Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I give up forcing it to be something its not!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Brittster View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brittster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I give up forcing it to be something its not!
    Posted: April 29 2004 at 8:15pm
I have short, fine, straight, fly-away hair. For the past while I've tried wearing it short and fluffish, which obviously is not going to work well for someone with ultra fine hair. I need to use light gel to make it fluff at all, and it generally wilts in an hour or so. I can't walk outside the house without gelling and blowdrying my hair because it just falls flat to my head and looks awful with my current cut and face shape, which is square.

I want to embrace my fine hair instead of fight it all my life and attempt to maintain a style thats flat every time I look, but I'm not sure what style I should get it cut as next time. Right now the front layers are generally chin length with the hair in back touching down to my neck and flipping out a bit. I don't know if what I need is a different cut and style, but I do know that I've scoured the net for one and only found the current one I have, which just isn't working out.

I had my hair long for years and would love to grow it out, but I don't think that that's an option. My hair was extremely silky and shimmery when it was longer (and I wasn't in need of damn hair care products all the time), but as you can see if you follow the link, it was scraggly and doesn't fit my face.

http://img39.photobucket.com/albums/v120/brittanyr/Britt6.jpg

So what to do? I want a style that coincides with my hair type and face shape and makes my fine hair pretty instead of a burden. I would appreciate any advice and I'll try to get a current picture of me up so I can show you how bad it looks now when its flat..

Thanks for any help,
Britt
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2004 at 10:25am
Actually, I think it looks very pretty in the picture. But, I have found that I have to go either utlra short or all one length blunt between chin and neck (the closer to the chin the better). Right now mine is real short on top so I can sort of spike it and longer in the front (below the brow bangs) with a back long enough not to have to shave my neck. I do use hairspray and some mousse but it only takes about five minutes to style and I am very happy with it. Go to a hairdresser you trust and see what your options might be. I had to commit to my hairdresser and we tried several haircuts before finding this one. It took some courage on my part to go this short but I am really happy for the first time in many years. I don't think too much about my hair anymore which is nice.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
MSBASCO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSBASCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 2:13am
OH!! I think your hair is pretty! Maybe you could try some thickening products if it would make you happier but I do think it''s pretty.
LIttleCabbage View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LIttleCabbage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2004 at 2:19pm
I, too, feel your pain with the horrors of thin hair. Your hair may be thin, but it definately has body, and you seem to have a lot of it- you lucked out! My hair is both thin and fine. I have spent a lot of time playing around with my hair and trying to find a style that works. The hair rules i've been told: keep it all one length, part it right in the middle (bcs. i have an oval-shaped face), put in a body wave or a perm... i've tried it all. None of it worked. Finally, i did all the things people told me NOT to do. I got drastic layers (the shortest is up by my chin and the longest is midway down my back), i part it one inch off center (oval-shaped faces supposedly shouldn't do that), and i use a volumizing shampoo. I got rid of all the colors and perm chemicals, and you know what? I've never been happier with my hair! The moral of this story: don't follow all the general fashion rules, find a hairdresser you can say the word "drastic" to and not regret it, and don't be afraid to experiment. It's just hair, it'll grow out! (Just avoid cameras until it does!)
Janet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2004 at 6:10pm
I am in my 50's now and have had fine hair all my life. Now I am dealing with fine thinner hair. Your hair looks good long ( as mine did when I was younger.) just get hair cuts that you like after while you will find one that you like the most. It is the good hair dressers that are hard to hold on to!!
Kateyez37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kateyez37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 6:30pm
You're hair IS really pretty! I was expecting to see something different from the way you described it. I don't know what your hair looks like now, but it can be worn long and look very good.

There are some volumizing product that you could use if you feel you need more thickening. You could even use a semi-permanent hair color that can actually be 'good' for your hair and add some dimension and light, plus body and thickness, and you don't have to use products every day, just touch up every 6-9 weeks (or however long it says to do so). This is entirely up to you, but I like long hair, and I think you look good with it. I also tend to like color, but wouldn't compromise the health of your hair if you don't want to. I've used some of the over the counter semi-permanent hair colors and my hair ended up being thicker, shinier and seemingly more healthy than before.

Kris :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic