Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My hair needs your help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
builder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My hair needs your help!
    Posted: November 07 2003 at 4:33am
I''m a 21 year old male with straight, brown hair. The problem is my hair is very tough to manage when it starts getting a little long (just a few inches). After taking a shower I can run my fingers through the hair easily, but it looks very dry and is totally unmanageable. When I wet it it seems to thicken up and i can put it into place better, but of course it just dries up again. I use gel and hairspray to get it to stay in place and not be so light, but it just makes the hair look hard and stiff. My hair actually looks best when it''s dirty from having had gel in it and having been slept in. That really stinks because my hair looks best right before I need to shower! Right now I just use regular shampoo and conditioner, usually every other day. I''m basically trying to get my hair to look thicker, so it doesn''t move around too much when put into place. When dry it looks very light, if i try to put it up it would just fall back instantly. I don''t want it to be stiff and hard like when you use gel though. I guess I almost want it to be greasy, so that it''s not stiff but will stay in place. Not sure how I should begin or what products I might need. Thanks.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2003 at 8:37am
Builder, you don't say if your hair is fine but since you are on the fine hair board I assume it is. You may be using too much product. On fine hair that is a bad thing. You may also not have the right kind of cut for your hair type. I would suggest consulting a stylist at a good salon in your area for advise on hairstyle and products that will work for your hair.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2003 at 1:30am
My hair gets dry and hard to deal with the longer it gets, too. A lot of it is natural, but part of it is also what's used on it. I can't use the same shampoo if it gets longer that I use when it's short. I tend to go for more thickening/volume shampoos when it's short, but have to use intense/moisture formulas if it's longer to keep it from going too crispy. You might have to experiment with different shampoos to find what works best for you.
You probably are using too much product in it. I do that all the time, myself :-P . You want it to be in control, so you use all kinds of stuff on it, but then it's all clumpy and crusty. I think moderation is the key, but that's something I need to learn some days, too.

Originally posted by builder builder wrote:

I''m a 21 year old male with straight, brown hair. The problem is my hair is very tough to manage when it starts getting a little long (just a few inches). After taking a shower I can run my fingers through the hair easily, but it looks very dry and is totally unmanageable. When I wet it it seems to thicken up and i can put it into place better, but of course it just dries up again. I use gel and hairspray to get it to stay in place and not be so light, but it just makes the hair look hard and stiff. My hair actually looks best when it''s dirty from having had gel in it and having been slept in. That really stinks because my hair looks best right before I need to shower! Right now I just use regular shampoo and conditioner, usually every other day. I''m basically trying to get my hair to look thicker, so it doesn''t move around too much when put into place. When dry it looks very light, if i try to put it up it would just fall back instantly. I don''t want it to be stiff and hard like when you use gel though. I guess I almost want it to be greasy, so that it''s not stiff but will stay in place. Not sure how I should begin or what products I might need. Thanks.
More awesome than a manatee!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic