Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atkins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atkins
    Posted: July 20 2003 at 8:10pm
aaaagggghhhhhh!!!!!!

I am in week 5 of Atkins and I am soooooo grouchy, I think my family is gonna throw me out into the street!!!!

Anyone else experience this? I thought you were suppose to feel good on this diet.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
whitney_brett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 12:58am
Atkins is the low carb diet, correct? How's it been working for you? Aside from the grouchiness :)
"Honey, I've always said if your genitals are on the outside, you're hiding something on the inside!" ~ Karen Walker ...~*Whitney*~...
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 6:33am
Yeah how is it going? Are you able to move to the next step....a few more veggies...maybe fruit???

And as a side note didn't Dr. Atkens just die?? Or is that something I drempt...? hmmm
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 7:20am
He slipped on the ice and eventually died from brain injuries.
[/url]

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 7:41am
REALLY?? Wow, I had no details on it.....wow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 11:07am
Wow...I didn't know he slipped and fell. How ironic--to work so hard and be such a big face in the health world...and die from a slip. That's life!
"Honey, I've always said if your genitals are on the outside, you're hiding something on the inside!" ~ Karen Walker ...~*Whitney*~...
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 5:27pm
I have been in Atkins hell for the past three or four weeks. It is horrible and I can certainly relate to the grouchiness. My husband is on it too but he loves it. He likes all that meat but I feel like all we eat is meat and spinich with an occasional salad thrown in. I cheated today and ate some Cool Whip just for variety. It does seem to be working some but weight is not just "falling off" of me. I didn't weight myself when I started because I thought knowing the truth would depress me to the point that I wouldn't even bother with the diet. My clothes are getting big although the last few days I seem to have plateaued. Since this is a way of life, I am not too sure about my future on it. I really miss bread, pasta, rice, chips, and especially potatoes, not to mention fruit, cereal, and berries. Gosh, just typing this makes me grouchy. Sorry, I don't have any words of wisdom but just know that you are not alone out there.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 9:16pm
how can you go without carbs?? ahhh!!! you women are such brave, brave souls! i'd go nuts. i'm a carbaholic...maybe that's why i've plateaued.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 9:37pm
Dealing with no carbs is a breeze!!!
My grouchiness is coming from within, like a severe PMS or something. The website says you will go through an "adjustment period". Well, that adjustment is lasting into the 5th week now.

I am doing this diet with co-worker who is 14 years younger than me and you guessed it, the weight is just falling off of her. She has even cheated several times but me? no way have I even cheated once. Everyone comes into the salon and raves how good she looks but me? nada.

See I'm alittle grouchy!!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2003 at 4:37pm
I think I am grouchy because this is just so booorrriiinnngggg. There is so much that I cannot eat that sometimes I would just rather skip the whole meal. And of course my husband is losing much faster than me. One reason I went on this with him (he is doing it for medical reasons--I am healthy) is that I will not let him look better than me. That is a huge motivation for me. Otherwise, I don't know.....
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitney_brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 2:32pm
I think I would get grumpy too if I went on a diet with someone and they were losing more weight quicker than me. Then again, if someone took my grains and pasta away from me I'd probably have to hurt them!!!
Amanda Leigh View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda Leigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2003 at 5:06pm
My mom is quite overweight, and her doctor told her to go on the atkins diet just to lose the weight... and then after you've lost the weight, you should slowly get into eating a more well balanced diet to maintain weight... I think that is the best way to do it... The best thing about eating meat is that it holds you over longer and you don't feel like you have to snack... And it produces a hormone (forgot what it is called) that helps you lose weight, while if you eat carbs, it releases insulin, which makes your body store fat... But I definately don't think you should stay on the atkins diet after you've lost the weight you want... at least that is the impression my mom got from her doctor...
Anyway, another thing you can try... divide your body weight in half... and drink that many ounces of water every day for a month, and you will lose about 10 lbs... at first, you'll probably gain (water weight), and you will have to go pee every hour, but your body adjusts to it within a week or so...
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2003 at 5:49pm
I'm glad that things are working for you but i do not believe that the weight loss from the Atkin's diet is worth the health risks.
allie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2003 at 4:09pm
If you're not eating carbs at all while on the atkins diet,then you're not following it correctly. You're not allowed empty carbs,which have little or no nutritional value. You shouldn't feel crummy when not eating empty carbs.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2003 at 9:25pm
At the introduction of this diet you can have 20g carbs a day. It goes up after that.

My doctor, my OBGYN, my endocronologist, and many of my clients in the medical field including doctors, nurse practictioners etc. ALL reccomend and will do the Atkins diet themselves.

The FDA has now endorsed the Atkins diet as of this past May.

If followed correctly, it is a very healthy diet. Once the weight is lost there is a mantaniece plan. That is why it is called a "low carb lifestyle".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 10:49am
Things that i have learned about Atkins, and do Not like:
Atkins wants you to take advantage of being in ketosis while you are on the diet. Ketosis is something that happens during starvation. But most people do not realize that the possible consequences of ketosis are:
muscle breakdown, nausea, dehydration, headaches, irritability, bad breath, kidney problems, and an increase in risk of heart disease.
Ketosis through a pregnancy could lead to death of the baby.
The average american already consumes twice as much protein as is recommended (and that is without even trying) so if you are seeking out high protein foods, you are even more likely to be getting way too much. Too much protein has been associated with kidney disease and osteoporosis.
Before Atkins died, he said he had been following the diet for over 30 years, but his weight was well above the recommendations made in federal guidelines.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 11:39am
Also, LiliBeach, where did you hear about the FDA approving Atkins? Its not that i don't beleive you, its that i would like to be able to read the reasoning they used to say that it is safe and healthy.
allie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 10:37pm
http://atkins.com/helpatkins/faqs/faqlipolysis/index.html

People (and even some ill-informed doctors) often confuse ketosis, which is a perfectly normal metabolic process, with ketoacidosis, which is a life-threatening condition. The latter is the consequence of insulin-deficient subjects having out-of-control blood sugar levels, a condition that can occur as well in alcoholics and people in a state of extreme starvation. Ketosis and ketoacidosis may sound vaguely alike, but the two conditions are virtually polar opposites and can always be distinguished from each other by the fact that the diabetic has been consuming excessive carbohydrates and has high blood sugar, in sharp contrast to the fortunate person who is doing Atkins.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 4:15am
For those of you currently doing Atkins, please give us a status report: how's it going out there?

Elissa
xoxoxoxoxo
[/url]

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 7:37am
Originally posted by turquoise_girl turquoise_girl wrote:

Things that i have learned about Atkins, and do Not like:
The average american already consumes twice as much protein as is recommended (and that is without even trying) so if you are seeking out high protein foods, you are even more likely to be getting way too much. Too much protein has been associated with kidney disease and osteoporosis.
Before Atkins died, he said he had been following the diet for over 30 years, but his weight was well above the recommendations made in federal guidelines.

Hi TG, I had just read (although I don't remember where), that the average American, especially Woman, were protien deficient and need up to 60 grams a day. This seems like a lot. I'm a meat eater and I don't get 60 grams a day very often. ???

I'm interested in this subject...Do you remember where you got your information? I would very much like to read up on it. It seems that what you have heard is the opposite of what I have...

Love to know. Thank's
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic