Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RELAXER DISASTER!!! TELL YOUR STORIES HERE!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
calleblazinmami View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calleblazinmami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RELAXER DISASTER!!! TELL YOUR STORIES HERE!
    Posted: July 19 2002 at 1:26pm
Now this is a true nightmare peoplez! My mom had always used to perm my hair when i was little, so I kind of always got used to her doing it. Well, when I was 17 (last year), I decided to start doing my own. Motions hair relaxer was what worked best on my hair- but unfortunately I didnt get all the spots in my head. So I asked a girlfriend from school if it was okay for me to just perm the spots I missed, even though this girl was no hair dresser! As a matter of fact her hair was extremely damaged but at the time I wasnt thinking. So I went to Walmart and bought a 5.00 home perm kit and re-permed my hair way too soon. My hair didnt break off immediately but within the next 4 days with every brush or comb I put through my hair- out came long strands of my hair. I`d run my hands through my hair and feel the extra fine and delacate pieces slowly breaking off. The sink was full of hair- as was the floor, toilet, and even my pillows. I wasnt losing hair from my scalp, but eventually my hair was uneven and I had to resort to getting a mushroom- type hair cut. Actually the cut did wonders for my hair because it`s grown back in a beautiful texture and it`s much more thicker and plus its in layers so if my hair decides to break again then it`ll just look like the style LOL! But as far as perms go- I learned not to do them so often and to get it right the first time. But if you`re in doubt- please see a stylist! And also- stay away from those bargain relaxers!
"I love My Antonio Delacruz!.
Muuuahhhh"
Dragooney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dragooney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2002 at 5:48pm
lol, my mom had the same problem with her hair!
she was going to this hair dresser who perms her hair every once in a while. one day she over process her hair too long and kinda left the perm in her hair, and then after that she started to lose ALOT OF HER HAIR! she went crazy. always looking at her hair, she says "oh my god my hair"!
At the end she found out she had a fungus that she pick up from the hair salon. she got some treatment that cure it too. then my hair started to fall out, i didn`t know what it was, i cried!
because i had long hair that was a very good grade of hair. 3 months later, i just didn`t know what was going on. i had gotten a bald spot and my mom came up to me and said "it a fungus"
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL OF THIS TIME I GOTTEN HER NASTY FUNGUS THAT ALMOST DESTORY MY LOVELY HAIR! i am now on the treatment that i`m am using, and i hope it get better

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our life.
eastindiangurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eastindiangurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2004 at 4:39pm
okay, i dont think im gonna perm my hair anymore thanks to this story
Taking long hair to a whole new level
GlitterGlam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlitterGlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 9:46pm
i went to a new hair stylist and he over permed my hair.
which lead to reallly bad breakage.
a whooole lot of deep conditioned later im doing alright.
i learned from that by when someone new asks you want kind of perm you have you should know. and when you hear "well... i dont have that but i have something new..." have the person do it on your sister first. than try it the next time for perming if she came out alright!
like whoa.
ChristinaRose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristinaRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2004 at 11:13pm
Growing up as a black/cherokee kid, my mom also had no clue as to how to style my hair. I had very thick and long curly/ kinky hair that had a tendency to fizz up when it wasn't styled correctly. So, one day my mom decided to relax my hair without reading the instructions correctly. She washed my hair before putting on the application, which was a big mistake. So, as I'm sitting there trying to tell her she wasn't suppose to wash my hair then put on the relaxer, she applied it anyway, and I was sitting there with this chemical burning the hell out of my scalp, while she left it on longer than it was suppose to be. And then she finally washed it out, and dried my hair, only to get more angry when she realized that my hair was still curly, and didnt even straighen at all.
So, now as an adult, I always style my own hair, and I stay away from relaxers, and made friends with my blowdryer, which actually straightens my hair better.
Adrienne View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrienne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2004 at 8:43pm

Oh my gosh for the past 10 years my hair has been a disasater!!

my mom has really fine hair and i have really thick hair so when i was like 10 my mother was in the kitchen with her hot comb pressing my hair and i hated every moment of the forehead ear burning experence and so i was screaming and fighting her and she was like do you want me to cut it all off!!
so me being 10 said YES JUST STOP IT and then we went to this very tall gay man named fred who chopped my long thick dark hair very short and it still hasent came back, but slowly but surely i have been reading more books on african american hair growth and styling and so i think i am making progress and hopefully i wont have a disaster for year 11!!!!!!!!!!!!
caprice rose View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caprice rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2004 at 12:30pm
i had my sister apply my relaxer because i had done an uneven relaxer where i missed some spots too. my hair didn't fall out , it was strong to begin with , and thick but, she gave me an uneven relaxer too. So now, every weekend i have been washing with motions lavish shampoo which is really a conditioner with shampoo in it, and treating it with motions cpr protien reconstructor. i wash my hair with big loose braids in it , i apply conditioner and then loosely rebraid it , leave it on for an hour with a plastic cap and a towel wrapped around it for heat, then i release the braids, detangle with my fingers then comb it and then loosely braid it back and rinse with cool water, this seals the cuticle of the hair to protect it and keep moisture in. after that i squeeze it dry, no towel drying, then release the braids i put oil in it and let it air dry after that i will apply some bone strait blow drying lotion, blow it straight and style in an french roll or some style were my hair is not on my clothes so that the hair and ends won't get dried out. or sometimes i just rebraid it tigher and let it dry and release the braids and wear it wavy, even though my hair is wavy after it is washed, like i said, my relaxer didn't take well, but it did loosen my wave pattern making it a little more managable. my hair has been getting stronger and longer(mid back). but don't forget to get your ends trimmed, by a professional and let them do the relexer next time.
glossyxlipz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glossyxlipz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2004 at 6:15pm
AHH this one dresser left the relaxer too long on my scalp and I was burning! After I left the salon i noticed my scalp was painful and some fluid was oozing from it. ANyway i figured it will go away hopefully. That night i woke up and i my hair was all matted to my scalp cuz of the scabs from the burn! I never went to that stylist again.
http://public.fotki.com/glossyxlipz/

me and my hair obsession....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic