Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What the Body Remembers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cora View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What the Body Remembers
    Posted: June 10 2003 at 10:24am
Yes. Thanks. I love these new book reviews.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 4:02pm
Jean

This book sounds right up my street. It actually describes hair oiling rituals. That is too good - I am a hair oilaholic!!!

Must go directly to Amazon and check it out.

Thanks for the review.

Uzi

3katz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3katz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 2:50pm
It's a novel by Shauna Singh Baldwin. The opening quote from the book jacket reads:

It is 1937 in a a small village in Punjab, India, the beginning of the tense and tumultuous decade that will culminate in the violent and still controversial Partition between India and Pakistan. Roop is a young girl whose mother has died in childbirth and whose father is deep in debt. And so she is elated when she learns that she is to become the second wife of a wealthy Sikh landowner...

As I told Kintaro on the other board, this is a great read. It's not light reading, but it's not all politics. It gives you a good idea of what it is like to be a native female in pre- and post-colonial India. The descriptions of hair and beauty are so colorfully and lushly written. All this talk of hair care, especially the oiling rituals described in the book
so remind me of what I'd been reading as I lurked the boards.

Thanks, Uzma, I wouldn't have ever known this board was here! OMG, another place to nerd away the hours!

Jean
3katz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic