerastas for a while and they are good and now I've ordered all the Phyto products for very dry hair. Any other caucasian out there with hair like mine. Don't you just hate it? What would anyone suggest for my type hair? Thanks
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 3:49pm
I suggest you start working with your hair rather than against it.

http://naturallycurly2.com/home/index.php

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
diddlydudette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diddlydudette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 5:17pm
Thanks for link.

Unfortunately I can't work with it is my problem. If I just use good conditioners on it and let it go, I will have a well conditioned frizz ball on top of my head. Nothing works so i'd rather just try and at least tone it down a tad and put the curling iron to it. I honestly think my hair is curlier/frizzier than anyone's. I've never in my whole life met anyone with my problem. I go to a good salon and people around in chairs look in awe at my curls and can't believe anyone could have hair as I do. Oh well I've lived this long with them. Maybe bald will come in style someday. :)
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 6:34pm
Do you brush it? Brushing tends to turn a truly curly head of hair into a frizz-ball.

What do you put on your hair to moisturize it between washes? Do you use jojoba to make it silkier and moist?

Have you been to the African-American board? Women there often talk about dry, frizzy hair and how they manage it.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
kdfats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdfats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 2:20pm
Hi there, I'm a caucasian women with the same problem.  I've been cursed (or as everyone else says, blessed) with curly hair.  I've hated my hair my whole life. Growing up was torture with a puff ball on your head.  No one else can relate to the emotional scars caused by hating your hair as a child. I too, would love to wake up and walk out the door and feel good about myself, but that never happens.  We're a slave to the weather channel to see what the humidity and dewpoint are to determine if it's going to be a bad hair day.  I've straightened my hair for most of my life with a blowdryer and iron.  There have been only a handfull of times I've worn my hair curly (and hated it still). I used to have layers but finally after 5-8 years of letting them grow out, most of it is now the same length (between shoulders and bra strap) (with the exception of the breakage in the front from pulling at it every day). I'm tempted to have layers again but it's much easier to control after straightening without them. I've also tried tons of products.  I'm always on the search for one that will keep my hair looking the same way it does when it's wet, but it shrinks like 4 inches when it dries.  I hate the way it looks. Do you have a favorite straightening iron that you use?  I use helen-of-troy from Sallys.  It's not ceramic but it heats up really fast.  Have you ever tried a ceramic iron? 
Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 3:34pm
try www.yanai.com
he has a step by step guide taht will really help. and for the last poster, i use helen of troy ceramic ceries from sally's. i used to use just the regular one, but that got too drying. the ceramic iron leaves my hair silky smooth, and makes it even straighter!
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)
kdfats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdfats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 7:42am
thanks for the reply.  Did you use the helen of troy "gold-n-hot" iron previously, the one with the dial setting?  Do you really like the ceramic iron that much more?  Also, I went to the yanai web site.  I'm looking for more advice on how to keep my hair straight once I've blown it out.  What products like hairspray and straightening lotions really work.  Are you caucasian with curly hair?  My hair is much curlier than most of the pics on the Yanai web site.  I wish the curls were that loose, i'd love my hair. 
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 8:23am

People with curly hair has this problem. First, curly hair do not need a brush. You should use a wide tooth comb or your fingers to get the tangles out. A good book for you to check is called Curly Girl. Lots of people use the curly girl method...Using a conditioner wash and a wide tooth comb or fingers. You have to work with your hair.  As an African American woman I have extremely tight curls I learned how to work with them instead of against ( trying to get them straight and sleek). I'm sure your hair is beautiful.

First, why use a curling iron if you have curls?

Use a diluted shampoo or moisturizing shampoo or us just conditioner.

Plop your hair, mean just squeeze the excess water and then put a top on it(no tangles and alot less frizz)...do not rub the towel into your hair (causes tangle and frizz)

Do not wash your hair towered onto your hair, hold your head back in the shower and let the water run through while detangling with your fingers.

Remember everyone has beautiful hair, no one's hair is worse than yours and there are lots of people with curls, big or small, kinks and coils, which ever one you wish to call them.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 2:25pm

Have you ever tried the Ouidad System Cut?  It's for curly hair, and costs $125.00, but you're head will look awesome.  To find salons that do the cut go to:  www.ouidad.com.

I can totally understand what you're talking about.  I don't have kinky curly hair, but hair with waves and curls.  No matter how I get my hair cut or styled, as soon as I get hot, it bounces back into curl/frizz H*LL.

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
ltp27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ltp27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2005 at 5:53pm

it sounds as if i have found my hair's doppelganger.  And I spent most of my life hating my hair, but at long last I have learned to love it.  The first thing that I learned that help me do this is that, it doesn't always have to do with product (although it helps), it's how you handle your hair.

1. if you can get marc anthony's curl revitaliser it's a conditioner you use after you condion and it's a godsend!

2. before you put your conditioner in gently squeeze out all excess water, i don't know why but it makes my hair fell softer after.

3. never, EVER brush your hair when it's wet, if your hair gets really tangled like mine, brush before you go in the shower.

4. try to only wash your hair every couple of days, i find my hair goes the distance if i put my hair in a high ponytail with a scrunchie when i go to bed (that way you avoid it being frizzy the next day)

5. before you turn off the water to get out of the shower (this has been the greatest trick of all even if you ignor all my other tips DO THIS ONE!) flip your head up side down a couple of times to seperate the curls and then run water over them.  then flip your hair back up with a towel on your shoulders.  don't towel dry it and DO NOT wrap it up in one of those towel turbans. after you have done all that use some of john frieda's frizz ease serum when your hair still soaked and let your hair air dry a little bit if you're really pressed for time lightly pat it dry with a towel

i then put in marc anthony's curl lotion thorugh my hair both upside down and rightside up and then use his mousse and scrunch this into my hair until the curls look flawless wet

6. use a diffuser when you blow dry and don't ignor the cool shot when you're done

when i'm done i use marc anthony's frizz sealing cream and if it's rainy or humid out i use a flexible hairspray.

if you do what i do you will learn to love your curls because people will come up to you on the street and compliment your curls

kelliegirl66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelliegirl66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 1:59pm

Here is a hug for all you curly girls out there!!!  I feel your pain.  I, too, am a woman cursed with these curly locks that every straight haired woman envys.  You must be a girl/woman with very curly hair to understand where we are coming from.  I have always prayed god wouldn't pass this curse onto my children. . .unfortunately my 2 year old little boy has inherrited them My two sons below, Noah on the left with straight hair and Tyler with the curls.  The back of his head is so frizzy,  I've never seen such frizz before and he doesn't have a lot of length to work with in the back.  Still, I am now able to condition, use a little Frizz Ease and gel and his curls look defined and adorable.  After he naps, he is all frizzed up again though.

Sorry this pic is so big:(

I go through periods where I straighten it a lot and then I grow it out enough to let it go and just pull it back.  Unfortunately right now I can't pull it back easily because I had it cut a little shorter in March.  I want to get the Japanese Straightening done but I don't have the Hundreds $$$$ of dollars to get it done.  Since it does take so long to grow I am going to put extensions in.  The hair extensions forum here is awesome if you want to learn to do it yourself.

I have tried working with my hair, I've worked against it too.  My childhood was awful as my mother always cut my hair super short, the 70's pixie style but I was horrified if it rained, couldn't feel comfortable going swimming because of my hair drying 'on it's own afterwards'.  It has been a lifelong struggle and I suppose it will continue to be.  I just wanted to add my feelings here to those of you that understand:)

Kelly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelliegirl66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 2:01pm

I guess the last one didn't work!!  Here's the boys in a little pic

Kelly

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelliegirl66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 2:02pm
I give up
Kelly
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 4:12pm
Like i said, curly girl book. Curly hair is not a curse.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic