Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"History's lighter strands"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
3katz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3katz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "History's lighter strands"
    Posted: June 15 2003 at 3:00pm
On Blondes Bloomsbury Publishers, is a nonfiction book written by Joanna Pitman. It is reviewed by an Associated Press writer named Gretchen Gurujal and published in our local Sunday newspaper. The book discusses the popularity and prejudices of being a blonde (I think it refers to females, since of most of the historical examples given are female) and the lengths people have gone to achieve it. Examples cited are (I hope you're not eating, as I was when I first read the review, so consider yourself warned) pigeon dung in ancient Rome, horse urine in Renaissance times, as well as familiar remedies such as peroxide and natural products used as lightening agents. I haven't actually read the book, but the stats and what blondeness has meant through the ages printed in the review have piqued my interest. If you've read it, even though I know it's a new book, let me know what you think. Being a dark brunette myself and never having the nerve to do the two process thing, I'm always interested in how the other half lives.

Jean
3katz
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic