Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

messy hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rafikz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafikz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: messy hair?
    Posted: August 26 2003 at 1:22pm
I have fine hair...what is the best product for achieving the short bedhead look? gel, wax, pomade, fiber-based products? brands? please help me
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 7:35pm
Well, I hate to tell you this but I don't think that is a look that will ever work on fine hair. I have tried everything, believe me, and the best we can hope for is something very sleek and shiny. It is the least amount of trouble and something that our hair does very well (unless you are also curly).

The problem is that all those products that are required to make the bedhead look work just weigh fine hair down and make is greasy, limp, and flat which is just the opposite of what you are trying to achieve. Gel, pommade, wax... all that stuff is very bad for fine hair. Those cute textured looks generally weren't invented for fine hair. I have found that bobs (short, long, or inbetween) work best for me in terms of a style that will look good and hold its shape all day. Boring I know but honestly that is what will look the best. Blunt cuts or light layers toward the bottom of the cut look best.

That said, I guess you could maybe lightly tease and spray your way into a bedhead look but you really can't use wax, gel or pommade. A good strong hairspray like Vavoom or that Paul Mitchell freezing spray might work. But be careful because they can dry your hair out.

Good luck. This is a difficult hair type to work with.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2003 at 2:42am
I haven't been using much of styling products since I cut my hair. *shrugs* Lately I basically just put Infusium 23 leave-in on it after washing, and that seems to stiffen it up just a little. Then if I want it to have more texture I just kind of bop the hair around a bit while it's still damp, or sometimes shaking my head about violently works better *laughs* and that makes it look a bit more textured and tousled. A little hairspray, and it doesn't look too bad, or fall too straight and flat, so long as I don't sweat on it too much. I haven't been using gel anymore except for spot control on those little crown pieces that some days wanna stand up no matter what I do :-P . Lately it seems like the more product I put in, the more my hair looks flat and bad, so I'm better off going easy.
Some days, if the cowlicks aren't misbehaving, I can get away without putting anything at all on it, and it's actually fairly fluffy (for super-fine hair, anyway) then. My current hair is like two inches, and it's much less flat when it's shorter and more layered than it is when one-length, but I know not everyone is like that. *shrugs* Just do whatever length makes your hair look better, and be careful with the heavy products, and it should be fine. Er, pun not intended :-P .
rafikz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rafikz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2003 at 12:29pm
thanks for ur advices guys

Go check this page :
http://www.supercuts.com/products_hair.cfm

at the bottom of it, u can determine what hair products work for ur hair type (products suggestions and brands)
Maybe I should try light spray gels..I remember when I got my hair cut 3 weeks ago, and the guy made my hair super spiky with Ice Spiker, a glue like Radical from l Oreal...usually, a short hairdo requires a quarter-sized amount of this product, since it's a glue, but the guy used a full hand of it!!! nothing, nothing could have changed my hairdo that day, but I was afraid the glue could damage my hair...
anyway, check the website.
Kyredhead View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2004 at 10:14pm
Hi, I have very short, baby fine hair and I wear it spiked. I really like the messy look. I get it by first using a volumizing mouse and blow drying my hair while hanging my head upside down, then I use a spiking gel, I am fond of the Mary Kate & Ashley brand, but others seem to work well. I use about a quarter size amount and then just use my fingers to mess my hair up. I then use a spray on extra hold hairspray. I hold up pieces of hair and spray and then hold a few seconds for them to dry. It takes some work but you can spike it. My hairdresser was very surprised I got my hair to look messy because of the fine texture. It just takes a little experimenting to find the right products to do the job.
RubyVroom View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RubyVroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 3:52pm
latecomer to the board, but wanted to put in my $.02 on this... I've got fairly short, babyfine hair, but a rather LOT of it, which helps with a style of this sort. Have found that a thickener (Bumble & Bumble makes a great one) or some other sort of texturizer, then a small amount of pomade (again, I like B&B-sumowax) to make it piece-y works well. Redken makes this stuff called 'Rough Paste' that is keen too, although it's more of a matte finish. I realize it's a pretty product-intensive style, but when paired with a good cut (also texturized), doesn't necessarily have to damage your hair. =)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic