Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Growing out Grey Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vivcat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Growing out Grey Hair
    Posted: April 10 2004 at 12:46pm
I'm about 50% grey and have been permanent-coloring it to match my natural dark brown. Now I'm thinking of growing out the grey. I have about 3/4 inch of roots that are starting to be noticeable. Is there a good style for a female that will minimize the root look as it grows out? I want to let at least a few more inches grow before I cut the dyed part off (I don't think I would look good with a buzz cut). Currently I have a short bob between earlobe and chin length and like the style; have been planning to get it trimmed back to earlobe soon. I have an oval face.

Any suggestions or experience?
Nyght View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nyght Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2004 at 12:52pm
I currently have about 3" of gray at my roots. I was told to get very pale, very thin highlights woven throughout my hair to help match my roots with my length.

1b/n/ii
4/27/36+
Green Eyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Eyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2004 at 10:28am
The last time I had a full color was in December of 2002.

My hair has now grown out to 50% gray and other dark colors and 50% still bleached a golden yellow. It seems to be taking forever!

It sounds horrible, but I consider it my "bade of courage"!

I look terrible in short hair (it's just under chin length now), so I've opted for this rather "gutsy" look.

The good news is that my natural color has beautiful gray streaks and they are helping to blend in the look.

I thought of highlighting, but I didn't want to risk more damage to the bleached half which is in so-so condition.

I get regular trims so, slowly but surely, I am reaching my goal of having 100% natural hair.

I wouldn't recommend this route to the "faint of heart"!

The good news is that you will enjoy your soft, shiny, new hair compared to the look and condition of the colored hair!

"Too soon old, too late smart."
ming View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 5:02pm
This is what I'm doing now---but I just don't know whether to let it grow out  and ignore the sight of it-  or to have it cut really short , only the once, and let it grow in naturally grey. It grows fast, and I live remote so dont see many people, but the family have threatened me with horrible death if I come home with 3 inch hair......
cinderella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 5:12pm
Green eyes you are so brave. I am 44 and dont have a lot of grey but its mostly around my face and its so aging that I keep getting it coloured. The problem is I cant stand frizzy hair. My hair has a natural beautiful curl but I just cant imagine long curly greying hair. My 14 year old wants me to keep colouring it but Its so unhealthy. Groan!!
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 5:49pm
This is an old thread, so an update from everyone would be interesting.  My 13 year old encouraged me to STOP dying my hair.  The dye has completely gone now and my hair is shiny and healthy.  I would never dye again. 
macKenzie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macKenzie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 6:58pm
Ok  Here goes.
I'm in my 60's and am still quite youthful (mentally & physically).  However, I do wish I could color my grey hair so I could look at least 10 years younger.  I know I'm vain...but I play tennis and I don't want others knowing my age.

The reason I don't color my hair is because I have sensitivities to dyes and stopped coloring it a few years ago.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 7:04pm
Do any temporary colours work on grey hair
Green Eyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Eyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2007 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Green Eyes Green Eyes wrote:

The last time I had a full color was in December of 2002.My hair has now grown out to 50% gray and other dark colors and 50% still bleached a golden yellow. It seems to be taking forever!It sounds horrible, but I consider it my "bade of courage"!I look terrible in short hair (it's just under chin length now), so I've opted for this rather "gutsy" look.The good news is that my natural color has beautiful gray streaks and they are helping to blend in the look.I thought of highlighting, but I didn't want to risk more damage to the bleached half which is in so-so condition.I get regular trims so, slowly but surely, I am reaching my goal of having 100% natural hair.I wouldn't recommend this route to the "faint of heart"!The good news is that you will enjoy your soft, shiny, new hair compared to the look and condition of the colored hair!

Oh my, it's been 3 years since I posted!?

My hair is still natural & in great shape. Will I color again? Never!
"Too soon old, too late smart."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2007 at 3:07pm
I was thinking of letting my coloured hair go grey, then I suffered hairloss and now where its grey/white it looks as though its not even there so I will have to colour otherwise It makes my thin areas even thinner, sigh
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2007 at 5:50pm
Me here again and still happy au naturel.  I've also noticed less volume lately but don't think dye is the answer.  When I have time, I intend to try the latest Dove shampoo that is supposed to give volume.  Their shampoo for dyed hair used to leave mine very silky and easy to comb.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic