Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Amelia89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amelia89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair problem
    Posted: January 03 2005 at 8:11am
Hi! I have very thin hair that its medium length at the moment. The problem is that my hair is very flat at the moment in one length. I had problems styling my hair is this morning. I have had it cut in a short bob for the past few years. I love short hair but my hair grows about 1 to 2 inches in 6 weeks which is really annoying. I am wondering whether I should have it cut like Kiera Knightley as have simliar features to her except that I have a small forehead. Any advice would be appreciated
AC
UP Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 2:22pm
If mine grew that fast, I sure wouldn't be annoyed! I've always wished for faster-growing hair.
Lisa
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 8:17am
Hi Amelia!

I guess you could call yourself lucky if your hair grows that quick. Unless you hate going t the hairdresser ... in which cas I'd recommend a long hairstyle. When you put it up you could add some false hair (eg in your ponytail) to give it a bit more body. If you don't like the hair flat on your head, you can conceal it by addiing some wax - then it's not that obvious it's so flat due to fine hair.
The pictures I found on Yahoo all show Kiera Knightley with long hair with some curls. Could be an option too, but stay away from perms - very, very tricky on fine hair and they damage it. This means you'd have to use curlers and products a lot of the time = a lot of time spent. Since I don't know your lifestyle, I can't advice if you'd enjoy it.

When you like going to the hairdresser, enjoy a regular cut. You could ask to slice your hair to give it more volume. It will scare you when it is done: the scissors start within an inch of your head, but this technique can add volume and remove twists a bit. This way, less can be more fun and less hassles.
Amelia89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amelia89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 12:50pm
Thanks for your help. I don't hate going to the hairdressers just that my hairdresser advised me going every 5 or 6 weeks as it grows very fast. I have asked the hairdresser to advise me when I go in on Friday. I have a small head and a lot of volume does not help me! I have not had a short crop before or anything. I'll see what happens and let you know but I still want advice!
AC
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 1:24pm
Can you post a picture?
Amelia89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amelia89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 3:51pm
Thanks for asking me to insert a picture - I would not know how to. I have a picture on file but I cannot transfer it to you via this method.

My lifestyle is basically casual - I just need to be presentable not really smart. I do voluntary work outside work. I am in my mid 30s. I am 5' 3'' with mousey brown hair (no grey) and dark blue eyes. I wear glasses. I have very fine hair sometimes it is brittle and flat. My face shape is oval with a very small chin and a forehead. I have delicate features and small shoulders. I cut my long hair off a few years ago as it was heavy on my shoulders.

Hope that it describes me sorry about the picture and thanks for your help.

AC
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 5:30am
Maybe you could get some kinda unkempt style that, as it grows out a little, still looks like you meant to have it that way?
More awesome than a manatee!
Amelia89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amelia89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 3:59pm
Thanks for your suggestion! I had to defer my appointment to Saturday due to work commitments.
The hairdresser did not mind me changing my appointment. I'll still let you know what happens.
AC
HD_EU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD_EU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2005 at 6:56am
Hi Amelia!

So you're one of the fortunate ones to have an oval face. It means any (well almost any) style would look good on you. Usually they say if you add a 'but' the preceding to be false, hence: take into consoderation your special features: small head, glasses, delicate features, fine (flat) hair, casual lifestyle.

Glasses are ok (I wear them too ), unfortunately they make your eyes look smaller than they really are. Your style should then put more emphasis on your eyes.
Delicate features need emphasis and no cover up.
Nothing wrong with a small head or shoulders, as you realise that volume does not help you at all (makes your head look even smaller) and hair on the shoulders makes them disappear.

All combined: I would recommend a short style, sliced for volume <> sliced for unkept look!, the slicing then prevents your hair laying flat on your head; side parting to avoid a visually longer face; soft and swept sideways fringe to optically widen the forehead; hair styled back at the sides to put emphasis on the eyes and the width of your head (very gently emphasise eyes with makeup too), V-shaped neckline to put emphasis on your neck (then the shoulders look wider too). Length on top about 2 inches (exact length depends on hair itself), shorter at sides and back. A very precise cut is needed to let your hair flow and complement your curves, to give it natural lines that attract the attention - certainly backside. If you like an even shorter style that keeps the ears free is a possibility too.

Downside: such a style demands regular maintenance!!! Which means going to the hairdresser at least every 6 weeks (which is normal for any precisely cut style to keep shape).

Now don't be surprised if your stylist sees other possibilities - she/he has the best view, not a description ...

Another tip maybe: try drawing yourself in the most basic form (headshape, position eyes, ears, mouth, glasses) in permanent ink. Then using a crayon add hair in all kind of shapes and tastes. You'll see that the styles that balance your face more towards the perfect oval (1/3 forehead, 1/3 nose, 1/3 lips and chin, the same 1/3 at every cheekbone) look better. Don't forget to draw the eyes smaller than normal due to the glasses.

Lot of drawing fun and take your time getting used to the new you! I hope you'll enjoy your new style!
Amelia89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amelia89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2005 at 7:31am
Hi everyone Just to let you know I had my hair done. The hairdresser did not want to cut layers as there is a lot of hair. She just straightened the bob and changed the parting of the fringe. I will experiment with it though. I needed advice from all quarters. Thanks
AC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic