Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

20pds in 2 months?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20pds in 2 months?
    Posted: June 27 2003 at 12:41am
i'm very concerned about my husband. he lost 20pds in 2 months. is this a lot? he was 180 now 160! he is 5'11 he is fasting. i feel he is over doing it!!
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 2:26am
Hmmm....that sounds like a lot of weight lost very quickly.

What kind of fast is your hubby on, Monica?
Why did he choose to fast rather than go on a less severe diet?
Is he under medical supervision during his fast?
Does he have any medical conditions?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am a huge believer in fasting - when it is done from an informed position. I have juice fasted and water fasted on many an occassion, but never for prolonged periods. Well, not for a 2 month period which I think is far too long.

I do worry that people try it out as a quick weight loss solution and without checking to see that it is appropriate for them i.e. by checking with a health practitioner.

Speak to you soon.

Uzi
Uzi

Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 7:56am
Monica,

That is indeed rapid weight loss, hower, it is not necessarily unhealthy, particularly at the beginning of a diet.

When I ate very sensibly and worked out daily, I lost 10 lbs the first month and around 6 the second. That didn't continue after the first two months, but it's typical if you're very strict at the beginning, and not necessarily starving either.

Men lose weight at a much faster rate than women (darn them!!!) because they have a much higher fat to muscle ratio. I have even seen very heavy men lose 35 lbs in six weeks.

So I don't think you need to panic, however, now it's time for your hubby to plan a sensible weight maintenance routine. Most men, unless short, shouldn't weigh under 160. From what I recall your hubby isn't short. Men need lots of protein for their muscles and heavy bones, so he needs to have lots of lean protein and even some carbs.

I really don't think 20 in 2 is unhealthy or anything to worry about, but he should stop now, or if he really wants to lose anymore he should increase his food until he's losing no more than 2 lbs per week.

Please let us know how things progres, Monica. And try not to worry. If you do any of the cooking, make nice lean chicken and fish dishes for him.

Elissa
xoxoxoxoxo
[/url]

Giles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 12:45pm
I agree with uzma and Elissa that the amount of weight is not too much. But, if he has been fasting most of that time, he should probably come off the fast soon, since I bet he lost most of that weight in the first month.

If he is not under a doctor's supervision, you might want to get some ketone sticks at the pharmacy. These measure the amount of ketones in the urine (sometimes they also show sugar levels). If he is not in very heavy ketosis after all this time, then he is probably breaking down protein, not fat. That is also a good sign to stop.
Giles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2003 at 5:03pm
uzma he is doing it for relegious purposed. he's getting worse though. he would at least drink tea, coffee, juice. if he didn't eat. now only water. coffee maybe 1 in the morning.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 5:27pm
Monica

I will send you a B-Mail about this.

Uzi
Uzi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 9:38pm
i bmail you back uzma. it's kind of sloppy though. i'm sorry!
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 6:38am
Monica, please keep us apprised about how your hubby is doing. I know that I for one am starting to worry a little.

Elissa
[/url]

Just some boy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Just some boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2003 at 11:48pm
I weigh 127 and I'm 5'7. Whats the problem? Men tendo to be able to lose weight quickly.
Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2003 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Just some boy Just some boy wrote:

I weigh 127 and I'm 5'7. Whats the problem? Men tendo to be able to lose weight quickly.

You HAVE to ask what's the problem?? Just how old are you...wont say what my geuss would be based on some of the comments I've seen in many of your posts. A man looses that much weight, that quickly?? That in it'self is acceptable...but to go on nothing now but water, maybe one coffe in the a.m. ??? By no standards can that be healthy.

Keep us posted on how this plays out girl...we..well most of us *smiles* are genuinely concerned
Mylissa

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2003 at 2:15pm
hi everone. thank you for the concerns. i haven't posted anything because i wanted to see if there was an improvement. believe me my husband has made me a nervous wreck with the not eating! sorry to get graphic, his urine was getting to be like a orange color! that freaked me out because i heard that has to do with your kidneys! anyway he has been eating and drinking more. i love my husbnd very much. i don't want his health in danger.
Giles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 6:06pm
You can get urine sticks at the pharmacy fairly cheaply. You want ones that show uric acid and ketones. My guess is that he is in ketosis which is fine (up to a point), but the urine test will tell.
Giles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic