Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying New Clothes When On A Diet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bratty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bratty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying New Clothes When On A Diet?
    Posted: May 18 2003 at 3:10pm
I was out shopping with a friend and she was stressing out because she said that she didn't want to buy any new clothes "in case she lost weight" because she is on a new diet. That reminded me of all the times that I didn't buy new clothes for the same reason.

Is there a good way to deal with this situation where you are losing weight but don't want to buy "transitional" clothes but don't want to wear your old "fat clothes"? How do you guys handle this?

B
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 8:17pm
Bratty,

I like this topic, as I've been there many times.

I say "screw it" and buy the clothes. I don't believe in spending one's life living for "someday". More importantly, I have always found that I actually do much better on the diet when I have nice clothes that fit me NOW. When you feel beautiful, you treat yourself beautifully. It's all part of my "goddess" philosophy.

I've bought new clothes in different sizes three times since last July, and I don't care! It made me feel great, and I believe it helped me forge ahead with the weight loss. Even now, I'm still buying jeans that I know will only fit me for 4-6 weeks. So what's $30 if it makes you feel beautiful?

Elissa
Feeling beautiful!
[/url]

Starburst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starburst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 5:17am
Hi,

I aqre with Elissa. Why live "on hold" because it will give you the excuse to talk yourself into or out of something you might normally do to stay focused on your food plan.

Star
wheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2003 at 10:16pm
I also agree with buying clothes that fit you at the moment. When they no longer fit you, you can always sell them at a second hand shop, or even better, donate them to chairty!
Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.
- M. Scott Peck
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2003 at 11:02pm
I am in that situation. I go to a tailor for my expensive clothes. I shop at second hand stores for clothes that I can mix and match for a short period of time and I do purchase clothes that are the next size less.
dianefromcanada
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2003 at 4:17pm
Diane,

Do you find it helps your diet to have clothes that make you feel pretty? That has been the case for me.

And as for buying clothes one size too small, for some weird reason, when I have done that I have often ended up never being able to wear the darned thing. I don't know if it's the added pressure of needing to get into something smaller, or if it's the "I'm not good enough now", but it seems to work against me to do that. So I don't do that anymore. I may buy something that is a tad tight if I am certain I will lose 3-5 lbs, but that is as far as it goes now.

How about you guys?

Elissa
[/url]

dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 1:51am
Yes Elisa, I find that always buying clothes that makes one feel great is a good idea.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 12:38pm
I bought a really elegant skirt about a year ago. I was a UK size 14 and the skirt is a UK size 10.

Every few months I have been looking at that skirt in my wardrobe, imagining how beautifully it would skim my legs when I walked and what a feminine silhouette I would cast (as it is in a fine fabric and very well cut).

I tried it on just yesterday and it fits beautifully.

There is power in setting goals that you can visualize achieving and if that can be supported by one piece of much-desired clothing....well it's not expensive and it's a glorious feeling to finally slip into heaven.
Uzi

cait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2003 at 5:45pm
A couple of months ago, I decided to lose weight and get healthy. The upside: I'm eating better, I'm doing regular exercise and people say I'm looking thinner. The downside: all my more recent purchases no longer fit me that well. I've had them too long to take them back, but not long enough to really appreciate them.:(

I'm kind of in a transitional stage right now where I'm wearing a mixture of older clothes (from when I was a bit thinner) and some of my newer clothes that aren't loose enough to be silly yet. Sadly, I do have some newer purchases that I can't take back but also can't wear because they're too big. This might be cause for celebration for other people, but I really like some of the stuff I bought a couple of months ago! This situation has basically pushed me into drawing a line and saying no new trousers or skirts until my weight loss levels off. I might lose some more weight, hey, I might even put it back on and then some. But whilst I'm not sure, I'm not buying any more weight-fussy clothes. Otherwise, it's money wasted.

However, I'm planning on going on a shopping spree after summer!;) I should be the weight I'm going to stay by then. Good luck to everyone else dieting!:)

Cait x
Trillion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 9:03pm
When I started Jazzercise, I bought clothes 2 sizes too small to motivate me into losing the weight and being REALLY dillegent in my workouts.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 9:50pm
Good for you, Cait. You keep up the good work!

You can always look into selling your stuff on ebay. It's rather fun. You can even bundle things together for sale to make it easier for you and more attractive to the buyers. I must caution you though, don't price them too high or they won't sell and you'll still be racking up seller fees.

Please let us know how it's going as you progress.

Elissa

Originally posted by Cait Cait wrote:

A couple of months ago, I decided to lose weight and get healthy. The upside: I'm eating better, I'm doing regular exercise and people say I'm looking thinner. The downside: all my more recent purchases no longer fit me that well. I've had them too long to take them back, but not long enough to really appreciate them.:(

I'm kind of in a transitional stage right now where I'm wearing a mixture of older clothes (from when I was a bit thinner) and some of my newer clothes that aren't loose enough to be silly yet. Sadly, I do have some newer purchases that I can't take back but also can't wear because they're too big. This might be cause for celebration for other people, but I really like some of the stuff I bought a couple of months ago! This situation has basically pushed me into drawing a line and saying no new trousers or skirts until my weight loss levels off. I might lose some more weight, hey, I might even put it back on and then some. But whilst I'm not sure, I'm not buying any more weight-fussy clothes. Otherwise, it's money wasted.

However, I'm planning on going on a shopping spree after summer!;) I should be the weight I'm going to stay by then. Good luck to everyone else dieting!:)

Cait x
[/url]

Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 9:52pm
Trillion, I LOVE Jazzercise. Isn't it fun? Unfortunately, there are no classes where I am now. But when I get married in September and relocate, I will be able to attend classes again. I can't wait. Jazzercise never feels like exercise to me, it's just too much fun!

Good luck with your endeavor, and please let us know how your progress is going!

Elissa

Originally posted by Trillion Trillion wrote:

When I started Jazzercise, I bought clothes 2 sizes too small to motivate me into losing the weight and being REALLY dillegent in my workouts.
[/url]

Trillion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 5:29pm
It's great, isnt it? Since Jazzercise, I've put on ten pounds of muscle weight.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic