Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lasik eye surgery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dednewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dednewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lasik eye surgery
    Posted: January 20 2005 at 1:53pm
Has anyone had lasik eye surgery?
What was your experience - good, bad or ugly?

Would you recommend your friend have it done if she considered it?
What can you expect after surgery?
Do they "knock you out" to do it?
Kim J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim  J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2005 at 10:51pm
I would recommend that he or she research the advantages versus the risks before making any decisions. Here is a link to start with:
http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/LASIK/default.htm
ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 9:13am
this is something you should be VERY VERY careful with, if going ahead ensure you know the risks, and consult a highly recommended practicioner.
my cousin had this done around 4 years ago in japan, where it was supposedly the safest and most succesfulmethod available..he is still having some surgery to correct the mistakes.....
by all accounts they don't knock you out..as dentists don't, as it is too dangerous and expensive for such a minor procedure...my cousin tells me he could smell the burning flesh of his retinas..not to put you off or anything!
i have considered it, but for now i am sticking with my monthly day and night contacts....much much easier, and i only realise i have bad eyesight once a month when i change pairs and wear glasses for a break.
i dont think laser eye surgery has been practiced or researched for long enough to trust right now...and advances happen so fast its worth waiting a couple of years ...but thats just my opinion...
i can't take it no more so i'm going on a shopping spree
....H.A.R.M.A.R superstar....
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 7:38pm
Go to www.surgicaleyes.org. There are a lot of people out there who are real sorry they did this. I know people who had it done and are happy but this web site will scare the you know what out of you. I decided to stick with my contacts. So what if I can't see the clock at night? At least I can see with glasses or contacts, I can drive at night, and I can control whether or not I need reading glasses. It really isn't for people over 40.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Afakeleg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afakeleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 1:21am
I had it done in las vegas about 6 months ago. First off, my experience was PRETTY DAMN BAD. But most peoples arn't. and even though it COMPLETELY SUCKED doing it, I'd do it again. Or at least I'd like to think I'd be brave enough to do it again. Everyday I am thankful I don't have to get up from bed at night because I forgot to take my contatcs out... My doctor was horrible. He was in a rush and didn't wait for the numbing drops to start working. So I felt him cut open my eye. Was really horrible. I was terrified of the whole thing anyway. At the time, it was "traumatizing" .. I even thought about going as far to sue him or something. But it was just really bad at the time. I got home took a vicodine (which they didnt give me) drank a couple margaritas and was ok. ... Night vision was HORRIBLE for a long time, and I wasn't even really that impressed by the "better vision"  .... But STILL.. I would do it again. Find a better Doctor... I'll explain more about the procedure if you want to know... but basically.. find a doctor by peoples recomendations whove had it done. ask him if they give you a xanax (to calm nerves) and pain pills before the surgery (most DO, mine DIDNT), numbing drops during.. and meet the actual surgeon. feel comfortable with him before you do it. AND DONT GO TO BUZZARD EYE INSTITUTE IN VEGAS!  ... just to point out i was EXTREMELY near sighted and had an astigmitsm and hated taking out and putting in my contacts, im lazy and ended up sleeping in em a lot which is so not good... its very cool not to have to wear them.
Afakeleg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afakeleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 1:30am
i didnt asnwer your questions did i? ... yes i would recommend it, but be careful about the doc, like i said ... no they dont knock you out, oh how I wished they did!! good places should give you the xanax and ask for a second one if your/theyre still anxious about going in. and pain pills! ... i wonder if they are now doing mild sadations? that would be cool. but i doubt it since the whole procedure is about 5 minutes. ... first you go through a lot of eye tests. like the ones you get about once a year... then they set up an appointment. then they put you in a little room and give you the xanax and pain pills. then when its your turn (took me like 20 minutes) they guide you in, lay you down on a table and the scary stuff happens... when their done the guide you out, sit you on a chair & check your vitals and stuff, and send you on your way with a little care package. ... you have LOADS of eye drops and an infection drop thingy. you have to put them in a lot and on schedule. you tape little plastic eye sheilds over your eyes at night. ... you cant touch, rub, or get water in your eyes for 2 weeks. go in for a follow up.. and ... i think thats about it. had to use A LOT of eye drops, theyre very dry and itchy (burned from the laser! :)). no touchy. ... OH YEH, make sure! they give you some samples, and i mean alot, of the eye drops and the infection fighting drops, because they give you a prescription but they are EXPENSIVE, like 50 bucks for teeny weeny lil bottle. ...  
joybery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joybery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 4:26pm
Lasik eye surgery is nothing but to adjust cornea in eye to clear the vision. It gives relife from spectacles and lenses. Its cost is depends on patient's eye refraction area. It also varies on different countries. This reshaping the cornea improves the eye's focusing ability and improve the patients vision.
Kirbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 10:02pm
I haven't tried it yet for my eye vision is still normal so I don't need to undergo that procedure but I heard that lasik eye surgery makes your eye vision clearer for those who have troubles with their eyesight.
martincrandall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martincrandall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2011 at 2:13am
LASIK eye surgery is a surgery that allows your vision to be corrected which can free you from a lifetime of vision correction aids and supplies.If you do decide to have Lasik eye, do your homework and pick a qualified doctor with a good reputation in your area. If you have an underlying disease, like diabetes, which can cause your vision to deteriorate, you may not be a candidate for LASIK surgery, although there may be alternative surgical procedures which can help you.

DarrelCornell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrelCornell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2011 at 7:10am
Laser eye surgery has a very good mark record of success.One of the key benefit of LASIK is that it mark countless eye problems.It can treat myopia, sometimes mention  as nearsightedness.
karengriffin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karengriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2011 at 11:11pm
I think they give local anesthesia for the eye region. Ive been thinking about it too. I think I have heard more success than failure. However, since its my eyes I am very scared. I am ready to deal with glasses and contacts than to risk my eye health! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic