Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I really, really, hate my hair. You?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 11:19am
That is something I haven't heard of.  Where do you get it?
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:34pm

Hey there Demodoll, MSM can be bought from nutrition stores such as GNC, or from websites like Puritanspride.com. In fact, Puritan's is having a HUGE sale of vitamins until May.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:35pm
Is it a vitamin?
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 10:19pm

It's an organic sulfur compound that is found in all raw vegetables (and fruits? not sure there). MSM is destroyed when the food is cooked. MSM is supposed to prolong the growth cycle of the hair, reducing shedding. This isn't one of those snake oil remedies either in my opinion. Over on other hair boards, people have had great results and success with MSM. I'm waiting for my mail order catalog to arrive from Puritans, to try MSM for the first time. I'm probably the last of my longhaired friends to jump in on it too ; P

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 1:05am

I haven't tried that, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to look into it.  I've tried most everything else at one time.  I'll have to try to find it by itself, though, as so far I've only ever seen it with like glucosamine or something in it.  Might have to look in health stores. . . and just hope it's not too expensive, or I'l gonna be SOL :-P . . .

More awesome than a manatee!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 7:03am
I think I'll try it too.  I too have tried everything else but hey, what can it hurt.  I could use the glucosamine too (creaky joints and all that).  How do you find it on the internet.  Just do a search on MSM?  I'll let you know what I find out and if it works.
Lorryann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorryann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2005 at 9:05pm

Hi

Just found this site...

I have the world's worst baby-fine hair, too. Full of cowlicks,and just enough wave to drive me crazy.  Even worse, one side of my head has twicew the thickness of the other side--AND goes in a totally opposite direction.  Translation--can't do a part in the middle.

I take great vitamins, so I don't lack shine, and it grows quickly to lessen the horror of "bad" haircuts.

The other day, after 5 straight "bad hair" days, I told my stylist to "do whatever you want"  Translation--short, choppy, hair.  Which looks great on paper, but try to style it the day after it's cut--AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!

So I returned to the salon, where my stylist toild me she would "tweak" my style free of charge--which she does for those of us who go from long to short.  She's terrific!  But she was horrified at what my hair looked like--since it looked so fab when I left the salon the salon 2 days earlier.  Of course, SHE spent an hour styling it.

This process repeated 2 more times.  I now have a super-short pixie with ultra shorts bangs and the back shaved up to my ears.  I never would have dreamed of going this short, but at least I proved to my stylist that "long layers" or "choppy haircuts with different lengths" don't work with my hair.  Even with hair this short, I still need a heavy gel to get it styled in a way that's presentable.  Thankfully, the man in my life likes short hair--because his hair is longer than mine.!

Yes, fine hair sucks--so I just cut mine off.  I'm now on a diet to see if I dare togo shorter--maybe a long buzz cut--we'll see.

goddess_mels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goddess_mels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 12:14am
Hi! I'm new here and this thread caught my eye right away.

Girls...fine hair, and hair that is a little "unruly", is BEAUTIFUL. It is very, very unique. What could be more romantic or saucy than hair that just won't be tamed? Wisps that brush your face when you turn your head, like faerie hair? Our hair is like us...it does its own thing and it won't be tamed into anyone else's ideal.

I have hated my hair for 37 years but for the beginning of my 38th I have vowed to love my hair (and everything about myself). I used to hate the fact that my hair will do literally whatever it wants, whenever it wants, even if I follow "instructions" to the letter. Now I think it's fun to have a different look every day. Also, having wisps that just won't lie down politely (LOL) has forced me to enter the World of Buying Hair Thingies...and that is FUN FUN FUN...a tiny clip here, a tiny clip there, and it looks like I TRIED to make it look messy.

I had it blunt for years and I also colored it, but the color is all out now (that took three solid years) and I just got a long-layered modified "shag". At first I thought, "I don't look like the picture I showed the hairstylist...darn it!" but two days later I'm thinking, "I don't look like the picture I showed the hairstylist...yay!"

I would place money that all the people who responded here look a thousand times better than they think they do. We are always hard on ourselves; that's human nature. Love your fine hair. :) Remember...faerie wisps, faerie wisps, faerie wisps. (Chant it with me...)

So anyway, nice to meet you all...
Mels
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 8:36am

I have to respond first to Lorryann.  I feel your pain honey.  I too just cut most of my already short hair off into what was supposed to be a short, sexy, spikey cut.  It was all that when I left the salon but what a mess the next day!  I went back three times and even went to a new stylist and after a month and a new cut I like it a little better.  I got a lot of wonderful advise from the short hair board folks but I think I may have to grow this mess back out.  I hate being dependent on so many products and my hair feels like straw.  And windy, humid days (of which there are a lot where I live) send me into a panic.  I hate the thought of the blunt bob but it sure was easy.

Now Goddess, you surely do have a marvelous attitude.  I was thinking of growing out all my color too.  It is so expensive and time consuming to maintain.  And with hair this short why not?  My husband has never done a darn thing to his hair and he looks great.  Why not me?  I don't know that I'll have the courage though.  I am always searching for the perfect style--easy to maintain and fabulous looking.  I think most of us with fine hair, especially if it is very thin, were taught early on that our hair was lacking somehow.  I remember mine being referred to in hushed tones by various relatives as "pitiful."  So no matter what has happened in the 45 years since, I still feel like I have pitiful hair.  I think you are right though.  Most of us probably look much better than we think we do.  If you spend this much time worrying about your hair you are probably caring for it pretty well.

Welcome to the boards.  We are happy to have you here.  This is a really wonderful community.

Edited by demodoll
goddess_mels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goddess_mels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 10:52am

Thank you for the welcome, DemoDoll!

Yes, I got the same thing when I was younger. My mother was constantly telling me if I wanted to keep "that" long (meaning below my ears) I would "have to" have a perm. Otherwise it would "just lie there". Hello, Mom, what was it supposed to do? Jump up and start dancing? Like you, it became ingrained that I "just couldn't" do certain things with my hair. Now I'm like, Why not? What on earth do I have to lose?

You can surely try growing out your hair if you want. You can even try being quirky and sticking a bunch of tiny clips in it and letting it just go wild under that. (That's usually my M.O.!  ) But of course you don't have to. My goodness, there's so little in this life we have control over; making decisions for one's hair seems like such a little thing to ask. As for growing out the color, I'm so glad I did it. I haven't felt healthy hair on my head since the early 1980s. Can I ask what color your hair is naturally? Mine's mousy so I'm just trying to get out in the sun more and see if I can coax some highlights.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

Mels
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 11:11am
My hair is naturally a color mostly referred to as "mousy brown."  I am nearly 50 so I am sure it has some gray in it too.  I wish it was all gray.  Then I would certainly grow it out but I think it is still mostly mousy brown.  But who would know at this point.  I have been coloring it since 1976.
Lorryann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorryann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 8:02pm

Hi Demodoll(and everyone else),

Thanks for your support.  But  all is not a disaster here.

I actually LOVE my new haircut, which is now even shorter than before.  My stylist left the bangs & front a bit longer because I was apprehensive, but now it's all cut super-short. My bangs are cut to the top of my forehead & the rest of my hair has been buzzed to 3/4 inch length.  So great for the summer months!!

This style is not for everyone, but for me, with my awful hair (which looks God-awful when its unruly, I'm glad I finally had the guts to cut it off and ignore the trends towards long hair).I actually hear that the trend is going more towards really short hair--so this is great!!!

Peace to all

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2005 at 9:14am

I hope the trends are going really short!  Things have been really long for several years now so it is time for the pendulum to swing back. 

So fine hair does better really short huh?  Mine is about 2" long all over with longer bangs and I am having an awful time styling it--it actually takes longer than before when it was about 4" all over.  I don't know how it would do if it were shorter--I am afraid to try.  Do you have any pictures of yours that you could post?

Dawna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 10:10am
MSM products?  Never heard of them?

I'm thinking of Rogaine for women.  My hairstylist keeps mentioning it.  I'm only 36 but you can see the top of my scalp depending on how the hair falls.  If I was a blonde it wouldn't be such a big deal.  Maybe I should spraypaint my scalp a brownish colour. 

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 11:04am
I am taking the capsules now.  I have been taking them for six weeks.  I don't see any difference so far.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 4:08am

I used Rogaine (or a generic of, anyway) for eight months, by my hair only got thinner while using it :-( .  So either my problem isn't genetic thinning, or I'm one of the people it just doesn't work for :-( .  Although I have heard that you really have to use the 5% minoxidil if you want it to do anything. . . and they only market that towards the men :-P . . .  I've wondered if it would hurt anything if I used the men's extra-strength, but I've been reluctant to try, after the women's kind did nothing to help.

More awesome than a manatee!
Dawna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 9:48pm
yeah, the thought of taking medicine (which truely hasn't been around long enough to know the long-term effects of) scares me.  I have tried a topical solution from the Health Food Store but alas, no difference.

My hair dresser bought me some shampoo & conditioner (Nioxin) which she said worked on her balding boyfriend.  I have been noticing it for a few months and didn't notice a difference.  However, she said the way to check is to go up close to the mirror, part your hair anywhere and you'll see a bunch of hairs that are only an inch or two long (depending how long you've been using it).  I did see a bunch of new growth so was pretty excited.  But is this new growth always there or is it a direct result of this product?
eashworth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2005 at 8:45pm
Lately, I've become more frustrated with my hair.  It is thick, but very fine and long.  I can't do much with it.  I have no idea what style would work for my type of hair, so I don't style it.  I just wash it and let it hang!  I'm bored with it and nothing seems to work.  It won't even hold when I tried to clip it up like I see a lot of girls doing. 
xxpinkgalzxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxpinkgalzxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 3:00am

I absolutely HATE my hair. In summer, my hair is a combination of oily roots and flyaway ends, and it frizzes like mad. They almost floats aimlessly around my head, in all different dirrections. Ok, then i used shampoos which smoothens hair and tames frizz, they did what they promised, however, they weigh my baby fine hair down. My hair just sticks flat to my head and looks limp. I have thought about using a volumizing shampoo but I'm afraid that it doesn't control my frizz. Not to mention that my hair is extra thin...and it is actually THINNING. 30 strands fall out a time i comb through my hair, and I've a really bad scalp. In summer it is oily and itchy, in winter, it is dry but still itchy. I've spend tons of money trying out different hair care products, but none of them really helps, some even make the situation worse.

Simply saying, my hair is fine thin and limp thinning frizzy flyaway hair with oily scalp coated with dandruff. Also...just forgot to mention that my hair grows sooooooooo slowwwwwwwwwwlyyyyyyy.

Six months ago I had my haircut, there isn't any great difference in the length of my hair now...wtf...

What can I do?!?!?!

I found myself today...
xxpinkgalzxx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxpinkgalzxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 3:05am
I don't want to cut my fine hair short. I LOVE long curly hair styles and is actually planning to perm it. I think a perm will add some volume to my hair, but I'm worried that my ends will go all messy after being curly....
I found myself today...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic