Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Debunking The Experts!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Giles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Debunking The Experts!
    Posted: June 12 2003 at 12:51pm
One way I evaluate diets is to look at the research that the author can cite for his/her diet. While there is plenty of confliciting research available, if the author can't or won't cite anything but their own research, I tend to be suspicious. Three diets that do reasonably well on this measure are MacDougal, Ornish and Fuhrman. Fuhrman has the largest group of references of the three, but interestingly, he mentions both the other two approvingly in a section of his book where he rates other peoples diets.
Giles
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 9:11pm
This is a good question!

For me, it's been years of trial and error that led me to my current, successful way of eating. I take everything I hear in the media and from the experts with a grain of salt. To me, if it sounds unhealthy or radical it's highly suspect.

I don't believe in eliminating any one type of food (e.g, carbs or protein) except for junk/fried/desserts. I let moderation guide me, both where types of food and amounts of food are concerned. To me this makes the most sense intellectually and seems to work from a practical standpoint.

This translates into heavy on the fruits and veggies, light on the carbs and protein, elimination of junky foods, and ensuring that I stick to a healthy 1200-1500 calories a day (while trying to lose weight). I have carbs and protein at lunch or dinner but not both, generally speaking. I tend to eat my bigger meal at lunch rather than dinner these days.

I think I should add that most of my best learning came from various Weight Watcher's plans. On many different occasions I successfully lost weight in their programs, and my current food plan definitely reflects things I learned from them. WW is a great place to learn how to eat healthily and moderately.

Then there's the psychological aspect. I have found that the Saturday night dinner out in a restaurant is important. At that dinner, I pretty much order whatever entree I want. But I only eat a third to a half of it, and I am careful about the side dishes (no fries!). I almost never have dessert at these dinners, but when I do, my boyfriend and I will share (usually cheesecake!) and I make sure he eats more of it. Sometimes I do have a glass of wine or two. I have even been known to have a third glass--and I still lost 60+ pounds.

It's important to allow myself a breather (i.e., Saturday night dinner out). It's a much needed break from the monotony of the diet.

Moderation is my mantra. If it's in any way radical, it's not for me.

[/url]

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 8:40pm
Hi all,

As I mentioned in my last post on this board, I go crazy trying to figure out how to eat right to be healthy, keep weight at bay and not harm my body. So how do you find the best plan for yourself? Even my doctors give me conflicting information.

So how have you all gone about finding your most successful food plans?

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic