Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Chi hair straightening system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
jbrime123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbrime123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2008 at 6:43pm
I just posted something here about my same experience.  You can take a look at it if you want.

I am sooooo sorry to read of your misfortune.  I have spoke with a number of hair stylists and none but one of them said that it COULD be fixed but the chances of finding anyone who wouldn't make more of a wreck of my hair would be slim to none.  He suggested that instead of risking the very delicate process of having the hair mended, that I use protien and conditioners in my hair and sadly I should consider having it cut in order to lessen the weight on my already fragile thining hair.
CryCryCryCryCry
I spent 3 years growing my hair out and now it has all been in vein.  I do think though that I am able to feel for those that have cancer and lose their hair.  I guess I should feel blessed that I am not bald........YET!
Anyway.  Just look for my name in the posts and you will find it.
Almost Bald
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2006 at 12:19pm
You're very welcome.

So glad to hear I was able to help, and that you found another salon. Let me know how the consultation goes. Good for you for doing your researchSmile

Much love, Shary
aurora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2006 at 10:33am
Shary,
Thanks for your help.  I switched salons and set up a consultation with a stylist there.  She sounds very knowledgeable and has years of experience.  She does a variety of relaxing treatments so we will see.  I will be asking a lot of questions before I decide. 
Thanks again, it is much appreciated!  Happy holidays!
Keep on shinin'
Dawn
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 8:04pm

Hi Aurora,

Bio Ionic is an american made product. That was actually the product used on my hair. The real experts don't like it, and most bad reviews are about the Bio Ionic system. That being said, if the person applying the treatment is in fact a chemical expert you should have no problem.

However here is the problem that I see with your stylist: She told you she doesn't recommend the Japanese products for your hair? Did you ask her why?  I bet if you do, she won't be able to provide a convincing argument. Both American and Japanese formulas have the same chemical, Thio. The difference is in the formulation. Remember, you can give 10 different chefs eggs, flour and sugar, and each one would come back with a different cake.

The Japanese are the ones who invented the product to begin with, and were perfoming the service for years before it was brought up to the U.S. Who do you think makes a better product?
Also find out who trainned the stylist. If it was the company that makes the Bio-Ionic, she wasn't trainned properly. Their trainning according to the Japanese experts is incorrect. I believe it is as well. When I got it done, my stilyst (who I love) had a big certificate hanging on the wall, which stated she was certified to perform Bio-Ionics TR. I thought that was enough. Well, $600 and a head of damaged hair later, I figured I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, my stilyst is a great stilyst, I still go to her for hair cuts, and would go to her for color if I colored my hair. I just won't go to her for chemical straightening. And she had an album with a bunch of clients she had performed the service on. Of course the won't show you pictures of the same client 6 months later.

I don't blame her. It was my fault for not doing my homework. At the time the treatment had just come out and there was not as much information available as there is now.

I also don't like the fact that the stylist is insisting on you getting the service. If she was in such high demand, she wouldn't be doing that.
And a good stilyst never insists on a client getting a service that they are not 100% sure about. The fact that she told you she doesn't recommend the japanese products for your hair, tells me she is not a chemical expert, just another stylist trainned by the company.  A real expert would have taken the time at your initial appoinment to answer all your questions in detail, and explain exactly what the process is, so you could be at ease. If someone tells you they don't recommend a product for your hair, they should be able to tell you why, from a chemical point of view. If they are not able to, then they simply just don't know, and they are BS'ing you. Which I think is what she is doing.

If the Japanese products are not right for your hair, then that means TR as a whole is not recommended for you.

I have fine, super curly, super frizzie type 3B hair. TR is just not for me, because #1 I still had to blow dry my hair to get it straight (it just didn't frizz afterwards, even if I would sweat) and #2 the regrowth was just too noticesable around my frontal hair line. Is a latin thing. We have the curliest hair in that area. The rest of my head is fine and the regrowth is OK.
I found I can get the same results with a regular Thio relaxer (Rusk radical anticurl, L'oreal Xtenso). Once I blow dry and slightly flat iron, my hair stays just as straight as with the TR. I use a real good flat iron though. I have a Sedu. Which allows me to just quickly pass the iron over my hair and voila! beautifull, smooth, shiny and frizz free hair until the next time I wash. I wash my hair every 3 days, because you are not supposed to wash every day when you have curly hair. So that means I only have to do it twice a week. No one, except for the people that know me well, knows that my hair is curly. Everyone thinks I have naturally straight hair. It only costs a fraction of what TR costs, and the best thing is, if you want to wear your hair curly you can. The curls will be smooth, looser and shiny as opposed to TR'd hair, which will be stiff and frizzie if is not blow dried (that is for people with naturally super curly hair). So there is an alternative, and it will give you much better results at a fraction of the price. So look into it. Look in the straight talk forum, for the post tittled the fight against humidity. You can read the products I use and my hair regimen there. You might just find the answer you are looking for. As for that stylist, I wouldn't let her touch my hair. But that is my personal opinion.

Hope this helps. Good luck and great hair.
Much love, Shary
aurora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 1:37pm
What do you think about the Bio Ionic treatment?  I scheduled a consultation at another salon to discuss this one.  The salon claims that the stylist is in high demand to perform this treatment.  We'll see.  It is a lot more expensive than the CHI tr. 
Is it worth it?  Heck maybe when I go in the stylist will tell me that she will fix my curly hair so that I will like it...
Keep on shinin'
Dawn
aurora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 10:34am
I appreciate the info.  I am leaning towards not getting it done after reading the postings here.  My hair is fine, frizzy and very curly.  Any advice on products that will help?  It seems that I have tried just about everything and nothing seems to help.  Once I turned 30 it seems the health has deteriorated.  It used to be shiny and not so frizzy (of course I do live in Houston now vs MN--could be a factor).  Now it looks like a rat's nest.  I have to wear it up everyday because it is just so unmanageable.  ???  The stylist was telling me that she didn't recommend the Japanese products for my hair???  I am so confused and just fed up with it.  I don't know if I should find a different salon or what.  It just takes me so long to really trust anyone.  With fine, curly hair you have to be so careful because the wrong cut is disaster!  Believe me, I have had many!  I go home in tears. 
Oh well, guess I need to learn to live with it.  I so badly want straight hair, it would be that much easier and could get real cute haircuts.  I do flat iron it on occasion it is just so much work and seems to be very bad for my hair. 
Thanks again!
Keep on shinin'
Dawn
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2006 at 2:26am

My advice to you is find out what treatment is going to be used. Stay away from anything that is not Japanese (Bioionics, Matrix etc). Find out how many clients has your stylist performed the treatment on. If they tell you two stylists will be performing the service, don't get it done. That means they don't have enough experience and lack the speed of hands. That also means you will end up with two different textures in your hair, since two different people will have different methods, different speed of hands, and different pressure when straightening the hair. DON'T BE AFFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS. This is your hair we are talking about. My hair is not as thick as it used to be before the TR. I would say I lost a good third of my hair. I had alot of hair to begin with, so that saved me from being baldCry. And the process  to regrow the hair was painfull to say the least. If you have the soft, loose type of curls, then you won't need to blow dry for you hair to remain straight. If your hair is really curly, then you will still have to blow dry your hair straight. However it will stay straight even if you sweat.

And it is not true that the treatment makes your hair healthier. No chemical process does. You are actually changing the texture of your hair. How healthy can that be?Wink All chemical process will cause some damage to the hair. The difference is the degree of damage. If performed correctly, the damage will be the normal, undetectable damage. When performed incorrectly, it will be disaster. It can leave you with minor problems like the 90 degree angle spoken of above (which happens when the product is comed against the scalp, which should never be done)which will eventually become breakage, or it can cause permanent hair loss. Take into consideration the comitment that this is, as well as the expense. This is a serious process. If you have the slightest doubt about the people performing the service, do not get it done. Check out verticalsinhair.com. You will find alot of information there.

Hope this helps. Good luck and beautiful hair

Much love, Shary

Edited by Sharyg11 - December 10 2006 at 2:29am
aurora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2006 at 6:00pm
I have very fine, curly hair.  I have a TR treatment scheduled for a few days from now.  I have read a lot of bad reviews but some real good ones.  Does anyone have any advice?  I don't know which treatment my salon uses....
I have terrible hair but would die if it started falling out or breaking off..
The good reviews have said that it makes your hair a lot more healthy and honestly it seems that the chemicals can't be any more damaging than a blowdryer and flat iron.  Does that still need to be done everyday or does this treatment help to make it easier, depending on the hairstyle of course?

Hope someone can shed some light.  If all reviews were bad I wouldn't be still considering it but the good ones seem to make up for the bad.
Keep on shinin'
Dawn
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 10:27pm

Michelle, the best person to get that information from is Steve Tcherkezian. Just find any post on this forum where he has posted an answer and ask him. Or log on to his website Verticalsinhair.com. You will find all the info you need. Steve is the number one TR expert in north america. You can't go wrong with any advice he gives you.

The advice I found on his site, saved my hair after my horrible experience with TR. And it could prevent you from going to the wrong stylist or using the wrong product. He is also an expert on Xtenso which baby flower mentioned above. Just so you know, when done correctly(either TR or Xtenso) you should not experience any breakage or damage at all. If you do, your stylists is not a chemical expert (most stylists aren't). See, after my horrible experience I did alot of research. And found out that chemicals are a whole other deal for stylist. Just like different doctors have different specialties, which they must study after getting out to school, stylist have to study further to make chemicals their specialty. I'll tell you though, there are very few. And just like you will read on Steve's site, even the ones that are "teachers" at their salons, aren't experts. They learn through the training provided by the companies which manufacture the product, which to my surprise, acording to experts like Steve, is totally wrong. So make sure you do your homework on this one.

Good luck and Beautiful hair,
Shary
baby*flower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baby*flower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 6:45pm
I had xtenso done to my hair which is a "smoothing system" probably the same thing as the straightening ones you guys have had bad experiences with but milder. Anyway my hair was super straight after she did the treatment and I went through some of the same things, my hair started forming a 90 degree angle at the top and breaking off, It didnt breakoff too much but it gave me fly away hair and i had to be very very careful with my hair  untill that part grew out, i have to say that it did make my hair more managable but I had thick hair to begin with and it wasnt manageable, after i got this done even though i experienced some hair loss it grew back and its been over a year now since i got this treatment done and my hair is about half way down my back. Overall I dont really regret getting this done but it would have been nice to see how my hair would have turned out at this point if i didnt loose hair, not sure if it made a diff or not.
michelleinGA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michelleinGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2006 at 6:08am

Hi All,

I am hearing many comments on the CHI products but I am under the impression that The Liscio Japanese product is by far the best of the straightening TR forms. Has anyone had experience with that product? I do not think I would use the CHI. I want to doit but want to find a salon using LISCIO,,, Any info would be a great help!!
Nicki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2006 at 4:01pm
The first time I had my hair straightened with the CHI, it felt very soft and smoothe but has a slight waxy feeling to it.  It also stuck out in spots and wouldn't go down when I tried to make it.  But after about 2 months, It was better.  After that, it was fine everytime I got it straightened.  Don't quote me on this but maybe it is because the CHI completely changes the texture of your hair and your hair needs to be "trained" all over again.  Or maybe you have cowlicks? 
delta4ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delta4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 9:29pm
I also just had my hair straightened with the Chi system today, and I am really worried about the results.  I have had it done in the past with a different system (can't remember the name), this time was the first time I had the Chi.  My hair seems to be "stuck" in place, and in some places has "doll hair" texture.  Has anyone had this experience?  Is this a normal thing that will go away when I wash it?  When I say stuck in place, I mean if I try to move hair over the part it flops back exactly where it was. 
Hope someone can enlighten me.

Nicki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 2:35am
My mistake....I just realized the topic HAS been discussed since Dec of 2003!  Glad to see that.  I hope my last post helps someone.  By the way, my hair has always been Thick, coarse, curly and frizzy.  The CHI made my hair look beautiful, smoothe, soft and healthy.  I am going to miss having it done so much!!!!  Just be sure you go to a good salon and be tested for any allergies beforehand.
Nicki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 2:32am
I know that this topic hasn't been discussed since December of 2003 but I just came across this site this week.  I think I may have some good news about the Chi Transformation System for some people.  I know not everyone will benefit from this but I hope I can help.  I have been using The CHI System for 1 1/2 years now.  I get my roots done every 6 months and I have never felt better about myself.  My last treatment was in April and this past week, I noticed 4 bald spots that were extremely painful and itchy and red.  I freaked out.  I was so scared that I was losing hair so quickly.  Was I sick?  Lupus???  Was I going bald??  Was it the CHI?  It had to be....it was the most aggressive thing I have done to my hair.  I found this forum and immediately was convinced it was the Chi even though my hairdresser did a terrific job on me.  On Tuesday, I went to a dermatologist and she wasn't convinced my hairdresser was to blame...or the potency of the product for that matter.  She suspected I had contact allergies.  She did a T.R.U.E. Allergen Patch Test on me and we found that I am allergic to one of the ingredients in the CHI.  THE SAME INGREDIENT IS ALSO IN MY SHAMPOO!!!  My hair dresser did do an allergy spot test on me before using the product and I didn't have any reactions.  However, a reaction won't always occur immediately.  The more you are exposed to the allergen, the worse your body reacts.  That is why my reaction was so delayed.  After I did the treatment the last time, my scalp felt weird....like the hair was being tugged in spots.  I realize now that it was a MILD allergic reaction but by washing my hair with shampoo I am MILDLY allergic to, after time, it caused my scalp to become inflamed and my hair to fall out.  I think if people want straight hair, the CHI system is still a fantastic way to get amazing hair that you have always dreamed of.  But before you do, do yourself a favor and see a dermatologist and ask to have the T.R.U.E. Allergen Patch Test done.  Compare the results of the test with the ingredients in the bottles to see if you may be allergic to anything.  If so, avoid it.  If not, enjoy the hair you have always dreamed of! 
malishka31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malishka31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 11:00am
I have curly hair, and my stylist has offered to "straighted" it various times.. and i always say no.
Regardless of the system that is used, IT IS DAMAGING TO YOUR HAIR.
Nothing is worth that, everyones goal should be HEALTHY hair, not brittle and damaged hair.

I personally would never straighten just because of what these products do. They are attempting to permantly break the protein bonds of your hair and to change their shape.

I enjoy having straight hair and i have spend over 500 on Kerastase and T3 Tourmaline blowdryers and irons, ... it only takes me 20-30 minutes to perfectly straighten my mid back hair, usually it takes me 3+ hours, but for some reason this dryer and iron make a huge huge diffrence.

All i am saying is that everyone who wants to straighten should really give a higher consideration to these horror stories b/c even the small chance that any of this may happen is to big .

PS. Hugs and Kisses to the people who suffered through this.
help me please! View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote help me please! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2005 at 10:33am
I had the chi done about a month ago and i went and had it cut yeterday.(i went 2 a different salon 2 have the chi done) and i went to the one i have gome to for years. My stylist was about 2 wash my hair and she was searchinf thru my scalp and told me that i have a LOT of breakage in the front and on the crown of my head. I had been noticing more and more hair coming out. Anyway she told me to go back to the other salon and tell them about this. I have to call 2morrow and demand that they give me FREE deep conditioning treatments. I am really scared. What else should I do? My mom is freaking out and so am i. i dont want to experience hair loss like that at 15. I got this done to make my life easier and now it is the hair from hell. Anyone considering the CHI dont do it. I read this b4 i had it done, but my friend that had it done convinced me to do it... hers came out gr8 and we even went to the same lady
Thanks everyone!
KatieMac View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 1:02am
Hi everyone,

I had Chi done to my hair one week ago. No breakage, stiffness in a tiny little spot, and no bends. BUT... I still have curly hair. It made it slightly straighter, but I still have to blow dry w/ a round brush for a long time. Bottom line... if you are going to spend this much on your hair, do not go somewhere that uses the Chi product. Obv. it can be ineffective or damaging, so I would definately reccomend just steering clear. Good luck to everyone out there with problems, I'm so sorry to hear about it and you are in my prayers.
OniGiri View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OniGiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 11:19pm
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to offer a little bit of reassurance...
I've had the CHI system done now three times. I just got my third time done 2 days ago. The first time I did it, I experienced a lot of what everyone else has experienced. I had bends, and I wondered whether it was normal to have hair so stiff at the scalp. I had a little breakage in one spot, but I think this was due to the fact that I went swimming shortly after the treatment, and neglected to treat my hair gently. Although I was worried about how it felt, after I washed it and it grew out a little, it felt just fine! I'm so sorry about what happened to those who had bad experiences... but I think sometimes it just depends on the person and their hair. Though mine had bends, it grew out and straightened itself out pretty well. The second time I did it, I had better results, still with the stiffness, but it went away after a while, and looked great. I know it doesn't turn out this way for everyone... =( But don't give up hope! Sometimes things have a way of working out. Good luck to you all!
nervous View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nervous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 6:21pm
i am also curious... is it good to have your hair tested before you have this treatment done? The place that I am going to told my mom to bring me in there. Is this the sign of a good salon?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic