Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hairstyles for Fine Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hairstyles for Fine Hair
    Posted: April 03 2003 at 11:40am
What hairstyles have you found that work best with fine, thin hair? I have tried almost everything except for very long hair and the only thing that works for me is a blunt bob, no longer than just above shoulder length and no shorter than just below the chin. I am highly frustrated with this since it does get boring. Has anyone found something that is easy to care for that isn't a bob?
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 5:55pm
A wedge and varitions, seem to work well.
And a great Highlight..excellet texture.

There are multitudes of thickening and texturizing products that work amazingly well...but finding the absolute right one for you, hair is key.
bluebee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2003 at 1:15am
The bob is what I've had for years too. About that length too. Too long, it drags me down, too short, I feel like a pinhead. ;)

I've been getting mine cut shorter in the back, tapering just a little to the front, and layering all over, then I can either curl it under or over, but all the layers gives me a little more body.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2003 at 9:59am
I have had very bad luck with layers. They just kind of hang there and make my hair look thinner. I have tried just about every hairstyle imaginable but only one length blunt seems to work for me. I am growing out some layers now so I have sort of a short inverted bob. I can't find any hairdressers who think a wedge will work for me although I think I had one back in the 70's that worked pretty well.

Part of my problem is the climate. I lived in California when I had the wedge so humidity wasn't a problem. Most recently I have been in Houston, Atlanta, and now south Florida. Humidity is a way of life so I have to have a hairstyle that will handle it. Unfortunately, my hair doesn't puff up in humidity (don't I wish), just the opposite. It looks lank, limp and greasy.

"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2003 at 4:09pm
I have always had baby fine hair. But years ago my hair was thicker and I could wear it long and wavy. I even had the sides and bangs cut to soften the style and frame my face. I could wear it up and still have the wispy curls around my face.

But alas the years have pass and left my hair much thinner. My braids are half the thickness, just a reminder to myself to be greatful for the hair that I do have and baby it!

I want to grow it out long once more, but just this month I cut it to my collar bone and what a difference. Time will tell if it can grow out and look so healthy as it does now. Right now it is full and beautiful, I really like my hair, just wish it was longer. I personally like long hair on me and think the short hair is not "me."

Layers did not work for me a couple of years ago. Too thin. Short, short styles are out of the question for me, too boyish. I hate bobs, which is what I have but it seems to have been what my hair needed, a good chopping.

I personally think long hair is best. I have seen thin, fine hair that is very long and it looks beautiful. And I have seen thin staggly hair too. So I guess it just what works for the individual.
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
vintagepoison049 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vintagepoison049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 11:21pm
I have very thin, limp, and bodyless hair. To find hairstyles for events such as prom, homecomings, and everyday wear, is VERY difficult. For something funky and trendy I will braid my hair at night after my shower and it gives it life and soooo much more!, it works for any length hair and if you cant get to the roots then take a waver/crimper(w/e you have) and style the roots, then use a weightless gel or hairspray and scrunch! you can make it look curly, wavy w/e you like! hope that helps. If any one has any advice for my type of hair please e-mail me
agatha View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agatha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2004 at 5:50am
I have very thin hair which is straight at the crown, top, and roots, but will wave after about 3" in length. It's terrible to deal with longer hair, I have to blow dry and put all sorts of crap in it and never sweat or get caught in the rain.

I have found that, aside from dread extensions, the best cuts for me are short pixie cuts with tapered bangs and long pieces of hair in front of my ears.. and severe a-line cuts which keep the back very short but the front chin length. The latter, however, puts me back into styling mode, so I don't tend to keep it for long.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2004 at 8:49pm
I have babyfine hair which is of medium thickness and straight. You need to learn to work with your hair the way it is, it can never be coarse or wiry or wavy or curly.

I have grown my hair long, because that's the only style that works with fine straight hair. The more chemicals you put in, the more damage you do, but still your hair will never be like the models in the photos for more than a few minutes.

Condition your hair well, take care of it, and it will become classically beautiful.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2004 at 12:21am
Hey eKatherine,

Just thought I'd say hi : P Glad to see you're on the board!

Anais
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2004 at 1:54am
Long hair is the devil for fine, thin hair, though; the weight of it pulls the hair flat against the head, and the thinness of it makes the ends look scraggly.
Bleh, I have such a problem with my hair lately, that even if I just try to make it grow a couple of inches, to be able to put more types of accessories in and have them stay well, it starts to look thinner and flatter :-( . I really need to figure out what's making my hair like this and how to make it stop.
More awesome than a manatee!
Dawna View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 10:00pm
What I need are pictures of hairstyles of fine hair. I've got a round face and extra weight so I need examples of how women with my shape style their hair.

Thank syou.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic