Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Japanese hair and beauty book

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japanese hair and beauty book
    Posted: June 08 2003 at 7:05pm
The New Beauty: An East-West guide to the Natural Beauty of Body and Soul by Michelle Dominique Leigh

I have had this book in my possession for a number of years and keep going back to it for inspiration and ideas. It is chock full of good information - and it is a very pleasant read.

The author is an American woman who lives part of her life in Japan.
Ms Leigh has compiled an incredible compendium of traditional and modern health/beauty rituals and recipes. The book offers both a cultural insight as well as practical ideas.

The following topics (not exact chapter headers) are covered:

Skin
Hair
Body
Male beauty
Inner/outer beauty
Bathing rituals
Purification using botanical herbs
Beauty medicines
Scent
Make-up
Shiatsu

One of the most special things about this book are the sections that deal with Japanese aesthetic metaphors.
These are simply, yet movingly described: the beauty that is unfinished, the beauty that exists between the wrapping, the beauty that disappears….etc.
Not quite koans or haiku, but definitely paradigm-shifters.

Another treat is the author’s description of personal experiences: entering a communal bath, her collection of antique Japanese toiletry kits, etc.

Practical dietary advice is abundant.
For example, the foods recommended for healthy hair include black sesame seeds, shrimp, shiso (perilla) and seaweed.
Each of these and other foods is descibed in detail.

Recipes for seaweed shampoo, eggplant toothpaste and various hair and face packs are plentiful. I have tried many of them out and can vouch for excellent results.

I love this book and recommend it unreservedly.
Uzi

3katz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3katz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 3:00pm
I lived in Japan for three years; I think those were some of the best years I ever had. Some of those girls were just the loveliest creatures; beautiful skin, figures, and the glossiest hair I've ever laid eyes on. Maybe your recipes are why they looked so good! I lived in an urban area, and do you know there was only one tanning parlor, which was mostly patronized by Americans! It was too funny!
They carried parasols on sunny days; much smarter than we Americans were! Your review brings back some happy memories.

Jean
3katz
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 3:56pm
I love the way Japanese women maintain their lean silhouettes and the way they carry themselves.
Well, the over-30s anyway.
The teenage Japanese girls who go to school near me are round-shouldered slouches with bad skin.
I wonder if they will transform into elegant beauties in a decade or so.

Jean, you are fortunate to have lived in Japan. I am fascinated by the culture, martial arts, history, art and food of Japan.

I really wish to travel there - later this year perhaps, but wonder about racism.
I have heard bad reports that the Japanese are disrespectful towards non-whites (I am of Pakistani origin).

I would appreciate your opinion on this, if you don't mind.

Thanks for your time.
Uzi

Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2003 at 12:23am
I have heard the stereotype that most arab-ish people are called Iranians regardless.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2003 at 12:54pm
I can live with that.

It's not getting served in shops and restaurants that would bother me.
And physical abuse.

That kind of overt discrimination wakes the demon in me and I am liable to totally lose it.

Uzi

caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2003 at 10:49am
Uzma,

Thank you for the recommendation. I checked this book out of my local library. It is a nice, interesting read. I don't think I will have the time or warewithall to find the ingredients she lists in many of her beauty recipes. However, I enjoy reading about the Japanese holistic approach to healing and beauty. I like the parts where she discusses Buddhists' approach to beauty and inner beauty - looking into the mirror and calming/softening the face by getting rid of negative feelings, etc. That I can definitely practice.

Thanks again.
Caramia
joec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2004 at 9:50pm
Great Book!
Remy LeBeau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remy LeBeau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2004 at 9:58pm
Jessica81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 5:44am
ooooh, this book sounds really interesting.  I've always thought Japanese woman were just blessed with great genes.  Maybe their products can keep me looking young, and make my hair all shinny. LOL
imane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2013 at 1:36pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic