Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Getting Started On The Path To A Prom/Homecoming Updo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Started On The Path To A Prom/Homecoming Updo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Started On The Path To A Prom/Homecoming Updo
    Posted: September 26 2003 at 9:57am
Updo Cheat Sheet

Yes you or you and the combo of a good friend can help each other do cool updos at home. If I can do it (which I just did this summer on models at HairBoutique.com) you can do it. What does it take? Practice, practice and practice.

Rule #1: Don't wait until the last minute. Stuff happens that can impact your hair. The weather could be bad, you might not like the style you originally selected etc etc. Always select at least 3 styles that you like and then learn how to do all of those on your hair either by yourself or with the help of a good friend. A hairstylist is also an option but make sure that you have an appointment in plenty of time.

Rule #2: Don't post an SOS on Net messageboards w/out including either an image of yourself, a desired style that you want to create or both. Although most messageboard people want to help, most are not psychics and can't read your mind.

Rule #3: Flip through lots of mags to get ideas of what you would like and then be realistic about what your hair is capable of.

Once you have 2-3 styles and samples and a friend to help then follow these steps:

1. Allow yourself or your designated friend plenty of time to practice on your hair. It may take a few tries before you figure out exactly where against the scalp you wish to position a bun or twist for the best balance and symmetry.

2. Most buns and twists work best on hair that is NOT newly washed. If you must shampoo your hair before you create an updo style, create a bun or twist while your hair is still damp. Pin it well so that when it starts to dry wild strands will not pop out.

3. Some hair accessories will work better than others depending on the size and thickness of the bun that is created. Pony elastics that fan out and snuggle up against buns provide a sleek look. Beaded elastics or accessories with large stones may create a more casual look. Experiment.

4. Twist ponytails and/or buns tighter or looser to get a different sculpted look.

5. Use your fingers as you are twisting to guide the buns and twists into the shape that you design.

6. Don't be afraid to cheat with Blax bands or other elastic bands that will be ultimately hidden by your buns. When available, use bands that are the same color as your hair.

7. Pin, pin and then pin some more. Pin around the perimeter of the buns or updos to honor the natural shape of the bun. There are never too many pins, especially if the bun holds indefinitely.

8. Have fun and experiment. Being creative is the best part of this entire process.

Check out HairBoutique.com Updo and Prom sections for up to the minute ideas.

Best wishes,
Karen

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
asdf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asdf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2004 at 3:30pm
Hi!
I have prom coming up soon and I cannot seem to find a hairstyle on the web that I like a whole lot. I am going to have a hair dresser do me. I have an oval face. I have shoulder length, blonde hair. I will be wearing a long, slinky, spaghetti strapped, backless gown, so I will need either an updo or a partial updo (with most of it up). Maybe an updo that falls onto the nape of my neck. I am really in a bind here b/c I need pics to show my hairdresser what I want, but I cannot find what I am looking for. I love princess-like, feminine, romantic (when I say romantic I do not mean hairstyles from the Pride and Prejudice era... which is what I typically get.), and classic. See what I mean about not describing it well? How much more general could I be!? Ha Ha. I look bad with my hair pulled tightly, and completely away from my face. I love curls..., and when I say curls, I mean like... Deborah Messing. My hair is straight/very slightly wavey, but will take curl. It is already color treated blonde, so I prefer no perms, body waves, or heavy treatments. I am picturing something medieval, or Celtic. Maybe a delicate updo. Something that says I am Julia Roberts in runaway bride, or faith hill at the music awards. I know this request is difficult, there being so many specific preferences and all, but I hope someone can help me!!!!! Plz. Send pics to this address: pigletsnap@hotmail.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic