Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Breakfast!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breakfast!
    Posted: May 07 2003 at 9:17pm
They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and I believe that. And if you look around you'll notice that two people rarely eat the same breakfast, everyone has their special preferences.

What do you eat for breakfast? How important is breakfast to you? Do you feel it when you skip breakfast?

My weekday breakfast consists of a banana, 16 oz. of apple juice, one whipped-type yogurt (the only kind I like!) and coffee with skim milk and Splenda. On weekends, I usually have an English Muffin, OJ and fresh pineapple instead of the banana + coffee. This really works well for me, much better than my old breakfast, which used to be a big FAT NYC bagel (about the equivalent of 6 pieces of bread!).

If I don't eat breakfast, I am famished by 11:00 AM. I love my breakfast, I couldn't imagine skipping that meal. And the healthy breakfast sets up my entire day for healthy eating.
[/url]

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2003 at 1:20pm
Hi,

I was just talking about breakfast this morning. And I was talking about my biggest problems with my food.

Which is....taking the time to shop, cook and eat right. For the most part I know what food plan works the best for me but it requires me to shop and cook, and I usually am so pressed for time, it falls down on my list.

Usually for breakfast (and I do know that I have to eat) I will grab a piece of sprouted grain pieta bread and maybe a banana or a low fat yogurt. Sometimes I take the time to make whole wheat toast and spread it with almond butter (for my hair).

I can usually handle that OK. Lunch is up and down. Especially when I have a business lunch. Dinner is the worst. I normally don't get home much before 10:00 pm and then I just have the grab phenomena. I know that eating late is a no-no but again, I am usually so pressed for time I wait until the last minute.

I just need to "own" my issues and work on them. Which thanks to this board...I will be able to do. :-)

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2003 at 2:26pm
Breakfast is really important to me, and I treat it just like any other meal. I usually have dinner leftovers for breakfast. On the weekends, I usually have eggs and sausage (or tater-tots). It keeps me energized and people usually put a lot into dinner (preparing and such), but it is equally important to have good nutrients in the morning.

I'm not sure if this works for everyone, but I eat a very small dinner, usually only half of what's cooked. The rest goes into breakfast. I also make sure to bring fruit or juice with me to work so I eat that throughout the day.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2003 at 5:49pm
PP,

That may seem unusual because not many people do it, but actually I think it makes a lot of sense. We need that energy boost in the morning, and we burn the most calories throughout the day--not at night when we're sleeping. I think the main reason people don't eat "meal" foods for breakfast is that we're just not used to it!

Thanks for the invitation to think "outside the box". I'm going to think about what types of protein I might consider adding to my morning meal.

Elissa
[/url]

ParadigmX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParadigmX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2003 at 9:34pm
Typically high-fiber cereals or cherios -- typically something that is low in sugar content and carbs.
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2003 at 12:17am
this is going to sound stupid but if i eat breakfast i'm more hungry all day. does anyone else have this problem?
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2003 at 5:04am
PrincessMonica,

Have you noticed any difference in this phenomenon as a result of what you eat for breakfast? Does it happen more with one type of food than others? I'm very curious, because of course this seems to run counter to what most people report.

Elissa
[/url]

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2003 at 10:10am
Good questions Elissa!

PP, that is exactly why I stopped eating breakfast. As much as my mom would try to get my sisters and I to eat at 7:00 AM...we didn't and that is what I always said.
Where as if I skipped breakfast, I could go all day w/o eating. i did this all through my twenties...Not good!

What took me years to figure out was that protein like, eggs, (no toast), cheese or cottage cheese work best for me....I do oatmeal(rolled oats, not instant) and if i get hungry around 10:00AM I will snack on whole cottage cheese or reg cheese (some kind of white cheese, not low fat...provalone, motz, swiss or feta, veggies are good too...

I don't drink my calories,(unless it's a treat) ie; high calorie designer coffee's, juices, and especially pop.
Water water water........I love, good water.

This works for me, but I know everyone has to figure out what works for them.
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2003 at 11:17am
it seems like when i eat cereal. if i eat cereal forget about it! by lunch i'm so hungry. it is with other foods too. like if i eat something sweet. but mostly cereal.
i know breakfast is suppose to be the most important meal, if possible though i try to wait until lunch.
btw congradulations elissa with the diet board
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2003 at 4:27am
Originally posted by princessmonica princessmonica wrote:

btw congradulations elissa with the diet board

Thanks princessmonica

It's good to "see" you here.

Elissa
[/url]

onefabulousgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onefabulousgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 11:42am
Hi there!

I always eat breakfast. If not, then watch out...mega crankiness!

I usually have one of the following:

1. spinach and tomato omelet

2. soy breakfast sausages (like Boca or Morningstar) and a fruit salad

3. soy protein smoothie made with Whole Foods Soy Protein Powder, berries, some other fruit, ahalf cup soy milk, 1/2 cup calcium fortified oj, and a tablespoon of liquid EFAs I get in the refrigerated vitamin section in Whole Foods (it has flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil among others, great for skin and hair).

If I eat cereal or anything high-carb I am starving by lunch!

Cheers!
Giles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 8:32pm
Hi,
I usually blend up any fruit that sounds appealing. Usually a banana and and orange, but various berries, mangoes etc. often get tossed in along with a bit of tart greens like arugula, romaine lettuce and such. then I add a bit of flaxseed and maybe a walnut.

I then feel very content until well past my old lunch time, and end up eating less for lunch an dinner than before.

I am losing comfortably with this and the variety is enough to keep me having the "same thing" every day.
Firefly Gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefly Gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 6:42am
Lately I have been trying all fruit smoothies for breakfast. It does seem to give me a lot of energy in the morning but they are hard to drink. UGH. Today I had a banana/orange/blueberry smoothie. Yesterday it was banana/orange/walnut/raspberry.

I think breakfast is very important and I agree it is helpful for any diet.

Best wishes,
FG
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 11:29am
Since I've given up the "big" NYC bagel almost a year ago, I have found that a fruit-dominated breakfast keeps me satisfied much, much longer than the bagel ever did.

I have a blender and some good smoothie recipes (I got them from MSN through a link on their main site.) I plan on trying them out one of these days. They sound delicious and filling. I guess they'd also make a good dessert or snack.
[/url]

Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 11:36am
Giles, welcome to the board!

The smoothies sound great. Do you follow recipes, or just wing it? I have some smoothie recipes that sound great, but I haven't tried them yet.

Do you add yogurt, sorbet or milk to your smoothies, or are they fruit-only?

Elissa

Originally posted by Giles Giles wrote:

I am losing comfortably with this and the variety is enough to keep me having the "same thing" every day.
[/url]

Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 11:38am
Firefly Gal,

Welcome to the board! That's a cute icon you have there. :)

Elissa

Originally posted by Firefly Gal Firefly Gal wrote:

Lately I have been trying all fruit smoothies for breakfast. It does seem to give me a lot of energy in the morning but they are hard to drink. UGH. Today I had a banana/orange/blueberry smoothie. Yesterday it was banana/orange/walnut/raspberry.

I think breakfast is very important and I agree it is helpful for any diet.

Best wishes,
FG
[/url]

Giles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2003 at 4:53pm
Hi,
First a note for Firefly gal, and then an answer to a question from Elissa.

Firefly Gal,
I have found that smoothies exactly like the two you described are great. You can make them more liquid by adding a little spring water (or distilled).

Elissa,
I have recipes, but don't follow them. What ever looks good, goes in. I usually have one citrus fruit, mostly orange, but today I used grapefruit, and added a little arrugula, and flax seed. Bananas are in most of my smoothies, but I ran out today, and the grapefruit wouldn't go well with banana anyway

As to adding something like youghurt or milk, etc., I am trying to stay away from dairy, and got some soy mile at the store today (tough to find without salt, but I did). And I will try that as a diluting agent with my next banana/blueberry smoothie

Giles
Giles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic